NYC -> FL: Loungecraft, Oz, DIY?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
FredW

NYC -> FL: Loungecraft, Oz, DIY?

Postby FredW » Tue May 11, 2004 1:07 pm

I am in Florida, trying to help my girlfriend move from Queens NYC to FLorida. We are debating between renting a truck, a self-service-move (ABF, Movex) or a full service move.

She got an on-site, written estimate from Loungecraft, but I don't fully understand her estimate. They estimated that 14 items of furniture and 4 boxes came to 320 cubic feet, which kinda seems reasonable. But they quoted her around $1600 for 2200 pounds. How does one convert from a cubic foot estimate to a pound estimate? This looks to be about 7 pounds/cubic foot. Is there an industry average for this? 2200 pounds divided by 18 items is an average of over 120 pounds/item. This seems high to me. I know the larger prices may weigh this much, but many items are much smaller than that.

Loungecraft also failed to give her the brochure "Your rights & responsibilities...". Should that be a show stopper if everything else looks OK? The "How to find a reputable mover" article says this is a bad thing, but I want to hope this was just a slip-up.

I am nervous about trying to park & load an ABF or Movex trailer at her house in Astoria, Queens, NYC. I don't know anything about NYC parking laws, but it always seems congested to me.

This move may happen in a hurry (next week) and she is in Florida now, so nobody is available for more on-site estimates. Is getting an estimate next Monday and moving later that week asking for trouble? We don't really care when the stuff gets to FLorida, so we have flexibility there. What is a worst case scenario? Is giving the mover too much flexibility a bad thing?

I have looked at U-haul, but they won't confirm a pickup place & time, which seems to be common from what I have read here. But Penske & Budget are significantly more expensive. By my calculations, I can rent a Ryder truck locally and drive it round trip for less than any of the one-way rentals. Am I missing something here or taking a risk?

Here is the info on the companies we are considering so far.
Loungecraft, Maspeth, NY, DOT # 106318, MC # 112744
Oz Moving & Storage, NYC, DOT # 1058063 , MC # 439945 http://www.ozmoving.com/indexa.html

Diane

Re: NYC -> FL: Loungecraft, Oz, DIY?

Postby Diane » Tue May 11, 2004 1:18 pm

Don't use Oz; do a search on this board to see why.

Loungecraft has the necessary licenses but has a high driver out-of-service rating. It seems to be an agent for American Red Ball. Others will probably jump in with more info.

If you're considering ABF you might want to get a quote from Broadway Express as well to get more help with loading. They'll be able to tell you whether they can get a truck in there. You don't have enough goods to meet their minimum space, but you can pay for the minimum and use less.

Rental van sounds good--it's always your safest option.

FredW

Postby FredW » Tue May 11, 2004 2:06 pm

Diane,
Thanks for the tip about Oz. I had searched for simply 'Oz' and got no hits. But when I searched for "Oz moving" or by their DOT number I found the thread you were referring to. Just a search engine quirk I guess.

I would love to hear more opinions about Loungecraft. Yes they are agents for American Red Ball, is that a bad thing? I only found two short threads that mentioned Loungecraft, both from a year ago.

I will investigate Broadway Express, I hadn't heard of them before coming to this message board. I think their 10 ft minimum would cover us.

2000 miles in a Ryder rental truck doesn't sound fun, but I am not afraid to drive and overall sounds less risky than trusting anybody else. I know Ryder is national, but do they really approve of you using a "local" rental truck for that distance? They only charge $.24/mile, plus #372/week. I am guessing (hoping?) I would get 10 mpg, which would mean about $400 worth of fuel.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Fred,

The person who looked into Loungecraft before was Tim Walker, the founder of this website, and his opinion (which was guardedly favorable) is worth about twice anybody else's. As long as they gave you a "binding not to exceed" estimate of $1600, they would seem worthy of serious consideration. I think this will end up costing you less than the Ryder van when all costs and the hassle factor are figured in.

You should call and ask Loungecraft why they didn't give you the booklet. It's in the process of being revised and that could be the reason, although it's not an excuse. Hopefully someone else will jump in here to comment.

I assume that you did all the prudent things such as asking them for references and contacting those references (although those can easily be faked), asking local realtors for their opinion of the company, having someone go to the company's offices to see how they seem, etc.

The industry rule of thumb is to figure 7 pounds per cubic foot of household goods, so the estimate they gave you was correct. They should have quoted you by pounds and not by cubic feet, however.

Also, the search engine can't find anything with less than three characters in it, so you're correct--it was a glitch.

FredW

Postby FredW » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:58 pm

Well, to close out my little chapter on this web site....

Loungecraft Moving & Storage delivered our stuff today, basically on-time and on-budget and in good condition. No evidence of scamming. There were a number of red flags or minor issues along the way, but we were not able to do as much research and planning as I would have liked, so that forced our hand on some things.

Would we use them again or refer a friend to them? Maybe, with some advice and warnings.

Now that I am a more educated mover, I hope to not need this knowledge again! I know I have one more move coming, but that should be local, DIY.

Thanks everybody for your advice and help. PM me if you have any questions.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:43 pm

Thanks Fred for getting back to us with this report. It helps us help others who are asking for moving information.

NYWoman

Postby NYWoman » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:23 am

Loungecraft Moving (aka Red Carpet Movers) of American Red Ball in Sea Cliff and Maspeth, NY was a big problem when we discovered missing goods that costs us thousands of dollars in damages. The moving company is questionable in the scamming department because they told us that if we didn't buy their insurance we risked having our goods being loss when they moved us. Then, they told us that it was our fault that we didn't buy their insurance and had our goods missing. Their binding estimate is a low ball bid and they raise the price once the goods are on the truck by making an estimate based on what they want. Then, they submit hand-written weigh tickets that are from their orgaization. They take off without giving an invoice and make the call that if you don't agree to pay out more money than the binding estimate, they will not complete the job - while your goods are now on their truck. They will not unload your goods until you give them the increased full amount. They do not give weigh receipts unless you write in; they do not weigh interstate as they promise. You risk your goods to be missing without company support.

Return to “Open Community”