Move to Boston - SNAG

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
JK

Move to Boston - SNAG

Postby JK » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:22 am

I am moving from Houston to Boston. I have been getting estimates for household good movers the last week and reached a snag a couple of days ago. One mover (Graebel) said that because of the Democratic Convention - no moving permits/vans (of any size) were allowed in Boston from July 20-August 4th.

When I went back and asked other movers if their office in Boston gave them the same message, all 4 movers called their offices in Boston and said that to their knowledge they have not heard of this and nothing has been posted.

If I decide to move middle of July, I would have to put my stuff in storage and be without furniture until after Aug. 5 (earliers). Option 2, is to move my move date up to end of June - but I still have to go into storage because I physically cannot get into Boston until Mid July. So either way, it seems like I will have to use storage (which is priced like a second move) but at least option 2 lets me get my stuff prior to the July 20 cut off date.

So my questions are

1. Is there a place on the Internet to verify what Graebel said was true? I would rather find out for myself since I'm getting such conflicting opinion.

2. Graebel (private company) vs. the other 4 movers (who are all agents of Bekins, United, Atlas, Wheaton and I checked their BBB ratings, no complaints in the last 12 months, 1 or 2 complaints in 36 months). Is it because Graebel is a private company and all the offices are more integrated that they are able to coordinate better and receive more up to date information? I find it a little strange that the other agents were not able find the same information? Or is Graebel pulling my leg? Graebel also said that if they were not able to move my stuff into the required dates then they would pay $100 a day plus all hotel expenses.

3. If I decide to go with one of the agents (much cheaper) but it turns out that when they try to deliver my goods and they were not allowed in the city - would I have to pay all the storage costs and for the second local move? Or is it the agents fault since I already informed them of that possibility but they did not receive the right information? They should pay for the storage as well as my living expenses?

I'm a bit worried - has anyone ever had this experience or similar experience? Not sure what to do!

Thanks for any help!

IMP

Re: Move to Boston - SNAG

Postby IMP » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:26 am

There was another person on this site who pointed out that no parking permits were being issued during the convention - Diane or MusicMom who have photographic memories can probably pull that information easier than I have - and when I heard that I passed it on to my dispatching staff for our own planning purposes. It really does make sense given our country's heightened state of alert, and while I've only heard it through grapevines and no official chanels, I would tend to think it's the case.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:30 am

I suggest that you contact the Boston Police Department and ask them about parking/moving van restrictions during the period you mention. Why speculate?

JK

Postby JK » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:10 am

Thanks for your advice. Lines are full now - Transportation Department 617 635 4675 - will let you know outcome.

Jen

Postby Jen » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:03 pm

JK-

I myself am moving out of Boston the week before the DNC (and had posted the moving permit information earlier). The appropriate contact to find out any moving permit info., especially around that week (7/26-7/29) is Boston City Hall, Dept. of Transportation--(617) 635-4675. I just called and they are giving out somewhat of a general response saying that they will review each individual request for a moving permit the week of the convention, but they are strongly encouraging if you are planning a move that week, to push it to 7/30 or 7/31. As I live in downtown Boston, my unsolicitated advice to you would be not to bother with any move related things the week of 7/26-7/29- the whole city will basically be shutting down and all traffic and parking issues are going to be a complete nightmare!

Good luck!

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:57 pm

I could understand that if you were moving to Beacon Hill but if you were moving to other neighborhoods then I wouldn't think there would be a problem!
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:02 pm

It might be the connection between moving companies and 9/11 that the authorities are thinking of. Big trucks can hide many things. http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1552

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:10 pm

I agree with Diane. However, if they are willing to go on a case-by-case basis, it could be worth a shot, if they are able to use a small truck for in the city.

damfino

Postby damfino » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:11 pm

I too am planning to move to boston in early august, and have been warned my friends there to avoid the last week in july. I have lived there before, and trust me when i say it doesn't matter if you are downtown or in the suburbs, it will be a nightmare that week due to the politics of the place. See also - the Big Dig.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:30 pm

Believe it from the people who live in Boston--the week of the convention is going to be awful no matter where you live in the city.

JK

Postby JK » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:13 pm

Thanks for all the helpful info. I have been calling Boston moving companies to find out better information regarding the Democratic Convention (their counterparts here in TX are giving me misinformation). The four other agent companies are finally starting to inform me that there will be no trucks allowed in Boston for the week of the National Convention as well as no permits issued on selective dates prior to that week. Furthermore each company has their own "internal" blackout dates because they do not want to deal with all the closed streets and backed up traffic around that time.

Luckily for me, my apt. complex has their own loading dock, no need for permit. However, unluckily, this is the only time frame I can move (mid of July with 4-14 delivery period puts me smack in the middle of the convention). I'm still tempted to stick with my original July moving date and risk the possiblity of hitting the last week of July. The moving company will have 7 days to get there before the 7/26 deadline. Is this a feasible time frame? Or will it really just depend? I would save myself $1K to $2K which would be great since this is all out of pocket. The other option is just to move at end of June, put stuff in storage and have them truck out my stuff to arrive prior to the 26th. By paying $1K to $2K more, I would ensure that I will definitely get my stuff prior to 7/26 . BTW if anyone has the same problem, storage in Boston is really expensive and I'm getting much better rates storing my stuff in TX.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:34 pm

Even if the traffic hassles cause a three hour delay in reaching your final destination... if you are saving $2000 then think of it as you are getting paid $666.67 per hour to sit in traffic for those 3 hours.

:wink:

But again.... I was Boston born and raised... depending on what neighborhood you are moving to, there is ALWAYS another way to get there without getting caught up in the traffic. I mean, it's not like you are trying to move across from the Esplanade hatch shell on July 4!

I suspect that the reports of the city coming to a standstill for the democratic convention are greatly exaggerated. Maybe you won't be able to get near the strip clubs or the bars... but the residential areas should be ok!

JK

Postby JK » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:26 pm

I'm not so worried about traffic delays - I'm more worried about the delivery dates - what if they are not able to deliver until 7/26-7/31. Then my goods will have to go to storage! And I will not get my stuff until August (very inconvenient) We are moving into the Prudential center on Boylston Street - is that a really high traffic area?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:48 am

Yes, the Pru is in the heart of Boston and is very close to the Hynes Convention Center. But traffic is the least of your worries. What is the exact date that you want your things to be picked up? If it's the 15th of July, I would say they'll probably reach Boston by the 26th. There is a moving professional person who posts on this board named "Ken" who works in the Boston area. You could register for this website and send him a private message to get his reading on the situation in Boston. By the way, what have you decided about transporting your car?

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:54 am

You're moving to the Pru? That is the heart of downtown -- In fact I did some consulting work in that building; my client is the major corporation there whose name starts with "G" :wink:

OK, the bad news is that to access the Prudential building you are going to get hammered with hot and heavy traffic every single day of the year, not just during the convention. BUT I am positive that the building has multiple loading docks that can accomodate big trucks due to the major corporations that own space in the building, plus the shopping mall tenants would have to have some way to receive their retail goods shipments. So a parking permit probably would not be necessary.

The good news? When you finally get home you will be able to enjoy a first class seafood dinner at the Legal's Seafood on the mall level. I also recommend the Top of the Hub restaraunt on the 52nd floor for the ultimate romantic evening.

Return to “Open Community”