American Red Ball - are they OK? (Moving NY -> NC)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
FredW

Re: American Red Ball - are they OK? (Moving NY -> NC)

Postby FredW » Thu May 20, 2004 2:14 pm

You may wish to consider Loungecraft Moving & Storage in Maspeth NY. They are an American Red Ball agent. I am in the process of doing a move with them. The pickup was supposed to be today, but the truck is in the shop and they will pick up tomorrow. They also forgot(?) to leave the "rights & responsibilities" booklet when they gave the estimate on 5/3/04, but promised to bring one when they do the pickup. They are a small company (2 tractors/5 trucks) but seem to be on the up & up so far. Since we were only able to determine our exact inventory this week, we do not have the luxury of a binding GNTE estimate.

My unfinished moving thread:
http://movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1466

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 20, 2004 2:42 pm

Be sure to get back to us, Fred, since there are lots of people looking for moving companies in the New York area. Good luck!

GinB

Postby GinB » Fri May 21, 2004 9:47 pm

We've decided against Redball/Santini. They never clarified insurance on the forms, and seem to always "forget" the rights booklet.

We had Dahill Mayflower come today and they made a good impression. The first thing they did was give us the "rights" booklet and explained it. They made a positive impression, were very thorough, and offered us a choice of binding or non binding contract, and we're leaning toward them now. Plus they have an office in NC too, while Redball doesn't.

Dahill Mayflower:

DOT NYS 7123
DOT FED 125563
MC 2934

How do they check out? Thanks.
-- GinB

Postby 23 » Fri May 21, 2004 10:09 pm

Ginb,

Here is Dahill's DOT#: 86492

This way you can check their info, not Mayflowers!

Everything seems to check out fine, but they have had numerous insurance activity over the past couple of years. Other than that, their record looks OK.

You should elect to go with the Guaranteed Not to Exceed estimate!

Good luck!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat May 22, 2004 9:12 am

About the Rights and Responsibilities book you got from Dahill, how many pages is it? Is it about 20, or over 45? We're trying to figure out if movers are giving out the old, outdated one, or the new one. You can compare it to the newest version here.

NY

Postby NY » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:05 pm

I used Loungecraft/American Red Ball and lost up to $1000 in cash, household items, tools, etc. The owners were mean and insulting, shielding the workers. The driver and worker were possibly text messaging one another. There was also a worker involved that may have been a dayworker. The company put on two permanent and three non-permanent workers. The driver took off and did not give me a receipt/invoice after loading the truck. The owners quoted one price and when the goods were on the truck, told me that they would only do cash for a higher price for $1,200 more. Boxes that they packed were half-empty and the company quoted the price by how much room they packed the truck. The weigh tickets were questionable- handwritten and typed from their own storage house and a site unknown. The truck was left overnight at a truck stop and not secured. The workers knew their stuff, but the majority of workers were snooping, opening boxes and did not let me open boxes on the truck at the end. One worker ran out carrying a box and the driver stopped me from going after him. The final insult is that the company told me that I am marring their reputation!

NYWoman

Postby NYWoman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:21 pm

NO, Loungecraft is not OK. We suffered because they don't want to give out the "Rights and Responsiblities" booklet because they don't believe in your rights. They lost a tremendous amount of goods because we were scammed - they lost our goods and blamed us! The driver told us to buy the insurance or we may lose our goods - and we did. The driver and his worker friend used cell phones to call one another and things happened. The DOT took several complaints off their computer, so don't trust ratings.
Last edited by NYWoman on Sat May 20, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NYWoman

Postby NYWoman » Sun May 07, 2006 5:15 pm

:( Loungecraft of American Red Ball was a nightmare! They now aka Red Carpet Movers. It was a scam of loss of goods from begining to end. We had used the Loungecraft division of American Red Ball in Maspeth and Sea Cliff in New York. Their scam is in the insurance - you are vulnerable to have your goods lost if you do not pay them the $770 for an insurance where there is no proof in writing. When you lose goods, the President told us that we should use the money we saved from not purchasing their insurance to buy the lost goods back; his brother, the General Manager said that it is our fault since we did not purchase the insurance as other people to cover goods stolen from the truck. The driver told us that if we don't buy insurance, we could have our goods lost. When we didn't buy the extra, he wouldn't tear the invoice, made a call - possibly to his worker friend, who called me in an emergency where to put the last box (which ended from the bedroom in the first home, to the front dining area near the door in the second home and - missing all goods in the end). The driver told my mother he will go to the truck and come back with the receipt- they jumped on the truck and drove off. The first night, cash was missing. One of the workers was a dayworker and he had a car visit him with friends. He placed a box on the side of the truck with no door, I found out. After the driver said he wouldn't take anymore, I locked the shed and the next day, I got yelled by the other worker why I locked the shed. I found new boxed gift items, gardening tools, wrapped new bench, and relocated plumbing and electric tools ready to go. If I had not locked the attached shed, we believe that the car would have picked up the goods, not the truck. We had to stand there to make sure they put in the bike which they left in the rain on the street - then the car came by. Apparently The second night, they drove off without giving an invoice. loss of goods following a customer not purchasing their insurance, for which they will not give you written information that it exists. They do not follow the Federal Law to give you "The Rightsts and Responsibilities" book and will tell you that they never heard of it, didn't read it and do not know about the right you talk about. They don't want to know rights. We lost over $2,000 worth of goods and cash money - they returned the cash. The driver appeared to be calling/text messaging his worker on the job to work as a team. The driver woudn't tear the receipt and drove off with our truck - we were lucky they showed up at the destination. He told us to purchase the insurance because we could lose our goods. He said that many other customers have lost goods - but the owners deny that anyone lost anything. Therefore we should buy their insurance, but they wouldn't provide an insurance brochure with a name - but to trust them. We asked "If you are a good driver - why should we lose goods?" Yes, we lost goods, following the driver admitting that the truck stopped overnight in another state and they looked through all our boxes - for a 2 1/2 -3 hour day trip. We lost over $2,000 worth of goods - tools, household, sentimental items, tapestries, antique cross, etc. The company does not cooperate and lacks morals to hold their workers responsible. Do not trust their ratings with the BBB or DOT! The DOT had complaints listed on their computer in Janurary but 4 months later in May showed only my complaints. I was told that 3-4 or 1-2 complaints were filed in the back. I e-mailed the BBB and they did not e-mail back. I am going to file a BBB complaint and follow it though to make sure it is entered on thier computer and it doesn't end up in limbo to keep the 0 complaint listing of Loungecraft. As far as Loungecraft of American Red Ball, it turned into a contuing saga for us. It has a great rating with the Better Business Bureau and is a family owned company. We were called by the company and told after the truck was loaded that they would not complete the job unless we paid more money based on the space used on the truck and what they could estimate what they believed the weight to be. Although it was written that they take credit cards, they only would accept cash or money order. Although the movers were excellent, many are hired for the day and not permanent. We suffered a loss of our goods from the destination, during transit and upon arrival. Goods delivered were then found missing after the truck left. The loss of goods were from one truck - there were no other shared customers to say that there was a mixup between customers. Although the workers were pleasant, helpful, knew how to pack, move boxes and furniture - they also had been caught having friends come by to visit by car, opened drawers and packed boxes, as well as make comments about what was new and boxed. The items that the crew asked questions about being new or slightly used or nice were found missing after the truck left. Some items were large and could not have been missed by the driver or workers. We were told that the truck had been taken to a warehouse out of state and left in a motel parking lot. It was not protected in their lot. The more we look and unpack, the more we find missing from money, household and electrical items and tools, gifts, handcrafts and apparel, etc. We have found boxes that we had taped and tied opened by the crew with their contents missing. One of the peculiar happenings is that of the workers went off on his own at the end. The driver said that he did not want him followed to the truck because this worker always goes to the truck at the end of the jobs. The workers communicated also by cell phone. We were not given the Rights and Responsiblities book before, nor invoice receipt nor weigh receipts upon completion and payment. The company did not call back for one month because the boss claimed that he didn't know, but the driver called the boss on the phone, he said. Then, the boss said "So What" and that he was only responsible for furniture damage, not loss of goods or theft. Initially, the owners made insulting remarks to us and justified what happened, shifting the blame to the customer. We were iniatially told that we made this up and were lying, trying to extort money. Later on, we reported the company to The Department of Transportation and then the company became cooperative and felt bad. The company did send partial payment and told us to mail them the loss form back which we mailed. After we send in the loss report, we will receive only partial reimbursement, not full payment. This doesn't bring back imported handcrafted items made and purchased by our relatives nor our possessions. Our goods are not to be returned. It is unclear why any company should have this go on for months with valuable time wasted that could have been used to recover our goods. Our family would have recommended them to everyone, now they are being written about on the movingscam.com site to warn other consumers. With any move, customers don't always have enough information about who comes into their homes. My advice is to have all workers sign a dated paper with their first and last names and home phone numbers. This way, if something goes wrong or if the truck takes off without giving the invoice, you have proof that they were there. Also, chose a company that has a computer that traces the truck on route. Our truck was detoured. Also, don't give the check unless you receive an interstate weigh ticket and have that stipulated up front in writing. Our tickets received were partially handwritten from their own warehouse and a local warehouse. We were very generous with tips, meals, snacks and driving them to a local motel and a restaurant. It was not appreciated.
Last edited by NYWoman on Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:09 am, edited 15 times in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 07, 2006 5:37 pm

Please post the specific agent of Red Ball that you used so I can make a note of your complaint in my summary post on NYC movers (see link below). I don't want to taint a company's reputation unfairly.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

fifi

Postby fifi » Tue May 09, 2006 4:56 pm

I had an experience from hell quite a few years ago, but I assume that they proably do the same kind of work today. They picked up our load in Southern CA for a move to Santa Cruz, CA. As my husband said, "we gave them furniture and they delivered firewood."

Nearly every piece of furniture was badly damaged or broken. Many boxes were smashed. They refused to respond to our requets to file insurance claims. We had no recourse but to return to LA and to take them to small claims court. We won, but due to the way they were structured, we were unable to colect even with the presence of a marshall.

All in all it was a nightmare. The salesman was slick and we were naive. They may have changed, but use them at your own risk.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 09, 2006 4:59 pm

Do you remember the name of the company so we can warn others?

NYWoman

Postby NYWoman » Sat May 20, 2006 10:49 pm

NY wrote:I used Loungecraft/American Red Ball aka now Red Carpet Movers and they "lost" cash, household items, tools, etc. The owners were mean and insulting, shielding the workers. The driver and worker were possibly text messaging one another. There was also a worker involved that may have been a dayworker. The company put on two permanent and three non-permanent workers. The driver took off and did not give me a receipt/invoice after loading the truck. The owners quoted one price and when the goods were on the truck, told me that they would only do cash for a higher price for $1,200 more. Boxes that they packed were half-empty and the company quoted the price by how much room they packed the truck. The weigh tickets were questionable- handwritten and typed from their own storage house and a site unknown. The truck was left overnight at a truck stop and not secured. The workers knew their stuff, but the majority of workers were snooping, opening boxes and did not let me open boxes on the truck at the end. One worker ran out carrying a box and the driver stopped me from going after him. The final insult is that the company told me that I am marring their reputation!

Return to “Open Community”