American Red Ball - are they OK? (Moving NY -> NC)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
GinB

American Red Ball - are they OK? (Moving NY -> NC)

Postby GinB » Wed May 19, 2004 10:59 am

Hi Everyone,

Like many people this site has put the fear of God into me about moving. :) I'm moving from NY to NC in June. Big move.

Had a person from Amercian Red Ball (U. Santini Inc.) stop by today for estimates. He seemed businesslike, asked good questions and they do charge by weight etc.

Their office is 239 15 St. in Brookyn NY.

Anyone used them? Any bad reports or anything? DOT reports?

Thanks so much for any feedback!
Last edited by GinB on Wed May 19, 2004 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- GinB

Re: Americam Red Ball - are they OK?

Postby 23 » Wed May 19, 2004 11:03 am

Do you have a DOT # or MC # for that agent?

GinB

Re: American Red Ball - are they OK? (Moving NY -> NC)

Postby GinB » Wed May 19, 2004 11:07 am

Oh yes, sorry:

DOT# T3790
MC# 46989
-- GinB

Postby 23 » Wed May 19, 2004 11:18 am

Gin,

This company seems to check oout fine.

Did he give you a "Guaranteed Not to Exceed" estimate?

Did he give you a new "Rights & Responsibilities" booklet dated 5/5/04?

Are you getting at least two more in home estimates?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 19, 2004 11:24 am

I agree with 23. If you use U. Santini, please get back to us since many people ask us about reliable movers in the NY area and it's been difficult for us to find companies that we feel comfortable mentioning. This one, which seems to have been founded in 1930 or 1940, might be a good candidate. (Interesting that someone came on this website about a week ago looking for descendants of the original 7 Santini brothers who were in the moving business, and someone answered that a descendant lived on Long Island.)

GinB

Postby GinB » Wed May 19, 2004 11:27 am

They didn't bring us the rights booklet, no. Is that very bad, maybe just an oversight - we did mention that we go online to look things up about movers etc.

The estimate sheet says "Non Binding Estimated Cost" - the actual cost would be known after the weigh-in on the truck, and we can go to that when it's done they said.

We did have one prior estimate, it was around the same.

We will probably hve another company do an estimate soon too.
Last edited by GinB on Wed May 19, 2004 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
-- GinB

GinB

Postby GinB » Wed May 19, 2004 11:28 am

Diane,

I will certainly get back to this site if I use them. :) This site is great!
-- GinB

GinB

Postby GinB » Wed May 19, 2004 11:49 am

I think we'll have Liberty Moving & Storage (United Van Lines agent it says) come next. DOT 077949, NYS DOT 9211, MC 67234.
-- GinB

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Wed May 19, 2004 11:53 am

Hmm... I have heard of Red Ball but I don't recall the context right this second... let me dig through the ol' memory banks and see what pops up...
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Trish

Postby Trish » Thu May 20, 2004 6:51 am

I'm also moving from NY, but to FL. I've had U. Santini and Liberty come out for quotes. The difference between the two (based on same weight) is almost $3,000 apart. I did also have Bekins (White Glove) come out, but five days later and still no estimate.

I'm also so confused. Santini didn't give me any literature except the non-binding estimate. Liberty gave me some booklets and flyers to read, but the not the Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.

Any insight on either of these companies would be appreciated since my move is in four weeks and I need to make a decision.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu May 20, 2004 7:11 am

This is pretty distressful. Every moving company is required to provide you with a copy of the "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move" booklet. I have to ask... if they start off by breaking what some may consider the lesser regulations then what is going to stop them from breaking the more important regulations?

I would confront these companies and ask why you weren't given a copy of the booklet when they provided the estimate. I also believe that every consumer should be aware of their rights and responsibilities. You can (and should) read the booklet online here:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/factsfigs/rights.htm

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

cmj911

Postby cmj911 » Thu May 20, 2004 9:48 am

I was told Red Ball doesn't make trips to FL. I did have a company who gave me a low quote, but can't seem to find any information on. the company is "Cross America Van Lines" in Long Island City, NY. Once again, they didn't give me the required booklet, but did spend an hour with me answering all of my questions. Has anyone heard of this company

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 20, 2004 10:57 am

Its website is www.cross-america.com and its MC license number is 436268. Safersys.org is acting up so I couldn't get more information at this time, but beware of a "low quote." The company may well be dubious.

I suggest that you and others posting on this thread check out what "x-countrymove" has posted on this website under "My moving experience" at http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12283.

People getting quotes from apparently reputable moving companies (not dubious ones or overt scammers) should try their best to get a GNTE estimate and should favor the companies offering a GNTE even if the estimate is somewhat higher than non-binding estimates from other companies, other factors being equal. Of course charges can still be tacked on at the end, as for a shuttle, but at least you'll have 45 days or more to pay those added charges.

[Scammers will cheerfully give you a GNTE but it won't mean anything since they can and do say whatever they want and it's not legally enforceable.]

According to BigLee, the main situation in which people will not be able to get a GNTE will be if the goods are being moved into storage or the customer hasn't settled on a delivery address at the time of the estimate. He also said that people should try their best to insist that the shuttle question be settled at the time of the estimate so that there aren't unpleasant surprises at the end.

Also, be aware that the driver will probably try to get you to pay all of the charges at the time of delivery, even though legally you are required to pay only 100% with a binding estimate and 110% with a non-binding estimate. 23 has mentioned this also--that this is what is likely to happen in the real world.

GinB

Postby GinB » Thu May 20, 2004 12:45 pm

GNTE ?

Can someone explain what that acronym means? I assume the "E" is for estimate. :P The rest I'm not sure. Thanks.
-- GinB

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 20, 2004 12:57 pm

Sorry for the jargon -

Guaranteed Not to Exceed (GNTE) estimate, sometimes called a

Binding Not to Exceed (BNTE) estimate

You can read about the various kinds of estimates in this article - http://www.movingscam.com/news/estimateInfo.shtml

The Safersys website is back up and I see that Cross America Van Lines with MC 436268 lists itself as having only 1 truck and 1 driver, and the driver was found in violation during 25% of the inspections (1 in 4), much higher than the national average. One truck doesn't seem like enough to do all the flashy moves shown on the company's website, so something is wrong here. Possibly the company is operating illegally as a broker.

Cross America has been licensed to perform interstate moves only since October 2002, yet the BBB says it has been in business since January 2001 (and the BBB has no current information on it). Its owner is listed by the BBB as Gilboa Mazor. FBI statistics show that most scam moving companies indicted in the U.S. are operated by Israeli citizens. AVOID this company.

Return to “Open Community”