moving from Chicago to Connecticut end of June

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
CT Girl

moving from Chicago to Connecticut end of June

Postby CT Girl » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:22 pm

Can anyone help me out with recs for good movers for an upcoming move from chicago to connecticut. I have a one bedroom w/minimal possessions and am planning to drive my electronics and clothes with me. I have had bad luck with moves in the past and am considering selling all my furniture (did this before) and pulling a trailer but would prefer not to take that route. I am going to have the big companies like United and Allied come by for an estimate, but does anyone have recs for specific branches of those companies within the city? Thanks :)

Diane

Re: moving from Chicago to Connecticut end of June

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:38 pm

CT girl,

First, read this thread to see why we can't make recommendations:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=486

Then, check out the comments by IMP on this thread:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1619

This may give you a place to start if you want to deal with majors like United, Atlas, and Allied.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:51 pm

You say you had bad luck with previous moves. What happened?

Selling your furniture and buying new does eliminate a big hassle, any extra boxes can be shipped by a packaging company. What about putting your car on a trailer behind a truck and driving it all yourself? If you're worried about loading it all yourself, you can hire some guys from any local moving company for about $40 an hour for loading.

CT Girl

Postby CT Girl » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:14 pm

I'm waiting for estimates right now from Nelson Westerberg and United Planes. It seems like people on this site have recommended Jackson Allied in this area also, but I have not located a web site or phone no. for them.

I agree that selling most of the furniture and rebuying it is the best bet. That's what I've done most times with my successful moves. One time I did get movers and the actual cost turned out to be nearly twice the estimate + broken items. They ended up refunding some money after a few calls, letters, etc. This time, I'm moving to CT and starting work a day after I get there. I work about 80-100 hours/week, so getting new furniture won't be an option for a while. Then again, neither would dealing with a lost or damaged shipment!!

I had looked into getting a 10 foot truck (u-haul and penske) and pulling my car on a trailer but the estimates on their web sites were ~1400. Once I pay for some guys to load and unload my stuff, the cost will be equal to or more than movers. Do you guys know of a cheaper route for that option?

Thanks for your help.

Here2Help

Postby Here2Help » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:21 pm

CT Girl,
It seems like people on this site have recommended Jackson Allied in this area also, but I have not located a web site or phone no. for them.

I think this is what you are looking for: http://www.alliedagent.com/jackson/hms/ir.html

CT Girl

Postby CT Girl » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:08 pm

Thanks for the link.

I'm curious if anybody has info on/experience with a moving service in the Chicago area called Done Rite Van Lines (MC #473152). When I started my search I signed up for one of those internet sites that sends your info to 6 companies. Done Right quoted me (over the phone and said an in-house estimate is unnecessary) a total cost of $800! It sounded way too good to be true so I started checking them out. On their web site, there are four "references" from supposed customers, but if you read them, they all seem to be written by the same author. Also, there is a big typo in the first one. I checked them out on BBB but they do not have a report...

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:29 pm

CT Girl wrote:I'm curious if anybody has info on/experience with a moving service in the Chicago area called Done Rite Van Lines (MC #473152). When I started my search I signed up for one of those internet sites that sends your info to 6 companies. Done Right quoted me (over the phone and said an in-house estimate is unnecessary) a total cost of $800! It sounded way too good to be true so I started checking them out. On their web site, there are four "references" from supposed customers, but if you read them, they all seem to be written by the same author. Also, there is a big typo in the first one. I checked them out on BBB but they do not have a report...

I think you've answered your own question, CT Girl. Done Rite has had interstate licensing authority only since May 5, 2004. For a "van line," they're pretty small: they claim only 2 tractors and 4 drivers. So they would probably be brokering out your move to some hauler that you've never heard of. As for their website, doneritevanlines.com, I agree with you that the references are unusually lame even for a scammer, and the site also has coupons on it (a HUGE red flag). The Chicago BBB has no information on the company because it's so new. Done Rite advertises on 123movers.com and vanlines.com, both of which are websites that funnel victims to scammers. AVOID.

Now . . . things you could do to hold down costs. You already said you are planning to drive with your high-value or irreplaceable items in the car. Good.

For your other items, getting quotes from reputable full-service movers is good, but if I were you I would also get a quote from both Broadway Express at www.broadwayexpress.net and ABF at www.upack.com just for comparison. I think you have about 2200 pounds or 320 cubic feet. That's 5 linear feet if you go with ABF, which I'm guessing would run you about $900. However, parking the ABF trailer for a day or so to load it may be a problem in Chicago.

Broadway Express is located in Illinois so they are very familiar with Chicago and might be able to get into the city where others can't. They have a 10 foot minimum (which is more space than you need) and I'm guessing that your quote will be about $1,000 plus an 8% fuel surcharge, i.e. $1,080 or a little bit more. That's less than the $1,400 that you would pay for a rental van, plus you don't have to drive the van or have the associated high gas expenses. Also, the driver will help you load and unload for a small fee.

Just some options to consider. With the DITY movers you do have to find people to help you load and unload.

*ADDITIONAL COMMENT: When I moved with ABF last summer, I used friends to help me load and at destination I hired two workers from a local moving company to help me unload. It cost me $75 an hour for two men with a two-hour minimum, plus tip (I gave them $20 each, which they seemed thrilled with). Such workers normally come with no equipment of any kind, so you may want to have a dolly on hand to make the best use of their time.*
Last edited by Diane on Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IMP

Postby IMP » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:52 am

It seems like people on this site have recommended Jackson Allied in this area also

Just in case I happen to be the "people" you are referring to - for legality purposes I must state that I am neither recommending nor not recommending Jackson/Allied as a mover. What I CAN say (at least I think I can say this) is that I used to live in the Chicago area, and work in this industry while there . . . . . if I were to be moving from that area again and had to select a mover, I would ask them (and a couple/few others) to give me an in-home, GNTE estimate.

Can I say that, Tim?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:44 am

One time I did get movers and the actual cost turned out to be nearly twice the estimate + broken items.

Can I ask who this company was? You can send me a PM, if you don't want to post publicly.

CT Girl

Postby CT Girl » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:05 pm

It was Allied Reebie that moved me (in city) that time. They are popular movers here in Chicago. They weren't necessarily a bad company--fairly organized, did an in-house estimate, showed up on time, and returned my phone calls the week after the move (they weren't available during the move b/c it was a holiday wknd). But the movers were SO slow and the final cost was really far off (charged by the hour) the original estimate.

CT Girl

Postby CT Girl » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:28 am

So far things not going well...

Nelson Westerberg scheduled to come out monday am. Then they called and asked if they could come at noon instead. I called back and said that's fine. Then they called back and said they had accidentally filled my sopt and could they come wednesday. I told them that didn't work for me so they started to try to give me an over the phone estimate. I said no, I need an in-house estimate and they were being unprofessional with this kind of rescheduling so tentatively they are coming monday afternoon at 2...

Jackson Allied couldn't come out until next friday makes me a little uncomfortable b/c cutting it close.

Planes United--unable to reach anyone there. Filled out the e-mail form, left voice message w/the guy in charge of estimates, left message w/receptionist and gm. Have not heard back. I don't feel great about their level of communciations, etc. already.

Am thinking again seriously of selling my furniture and trailering it...

CT GIrl

Postby CT GIrl » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:53 am

OK. I'm pulling the trailer. I would appreciate it if anyone can give me recs for the following.

1. I did this before and used u-haul. I didn't have a problem with them but I know lots of people have. I know each branch is different. Is anyone in the chicago area familiar with a good u-haul branch? I think they are the only ones that still rent out the trailers, right?

2. The one piece of furniture I really wouldn't mind keeping is my couch--does anyone know of a feasible way to just ship it for under $100?

thanks.

IMP

Postby IMP » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:35 am

CT Girl - it would really help if you could register for the site and get and send PM's.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:59 am

I honestly don't think you can get your couch shipped for under $500. Bulky furniture shipping is just very expensive. What about selling it and buying a new one?

CT Girl

Postby CT Girl » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:46 pm

I would appreciate any advice you guys can offer for finding help with unloading my 5 x 8 trailer once I arrive in CT.

I have gone through all the classified ads (new haven register, new haven advocate, yale paper) and called the few numbers listed for odd jobs including moving services. They all declined (I think b/c I am moving into a third floor apartment with no elevator). I know e-move is not the best bet and people have advised against it here, but a friend did have success with their unloaders (and I didn't know where else to look), so I looked there. So far, three groups turned me down stating scheduling conflicts. Perhaps my move is too small a job for these companies which are based in NY or NJ? There is one more group "Rent Arms and Legs" listed on e-move which I think will accept my job but they charge $75/hr for a min. 4 hrs. + $75 flat fee. It just seems a bit much to pay $375 for unloading my 5 x 8 trailer of boxes!

I also found an internet site called extrahelpmoving.com (a subsidiary of moving labor brokers--didn't find any info about them specifically on this site). Again, I know the internet sites aren't the best way to go, but I am having trouble finding unloaders any other way in this area. Does anyone have any experience with this company? They charge $230 for 2 workers for 4 hours.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Open Community”