I pack/they load?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ktelliott

I pack/they load?

Postby ktelliott » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:24 am

Perhaps I'm really unclear on how this works. But if I understand correctly, full-service movers pack and unpack everything (dishes, books, old shampoo bottles) for me, load, drive, and unload. I've found PODS and Smart Move where we do all the packing and loading. But what about a hybrid, where we pack everything up but professionals load and unload the pod/van? We're moving across town in Oakland CA from a second story (stairs only) 3 bedroom apartment with two small kids. Would it make more sense to use a PODS type system and hire college students or day laborers, or are there actually companies that do what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
Kate

MusicMom

Re: I pack/they load?

Postby MusicMom » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:21 am

Full service movers don't unpack, but they will pack and charge you for the service. If you don't need them to pack, you get a regular full-service move. They load the truck, drive it over to the new house, and unload it. For an in-town move, you might not save anything financially by hiring only labor to load and unload a POD since the POD itself is costly.

Call some local to you movers and ask for rates for local moves. You'll get prices based on number of guys and hours they think it will take to move your belongings. Keep in mind that it might take longer than estiamted to move, but it's a jumping off point.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:40 am

ktelliott,

For your type of move, I don't think a pod or container makes much sense. I agree with MM. If I were you, I would hire a full-service moving company for simplicity and even possible cost savings rather than trying to piece together different services yourself. My recommendation would be to call some companies local to you that have excellent reviews on this website and elsewhere. I would start with Delancey Street Movers in San Francisco and Moovers Inc. in Pittsburg. You can consult the Superlist under Northern CA for their contact information.

Regarding packing and unpacking, full service moving companies will do both of those things on request. But you pay through the nose for it, and many people don't WANT unpacking because then stuff ends up all over the floor and you have to wade through it. You can also have full service companies pack only fragile items like glassware, paintings, and lampshades.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:50 am

If you're just moving within Oakland (i lived there for 40 yrs), you can call Macy Movers (Atlas) They are the one of the oldest movers in Oakland, and though Jack Macy has passed on, his son Mark is continuing the family business.

Moovers and Delancy street are excellent movers as well, but since they are both outside Oakland, they may charge a higher minimum.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:55 am

Just a note that although Macy has generally good reviews and comments on this website, there are three bad reviews of local moves on Yelp.com - http://www.yelp.com/biz/macy-movers-inc-oakland (There are also a couple of good ones.)

I'm never sure how much faith to put in Yelp reviews since they aren't vetted for authenticity as far as I can tell, but probably potential customers should at least look at them.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Actually, if done correctly, unpacking service is actually a pretty good value.

-it is not very expensive
-they will dispose of the boxes
-you can pick and choose what the movers unpack

Many people ask what they are supposed to do with the boxes when they are done with the move. I often say give them away on craigslist. But here is what is oftentimes well worth the extra money for customers.

Have the movers unpack neccessities : bedding, coffee maker, some dishes, etc and also have them unpack large, bulky items like mirror/picture cartons and wardrobe cartons. That will get rid of a lot of cardboard and paper.

I would not suggest having the movers unpack everything either.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:00 pm

You know, before today I have never heard of a pro mover doing UNpacking. Still learning.

Noone

Postby Noone » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:55 am

Almost all of the inbound shipments we do from Europe include full unpack service. We offer two levels - unpack to counter tops, or unpack and put away.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:31 am

All the more reason for people to come back and give FULL reviews!

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:01 am

You know, before today I have never heard of a pro mover doing UNpacking. Still learning.

While most people prefer to take their own pace, some customers opt for full or partial unpacking.

Unpacking refers to taking contents out of cartons and placing the items on surfaces, which can mean table tops, counters and floors. It does not mean organizing and putting things away into cabinets, closets, etc. They will then remove cartons and paper from the home.

rydog is right. It is common for customers to have the movers unpack wardrobes, mattresses and mirror cartons. They may also have them unpack the kitchen too.

If space allows, it's a good idea to keep the flattened cartons for the next move.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

chrisatlas

Postby chrisatlas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:28 am

Hi Noone

here in the Chicago area
unpack and put away would typically be maid service or above and beyond normal delivery and additional cost...

Noone wrote:Almost all of the inbound shipments we do from Europe include full unpack service. We offer two levels - unpack to counter tops, or unpack and put away.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:01 am

Right now for us Unpacking has two different ways:
One is the normal unpack and disposal of material, this is quick and they do not place things in the correct places that you want them to. They just do the unpacking for you and lay it out.

The other is the premium unpacking where everything is put in it's place. Obviously at an increased price.

With a full service mover you get to pick and choose what you want. The term full service means just that, we offer a full range of services from loading and unloading only, transportation, relocation assistance, school reports, city reports, cash back for selling and buying homes, home theatre set-up, home networking set-up etc..etc.

In the moving industry you can pretty much customize your experience for your liking.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Return to “Open Community”