Boston - Philadelphia Anyone know these companies?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Lynne

Boston - Philadelphia Anyone know these companies?

Postby Lynne » Fri May 28, 2004 9:16 am

I'm moving from Boston to Philadelphia in July. Does anyone have information on any of the following companies -- or any suggestions?

Country Wide Van Lines in Brooklyn, NY
Allstate Relocations in Hallandal, FL
Best Relocation in Boston, MA

Diane

Re: Boston - Philadelphia Anyone know these companies?

Postby Diane » Fri May 28, 2004 10:29 am

Lynne,

If you're talking about Countrywide Van Lines with MC (motor carrier) number #471535, avoid it. It advertises on www.123movers.com, which funnels victims to scam companies. Its real name is AAA Countrywide Van Lines, Inc., and it has been in business only since February 2004.

Do not use Allstate Relocations either. Here is a thread discussing them:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663

Best Relocation is connected with the known scammer Vivo Van Lines. Check this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6391. AVOID.

Please begin by reading the article "How to Find a Reputable Mover" on this website. When you have the names of a few companies, come back and we'll try to help you further. You could also use the search function on this website to input "Boston" and see what others have said about moving companies in the Boston area. There's a lot of information to be found here.

Whatever you do, don't go with any company that you've never heard of that contacts you as a result of information that you posted on the Internet. That's how the scammers get their victims.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Fri May 28, 2004 10:39 am

Lynne,

I want to reinforce what Diane has told you: if you select a mover that contacts you through an internet moving site, then your chance of being scammed is quite high. These sites are notorious for steering consumers to scam movers. This is the voice of experience telling you, please don't do it!

Lynne

Postby Lynne » Fri May 28, 2004 10:56 am

Thank you so much! I'm so glad that I've found this website.

What about Shleppers based in New York? Does anyone have information on them?

Lynne

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 28, 2004 11:05 am

Lynne, go to the search page and input the name "Shleppers" as a key word. The company has been much discussed on this site, but we never arrived at much of a conclusion. It's based in NYC, though, so I don't think it would be a good idea to use it for a move from Boston. As I recall, there were some questions about its authority to perform interstate moves.

If I were you, I would stick with an agent of a major van line, even though any company can actually scam anybody since there are no laws to protect us in this country. Again, there has been a LOT of discussion of agents in the Boston area, as you'll see if you do a search on "Boston."

Saxet

Postby Saxet » Fri May 28, 2004 11:08 am

O.K. - I have to ask - if you are moving from Boston to Philadelphia - why wouldn't you look for a mover in one of those two places? Why look in New York or Florida? Do these states offer some advantage that I don't know about?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 28, 2004 11:28 am

Saxet,

Usually in these cases, customers are hearing from companies that are contacting them as a result of information that they posted on the Internet. My guess is that Lynne isn't actively "looking" for a mover in those two scammer-infested states. Instead, she is being hunted down by the moving companies. She probably isn't finding THEM; they are finding HER. This is also what happened to me.

Scamming started mainly in New York and Florida, as I understand it, because there were a number of immigrants in the moving business in NYC and in Florida the retirees were easy picking. When a strong anti-scam law was enacted in Florida (mainly as a result of the efforts of James Balderrama of www.movingadvocateteam.com), many companies moved to the San Jose and Los Angeles areas in California and also to satellite scam centers like Jessup, MD, and Norcross, GA.

Lynne

Postby Lynne » Fri May 28, 2004 6:53 pm

Again, thank you everyone! This information has been extremely helpful.

Here's one last question: does anyone have anything positive or negative to say about Julian Wright Movers in Belmont, MA. I have spoken with Julian several times and he seems friendly and honest. In fact, when I asked whether they contract to another company for out-of-state moving (they don't), he was impressed with my knowledge...never would have thought about that without the help of this message board! I did all the background check recommended in Tim's article. What exactly is common insurance? That's they type that's checked off on the FMCSA site. Is that enough? Has anyone had any experience with Wright Moving? It seems like a small operation (4 trucks according to SaferSys.org), so I wouldn't be surprised if no one has heard of it. With that said, if there are any specific questions that I should ask him, I'd love to know.

Lynne

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 28, 2004 9:46 pm

Lynne,

At first glance, Julian Wright Moving Company, Inc., of Belmont, MA (MC #204739) looks OK. According to safersys.org, it has been in business since 1988. "Common" authority is the best kind. Safersys lists only 2 trucks and 2 drivers, though, so I'm wondering whether they are actually going to drive your things in one of their trucks to Philadelphia. You say they said yes. If so, that's good. (I wonder whether they will come back empty.)

I don't know how you heard about this small company, but if I were you I would ask them for references and check them out, visit their offices, and ask realtors and so on what they know about them. I see no red flags at this point.

dc-ny-phl

Postby dc-ny-phl » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:31 am

Diane wrote:Lynne, go to the search page and input the name "Shleppers" as a key word. The company has been much discussed on this site, but we never arrived at much of a conclusion. It's based in NYC, though, so I don't think it would be a good idea to use it for a move from Boston. As I recall, there were some questions about its authority to perform interstate moves.

I used Shleppers, which is based in New York, to move from there to philly a year ago. They had been recommended by a neighbor. It was good: the guys were effective and good-natured, despite the fact that they had to call in a third guy when it became clear I had seriously underestimated the amount of stuff we had, and despite the fact we got stuck in horrendous traffic on the way out.

I actually called them again recently when we moved within center city Philly (thinking they might do it on a day they came down for another job) but they said they couldn't. Maybe they are able to do Philly-Boston because that is an interstate move, but I doubt they'd be interested. I think following the advice of looking for a philly or boston company makes sense.

On that front, I can tell you I had a very good experience with Action Enterprises for our most recent move, but they are a small outfit and their owner said he tries to avoid going all the way to Boston. I moved from DC to NY four years ago with a company called Olympic Moving & Storage (not Olympic Van Lines), which is Boston-based. They were OK, but there was some damage to our things and I wasn't satisfied with the settlement amount they gave me.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:19 pm

Thanks to the last poster for input about these companies. Do you know whether Shleppers has a generally good reputation in NYC? What about Moishe's?

Also, do you have any more information on Action Enterprises (address, phone, website, etc.)?

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:59 pm

All I can tell you about Shleppers is that my experience with them was good, and that that my next-door neighbor in NYC recommended them. He said he had used them several times in the past; he also used them to move to the bronx a few days before we moved out with good results. So that was good enough for me, particularly after paying what I felt was too much for a mediocre experience with Olympic (of Boston, not IL) three years before. We also got an in-home estimate from Nir Schumer of Scanio, but this was way, way above any other quote or what we actually paid.

For NYC moves in general, I would talk to residents and doormen of the building you're moving into or out of. My building in NY was full of medical residents so every summer there was a "moving season" for about 6 weeks when all kinds of companies passed through. Although I had a good experince, my feeling is that there is no way to guarantee a great move. You just have to do your homework as much as you can, pack well, and take anything you can't bear to lose or break yourself.

Action Enterprises I got from the Eastern PA bbb (mybbb.org). They're at 215.424.9801. The crew is Jerry (the owner and driver) and two helpers. I liked the fact that they were on time, very efficient, and had their own 18' truck, and were willing to do the move over the memorial day weekend (another mover I called scoffed at the very idea).

The AE crew was very pleasant and good natured--not an easy thing given that the place we were moving from was a duplex with a spiral staircase and the place we went to has five stories. The other nice thing was the flat rate, which no other mover I contacted offered. Given all the stairs, my uncertainty about the amount of stuff we had, etc. it was a relief to not have to worry about add-on charges. This also proved to be much faster, and we finished the move in under 3.5 hours. It is possible I might have saved $100 or so by going with another company that quoted me an hourly rate of $90, but I had no way of knowing how long the job would take. That company, though, wasn't available until the following week and wouldn't take credit cards, which I think is an absolute necessity since it offers one of the few consumer protections against overcharging.

AE didn't do an in-home estimate, but to his credit my request for this was last-minute and Jerry showed up early enough on move day to do a thorough walkthrough. I never found a company that would do an in-home estimate for a local move. The best thing to do, I found, was to dig up the bills of lading from previous moves and use the inventories to get an accurate phone quote.

Hope that helps.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:06 pm

It sure DOES help, and thank you, and I wish you would register for this website so we can communicate with you later if we need to.

IMP

Postby IMP » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:09 pm

Inventories? On a local move? Haven't heard of many companies doing those because they are time consuming to prepare and when you're charging by the hour customer's don't want to pay movers to write - they want to pay them to move. Just my experience.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:19 pm

IMP: The inventories were from my previous moves, which were interstate. I had only thought of them as receipts, but it turns out they can be a valuable tool when you are preparing for your next move.

Diane: I am a believer in the power of sites like this to do good things, and I'm glad I came across it. I have, however, been somewhat put off by the hostility I've seen from some of the other regular posters (not you!), so I'd rather just keep it like this for now. But I'll cruise by again and try to contribute what I can.

Return to “Open Community”