Ft Lauderdale to Chicago - quotes vary a lot

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
birojac

Ft Lauderdale to Chicago - quotes vary a lot

Postby birojac » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:11 am

i'm moving from ft lauderdale to chicago and i've gotten 3 -5 quotes from a variety of companies.

mayflower came in the most at around $6500
American van lines came in at $3500
flat rate movers came in at $3500

all movers took into consideration the shuttle needed in chicago however mayflower is just so darn expensive and i wonder if there's another company thats just as reputable that we can trust.

please let me know if anyone has any good recommendations for this type of move

thanks

Rick

Re: Ft Lauderdale to Chicago - quotes vary a lot

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:45 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisatlas

Postby chrisatlas » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:54 am

Did they all come out to your residence to do an in home estimate?
Also make sure you have a vanline agent quote you not a broker as the broker might or might not pack you then change the quote....
Give a local Atlas, North American Van Lines, United or Allied Moving agent a call to come out.

birojac wrote:i'm moving from ft lauderdale to chicago and i've gotten 3 -5 quotes from a variety of companies.

mayflower came in the most at around $6500
American van lines came in at $3500
flat rate movers came in at $3500

all movers took into consideration the shuttle needed in chicago however mayflower is just so darn expensive and i wonder if there's another company thats just as reputable that we can trust.

please let me know if anyone has any good recommendations for this type of move

thanks

J C Stephens

Postby J C Stephens » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:20 am

As you will discover from others on this site if it seems too good to be true it probably is a concern. There is no reason why one van line would charge almost twice as much as another. Although we all have different pricing structures there is no real reason why there would that much variation in cost. Mayflower is part of the United Group which they and United Van Lines are a part of. This makes them the largest van line operation in the country. The quality of the job will be among the best. (I’m not a United Agent nor Mayflower Agent) More information will be needed to assist you, what is the actual estimated weight of your household shipment based on the 3 estimates you have received? I’m sure Mayflower came to the residence did the other 2 do onsite estimates.

I have seen the trucks for American Van Lines, they have a number of trucks and have the ability to handle the job. But according to FMCSA protect your move website under that carrier they have had 8 complaints against them this year alone. Over the last 3 years 27 complaints. That’s a lot given the number of trucks they run. According to there BBB site in So. Florida they have received 80 complaints in the last 3 years and 65 are for failing to perform in accordance to their contract. Again, this is a large number of complaints.

Flat Rate Movers I have never heard of and neither has the FMCSA, if they have a different name then more would be known. Under that name there is no company with interstate authority according to my research. Others with more experience here may have heard of these people.

birojac

Postby birojac » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:39 am

american did not come out however when i spoke to the agent on the phone he asked very specific questions ie what type of tv, how big is the sectional, 1 piece queen or 3 piece etc.

i asked why he's not coming out to do the estimate and he explained he used to be a mover and is now an estimator (or whatever the correct term is) and he's very familiar with furniture sizes. either way he came in at around 6300 lbs and mayflower who actually came onsite was at 7300 lbs.

i filled out one of those online weight estimation forms and it came in around 6500 so again everything varies.

the worst is everyone is so nice that i don't want to trust anyone. i told american they have a lot of complaints on the BBB and he said we do over 300 moves a month so when you calculate the number of moves by number of complaints its not that bad. nonetheless they're all shady and i don't like it one bit.

we also feel the mayflower guy is taking us for ride because we told him our company is paying for the move.

i'm now checking with allied and united.

all in all i have a terrible feeling about all this and i haven't even started looking for a company to transport my car!

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:48 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birojac

Postby birojac » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:01 am

that would explain why there is nothing written about them

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:09 am

Why in the world would you give all your worldly possessions to someone you haven't even met? You've got to get off this idea that the cheapest price will give you the same service as a full service mover. 8)

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:47 pm

Moving is not an inexpensive venture and selecting a mover based on price wil usually result in the most expensive move imaginable, in terms of price (because it will move up), delays (because your items won't arrive anytime near when you want them), and your possessions (because they will not likely arrive intact).

Reputable movers generally make a 5%-7% profit on a single move on average - IF they do the move perfectly. Anyone who charges you 50% less than a reputable mover is going to stick it to you somewhere along the line.....please keep this in mind as you evaluate quotes.

Some people might recommend selecting an independent mover as well as one of the majors to get a quote from. However, if you're moving from Florida, I would stick primarily to quotes from the majors (United, Allied, Atlas, Mayflower, North American, Graebel, Bekins) only because Florida is where many scam movers are located and figuring out which is a scammer from a legit independent is difficult for the average consumer unless someone here can recommend an independent mover in Florida for you.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:22 pm

Jim wrote:Moving is not an inexpensive venture and selecting a mover based on price wil usually result in the most expensive move imaginable, in terms of price (because it will move up), delays (because your items won't arrive anytime near when you want them), and your possessions (because they will not likely arrive intact)...

Well said...and to which one might add..."and in personal mental anguish and emotional turmoil."

You are about to entrust everything you own and cherish to a complete stranger. Choose carefully. Choose wisely. Do not choose based upon price.

I seriously doubt that Mayflower has upped their price because your company is paying. Things are so bad for the moving industry right now everyone is clawing and scratching for every move they can book. Prices are at an all-time low. It is very unlikely that Mayflower is charging you one more penny then their tariff less a max discount.
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

chptrkrules

Postby chptrkrules » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:05 pm

The movers that Rick told you about , that sued this website, are first class scammers. We have rescued customers from them. Because of the lawsuit, if you say their name here, it will get removed.

The owner of that moving company is the brother of the owner of a "certain moving broker in South Florida" that is responsible for thousands of innocent people being scammed. We cannot say their name here either.

Run away from these scumbags as fast as you can. If it sounds to good to be true it is, and if they want a deposit, chances are your gonna pay big time in the end.

Don't be a victim of a scam moving company. There are to many good ones out there.

birojac

Postby birojac » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:05 pm

just want to give my props to this site and tell you all how helpful it has been. i'm from canada and business is conducted VERY differently - mind you i've been in Fl since 1990 so used to it but it sucks.

here's where i'm at

quote from scammer - they're out and boy were they mad and shaddy and shit talking everyone on the phoen

mayflower - way too much

north american - they were supposed to come today (choose them bc they called back before allied and we just need to make a descision) - guy was 1hr late and was only able to see my sisters apt - i'm 20 min north and he wanted to reschedule but i'll be out of town for a week so he said "well obviously i'm not the mover for you" - that agent was Beltmann Group - others may have had good experience but their customer service is for the pits

Stevens (Cousins USA) - called them Saturday morning and she said the estimator was on the road, asked if he could squeeze us in and they said no problem. estimator was awesome, honest and very detailed. after looking at both apts our total is $4400 only issue is its a 4-11 delivery day which seems to be the norm. this doesn't quite work for us. I also want to add that an old friend/collegue of mine has used Stevens on 3 moves in the past 8 years and she verbally referred them to me so you know that says a lot

Lastly I'm looking at a small moving company based out of south florida. the owner is the son of the old hr director for a previous company i worked with. they moved my dept to 3 new locations perfectly. my colleague then hired them for her personal move from Parkland to Brickell and they did a great job. They may be small but i know them on a semi-personal basis - honest hard working people. have had 4 experiences with them and they'll deliver on the day i need them to OUT OF STATE!!! they're coming over Monday for the estimate and all my money is riding on them otherwise its Stevens.

i'll keep everyone posted

also probably going with Blue Star for the car - they're $700 door to door for an infiniti fx35 - they got good reviews unless i read incorrectly -- they were also referred to me by a friend who used to work in that industry,.

all in all a terrible experience!!!

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:29 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:27 am

we also feel the mayflower guy is taking us for ride because we told him our company is paying for the move.

I have been kind of sitting back and letting this thread play out, but something about the above statement hit a nerve.

birojac I know you think Mayflower is too high, as opposed to the others, but if you check the 2009 JD Powers moving company rankings...
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/r ... ID=2009149 you will see that Mayflower Transit is ranked #1.

I have been with Mayflower since 1993 (Paul Arpin prior to that), and I know that a van line doesn't get to be #1 by overcharging customers.

What you need to be aware of is that you had 3 estimates, and they all were basically within 1000 lbs, which is acceptable in our industry. Do you really think that Mayflower is charging you almost twice as much, or the other guys low balling to get the job, and then sit back and wait for the fireworks.

Someone asked me today to look at an estimate from a van line that had given an estimate based on 20,000 lbs, even though their cubic feet, and piece count showed 15,000 lbs. I redid the cube based on what they had, and I came up with identical weight of 15,000 lbs. Their price was about $13,000 and they gave a written discount of $150.00. If that were my move, I'd consider it an insult to spend 13k and get such a paltry discount. In writing they said the estimate was based on cubic feet. Guess what happens on loading day, oops, more cubes, more cost. I did an estimate based on the weight, and full value insurance, and the rate was only slightly more than theirs, and would have been less had the valuation been at sixty cents per pound.

I have no vested interest in your particular move, but I felt I had to defend our van line, because we don't overcharge, or undercharge. When we do a visual estimate, we give a fair but realistic price.

Regardless of which mover you elect to go with, consider that this is a competitive business, but legitimate movers will not overprice, nor will we
drop our price to meet some of the ridiculous lowball estimates we see.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”