moving from media, pa to tampa, fl

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bonsai1811

moving from media, pa to tampa, fl

Postby bonsai1811 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:40 pm

I will be moving this coming May and only have a few things to pack. My estimated weight is only 650lbs more or less. Can anybody tell me a ballpark estimate of how much this move should cost? Bayshore Transportation said it would cost me $1,074 with me packing my stuff. Is that a good price? Any suggestions or comments is much appreciated.
bonsai1811

Diane

Re: moving from media, pa to tampa, fl

Postby Diane » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Wow, I am really surprised that a van line agent would quote on a 650 pound move. Minimums used to be about 2000 pounds or more. Judging from reviews and comments on this website and elsewhere on the Internet, Bayshore is excellent. If they will move you for $1,074, my advice is to go for it.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

bonsai1811

Postby bonsai1811 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:25 pm

thanks dianne. the agent actually told me that i can add more stuff since i'm so much below the minimum. would it be wise to even consider just renting a small trailer and just towing it with my car since i dont have that much to bring with me or is it going to cost almost the same?
bonsai1811

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:54 am

People often underestimate what a heavily-laden trailer can do to their car. Check with a dealer to see what your car's engine could handle.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:00 pm

I don't think that a car towing a small 6 - 8 ft trailer with less than 1000 lbs would bear the same load as one doing a lot of high elevation mountain passes. As MM said, check to see what the load capacity of your vehicle is. Oh, and do you have a trailer hitch on your vehicle.

If you do decide to rent a trailer, remember that in most states, cars towing vehicles are restricted to the number 2 and 3 lanes (of a 3 lane road). Counting from the center divide, lanes are numbered from the divide to the shoulder. One of the most consistent violations I see in California is people towing trailers in the fast lane. Expensive ticket.

As for costing the same as a moving company, consider the fact that you have control of your shipment from start to finish, so it will arrive when you need it to be there. If you have a damage claim, you can settle it with yourself instantly. The added trailer weight might reduce your miles per gallon fuel efficiency, but still that can be mitigated by your driving habits. Avoid fast starts, use your cruise control, and drive the speed limit.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

bonsai1811

Postby bonsai1811 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:25 pm

biglee, musicmom and dianne thanks for the replies... finally decided on just getting Allied movers. will post how the move goes and if i experience any problems.
bonsai1811

Return to “Open Community”