lewis and michael ; berger transfer and storage - feedback please

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
anvs

lewis and michael ; berger transfer and storage - feedback please

Postby anvs » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:36 pm

ok first of all I do appreciate this site admin and contributors for the time they take to provide info...thanks in advance..Iam paying the expenses out of my pocket and want to get the best for my money, so any help is appreciated, greatly.

i will use this thread and update all my moving experience

Iam moving from Cleveland to Chicago and I am planning on considering L&M, dayton,ohio OR Berger transfer and storage, SOlon, Ohio and they both seem to be ok.

Any one has any experience with either of them?

I am asking for 1-3 days delivery time and iam asking for a written commitment from them, is that feasible? 'coz they might say 1-3 days verbally but what will happen if i dont get the goods delivered later until 11 days or so?

Berger gave me a guaranteed price and they say the guranteed rate reduction, if acutal weight of is less then 4900 lbs , the GPP price will be reduced by $10 per cwt for the difference between actual and estimated weights..

(what does the above mean? what is cwt stand for?) so lets say if my actualy weight is only 3900 pounds then the price would be just $100 less based on the above ??

L&M gave me a non binding quote...and they gave me $2400 est for 4000 lbs...also LM said they will go based on weight and they didnt come by my place to give a in house estimate,, should that raise alarms?

Any other info on these companies, I mean feedback is highly appreciated..

~averagejoe

farrah7031

Re: lewis and michael ; berger transfer and storage - feedback please

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:30 pm

This is what we have for reviews in OH:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7107#77107

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:20 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:43 pm

I have to agree with Rick. If you need your items quickly (1-3 days) for the size of shipment you're talking about, the best way might be to do it yourself. The only way such a move would be profitable to the agent would be to register the move with the vanline, which would almost insure a delivery window of more than 3 days, but probably not 11. Somewhere in between....
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

anvs

Postby anvs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:07 am

folks, tx for ur responses, berger said tehy could probably do 1-5 days and LM said thy could do next day best case..or few days later...

the question is can i get a written commitment for that?

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:14 am

When you are ready to commit to a mover, you will have the dates in writing on an order for service for you to sign. They sign it, too.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

anvs

Postby anvs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:53 am

what if they fail todeliver on that date? as a customer what are my righjts?

thanks a lot for your time

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:02 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anvs

Postby anvs » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:40 pm

ok folks

I just wanted to share my exp. with Lewis and MIchael (these folks are INDIANA based) moved from OH to IL

Overall I was satisfied...

the sales person was courteous and helpful. Dispatcher was helpful. Truck driver was courteous and friendly.

for loading the truck driver came 3 hours late citing some truck problems..

overall I got most of my items in good shape with some exceptions

1) crib part was missing
2) one of our boxes packed was missing
3) one of our chairs part was broken
4) unless I misunderstood what I was told by the sales person that the mattresses will be bubble wrapped Or "wrappeD", well they were just "wrapped" with blankets and god knows how they statyed by the time we got it they were little dirty and soiled..
5) initally I was told the truck will unload on a wed however when I called the truck driver he said its gonna be Thu...I circled back with the sales person and the dispatcher (who waslittle annoyed coz I told the person that I was surprised on the change in delivery..)

6) not sure what happened/transpired disp told me that it will be wednesday...so it was on time as promised...good thing I followed up...we had an infant so we were really sensitive on goods arrival...

so overall i have to say service was fair and reasonable, i would probably recommend them to my friends..

thanks to TIm, other folks on this thread 4 helping me shoo away some bad movers and try get some decent ones...coz of this site..

(for instance Business on the move LLC I believe was listed as out of service on DOT site and guess what they were still operating and this guy kept calling me and bugging me when I would move..what??? good god i didnt fall for them ..)

Peace.....
Live and Let Live!!!
S'jay

BillAdams

Re: **lewis and michael ; berger transfer and storage - feedback please

Postby BillAdams » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:59 am

Thanks for coming back to tell us about your experience.
Although it didn't seem to be a "perfect move", you didn"t get scammed either.
Best to you in your new location.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Diane

Re: **lewis and michael ; berger transfer and storage - feedback please

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:58 am

Thanks for this review, which I moved to the Superlist. As I read what happened (missing/damaged items), I couldn't help wondering whether there would have been an outcry about this move if the mover had been Moovers, Inc. rather than a van line agent. I agree with Bill's remarks, but not being scammed is a pretty low bar, quality-wise.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”