Sinclair Moving & Storage, Inc. - Review

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
colo232

Sinclair Moving & Storage, Inc. - Review

Postby colo232 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:48 pm

Here is my original post and why I choose Sinclair over Shannon:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14496

After all the information I got in this website (which lead me to contact Sinclair) I feel is my opportunity to contribute:

Ok, my preferred date for pick up was 9/13, at the time we signed the agreement they asked me if I was fine with 9/12 since they will have a truck around and I said no problem as long as they contacted by 9/7.

On 9/7 Joanne (Sinclair’s customer service) called me as promised and told me that the truck will arrive on 9/13 between 8:00am and 9:00am. They gave me the driver’s name (Ed Fries, which also owns the truck that only operates with Sinclair) and his helper (Kent).

On 9/12 I got a call in the afternoon from Ed to confirm the times.

On 9/13 at 8:15 the truck was at home. Both Ed and Kent were very nice, we went through the whole house (everything was pre-packed by my wife and I) to take the inventory (which I also had prepare in an excel file item by item room by room).
They mentioned how well packed everything seemed to be and they loading work began.
It took them both until 3:00pm to load the truck (with a 30 minutes break in which I offer some subs and sodas). At the time they were living I asked for a copy of the Bill of Landing and Inventory, at first Ed was a little bit reluctant to give me my copies (I don’t really know why since he was very professional and courteous) but then he accepted. Ed gave me his cell phone number and they were gone with my life in their hands. My delivery window was between 9/17 and 9/21, Ed told me that due to the stops he would make on the road it will be delivered on 9/20.

On 9/18 Ed called me to ask me if I was Ok to receive my things on 9/19 at 2:00pm (a day earlier than expected). Of course, I accepted.

On 9/19 they arrived at 2:15pm, they unloaded everything in almost 3 hours, we went room by room with they inventory and mine and nothing was missing neither broken (all boxes looked in good shape). We signed all the paper and tipped them both with $80 each.
Good news is that based in the weight of my shipment they will reimburse me $150 ($3.500 was my GNTE price for 5,792lb.).

On 9/24 we finished unpacking and arranging everything in our house… Nothing was damaged (not even a glass!!!)

What can I say after reading all the horror stories around the web?

Sinclair Moving & Storage, Inc. from New Jersey ROCKS!!!

In this business, which is getting filled by scammers, Sinclair delivered their service as promised and these days that seems to be a lot.

Thanks again Sinclair and thanks to…

Michael Jenkins: Relocation consultant and adjustor
Joanne: Relocation support (I called her 10 times prior my move and she was always nice)
Ed Fries: Driver (nice guy)
Kent: Mover (extremely nice guy)

And special thanks to Movingscam.com, without this site; I would have probably been scammed.
Last edited by colo232 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchieWhite

Re: Sinclair Moving & Storage, Inc. - Review

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:09 pm

It's not completly clear as to who 'we had a beer is' but if the driver of the truck was involved, you might wanna go back and delete his name or change the wording to correctly show exactly who had a beer. Thats not good, if the driver had a beer, just my opinion....

farrah7031

Re: **Sinclair Moving & Storage, Inc. - Review

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:35 pm

That part has been deleted from the review.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:01 pm

Thanks so much for this excellent review, which I've added to the Superlist.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Venice

Postby Venice » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:51 pm

I just had my stuff moved from a 2 bedroom townhouse in central New Jersey to a storage facility in the Boston area via Sinclair. I'm generally relieved everything seemed to go well, but the company isn't spotless.

The good:
The movers did good work, in my opinion. The treadmill was a pain to get down from the third floor, and they did scrape the wall in one spot, but they were very patient getting the thing down, and neatly took it apart as needed, not rushing anything. They didn't complain about anything. They packed some things still unpacked and I wasn't charged extra. I won't be sure anything's damaged until I move from storage, but I could tell it mostly was okay.

The bad:
The central office was a bit tough to get in touch with sometimes, often didn't return my calls, at least at first, and seemed a bit out of touch with the movers. I was given a time frame of when the movers would arrive at the storage facility about 3 hours earlier than they actually appeared. During my initial weight estimate, at 6000 pounds, I was promised a copy of the weight ticket, an extra wardrobe box for my fake tree, some paper furniture pads for when things were put into storage, and the suggestion was made to go for a 10x20 unit instead of 10x15 so the movers could make an aisle between my things, so it would be partially accessible. The actual weight was about 5220, and when I asked for the weight ticket, the mover obviously didn't want me to learn I overpaid that much, so he asked "What was your estimate? 6000? Oh, I think yours was 5730 or something". I insisted on at least seeing the weight ticket, did the math, and learned the real weight. There was no free wardrobe box for my tree. The movers didn't have any paper furniture pads for my stuff, so I had to go and buy some at a nearby U-Haul. Although I probably should have told the movers to leave an aisle down the middle, I wrongly assumed they would know because I told their boss what I wanted.

Anyway, none of this was that big of a deal. A little shady, but I would still call them reliable compared to the other companies I've heard of out there.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:57 am

Thanks for your review. I think "shady" is a bit too strong a word for what happened on your move. There were glitches, that's all. A stellar sales rep who used to work for Sinclair, Mike Jenkins, left a few months ago to join Ed Schmidt (Mayflower). That could account for some of the poor communication you experienced.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Venice

Postby Venice » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:12 am

Shady is if anything too weak to describe their business practices. They said many things that they simply didn't do. Glitches is when they try to do everything and something goes wrong that is understandable or not their fault. This was their fault and I blame them and in retrospect, they charged me a lot more than I needed to pay (which I wrongly assumed would get me peace of mind). I would not go with them again.

Venice

Postby Venice » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:22 am

Plus, I failed to mention a big part of their service was to number each item then have me check each numbered item as they unload it off the truck, so I would be sure that all my stuff was accounted for. The driver simply did not want to spend the time doing this, and pressured me into just taking his word for it that my stuff would all be separated from anyone else's and everything would be there. If something's promised to you, and you paid for it, it's not really professional to go saying "Oh, you don't really need this, right?"

Plus I didn't appreciate them not keeping my bed frame bolts with my bed frame... Had to buy new ones. That's a bit careless.

And the sales guy who I talked to said I could call him any time with questions. He answered one phone call and that was it. After that I had to try to get in touch with the central office which was difficult.

Anyway, Sinclair is not nice to their customers and will walk all over you once your money is in their pocket.

Glitches? I smell bias. Why would you defend them by belittling my opinion?

murphy

Postby murphy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:16 pm

Many customers don't realize how many people are involved with a single move. If one person did the whole ball of wax from survey to delivery they could probably do everything they promised at the survey.
But there are often breakdowns in communication. The survey person gives the paperwork to the office days or weeks before the move, the office gives info to the warehouse the day before the move so they can get packing and materials on the truck for the next day, the ops manager gives out the jobs to the pack crew on the day of, but the ops manager never talks to the driver because he went directly to the residence. Lots of room for miscommunication.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:23 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venice

Postby Venice » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:58 am

It was 11 months ago, and over the course of the last year, I still have problems finding my stuff in the storage unit because of my movers. That's not why I posted though. It's because I was curious to reread my review and I find someone saying my opinion is effectively BS. That's 11 months where people about to spend their own $2600+ might not have listened to my real concerns because of Diane, and who knows? I might have went with another mover if not for people like her. I'm planning to move again soon and I hope I can find a mover, for once, that will act reputable and won't try to cut corners or screw me over in some other way.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:57 am

The point that was made by Diane and reinterated by Rick is that the expectations you set forth were entirely too high. Does it mean everything went smoothly for you? No. Does it mean there will be glitches on just about every move. Probably. The moving process is a manual one and manual processes are subject to imperfections no matter how hard someone tries to avoid them. If customers continually focus on the things that disappoint them in a move, I assure you there will be no satisfactory moves ever performed.

What you listed as good is exactly what should happen in a good move and the bad you list could not even begin to be described as shady. If you want a description of "shady" - read any scam mover performance on this board in which the price of the move doubled or even tripled because the sales rep decided to lowball the quote. Now that is shady.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Return to “Open Community”