Any experience with Fry Wagner Moving & Storage?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Melinda

Any experience with Fry Wagner Moving & Storage?

Postby Melinda » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:15 pm

Hello

I'm amazed at how many scam artists there are in this business. I have 2 questions:

What's it mean when the MC number is not found at ProtectYourMove.gov?

Does anyone have experience with Fry Wagner Moving & Storage, Kansas City, MO?

Thanks...

chaz4moving

Re: Any experience with Fry Wagner Moving & Storage?

Postby chaz4moving » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:12 pm

When you do not find the USDOT or MC numbers listed, it usually means the mover is an agent for one of the van lines. However, it can also mean the moving company does not have interstate operating authority. Not finding numbers for a particular mover because they are a van line agent can make things a bit confusing for the consumer. In answer to your second question, Fry-Wagner Moving & Storage is an excellent company. They are an agent for United Van Lines. Therefore. they operate under the USDOT# and MC# for United Van Lines. You will find United Van Lines listed at ProtectYourMove.gov. The numbers are: USDOT #077949 and MC #67234. This is standard operating procedure for van line agents.
Last edited by chaz4moving on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:13 pm

Fry-Wagner is an old, established agent of United Van Lines, a Missiouri corporation. While some van line agent may have their own motor carrier and DOT operating authority, most the services that they perform are done under the parent van line's operating authority. Fry-Wagner has their own authority under USDOT # 636505; MC #848. They're a good company.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:36 am

on the offchance it's not Fry Wagner's MC number you can't find, I've come accross occassional movers who do not have records at ProtectYourMove.gov. I had one just last night, in fact, but I went to their DOT carrier snapshot and saw they had a legitimate record and a license. There was just nothing to be viewed on PYM. Maybe the record never got transferred to that database?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:00 am

The license numbers for Fry-Wagner's division that does household moves appear to be DOT #133959 and MC #169343. When you plug in those numbers you'll see that the company has only 1 complaint on www.protectyourmove.gov (from 2006) - http://ai.volpe.dot.gov/hhg/SearchDetai ... d=31312649
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:37 am

Fry_Wagner is a fine organization. They have been in business for decades and provide first class service. Years ago they were an agent for Allied Van Lines before changing to United. They are a large company with a large fleet. If you chose them for your service needs you will not go wrong.

ShowMe2

Postby ShowMe2 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:41 am

I disagree with the blanket endorsement of Fry-Wagner. They just performed a local move here in St. Louis, and I was thoroughly unimpressed.

On the positive side, they did arrive on-time and the movers were careful with the stuff. There was only one piece (a bulky, tall lamp) that was damaged, but the rest of the stuff was unscathed.

But the negatives were huge and disappointing. First, the non-binding, in-home estimate for the move (a 1BR, 1.5BA apt, with about 800 sq ft) was for 4-5 hrs at about $100/hr. The actual time for moving: 10 AND A HALF HOURS. That is more than TWICE the estimate. I'm still scratching my head about how this happened. It's most likely a combination of a grossly inaccurate in-home estimate and the fact that one of the two movers was a new summer employee. The bottom line -- my schedule (i.e. returning to work in the second half of the day) was absolutely ruined. The insult to injury was paying twice the amount that was estimated.

Second, the inadequate response. At first, the estimator was apologetic and promised "full compensation," even if it meant paying out of his own pocket. He promised to get back to me soon. A day passed, a few days... nothing. Finally, I called (more on this later), and the estimator asked me what compensation I sought, which he promised to run by his supervisor. More days passed without any response, and I called one more time. Finally, he called back and said that they would only be able to pay me $250, about $100 less than my request.

In the global scheme of things, $100 is not a big deal, but the principle of Fry Wagner's lowballing ("We need to break even," was their reasoning) and their consistently tardy responses were unacceptable. In retrospect, I should have realized this sooner -- prior to the move, I was the one chasing them down to make sure the paperwork was in order. That was a danger sign from the start.

Working with Fry Wagner proved to be a painful string of tardy replies and broken promises. My final verdict for Fry Wagner: NOT RECOMMENDED.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:48 pm

You cannot compare the service on a local move to the service on an interstate move.

#1 - local moves are based on time, not weight.

You mentioned that you had a nonbinding move. Part of the problem here is that you accepted a non binding estimate on a local move.

I find it hard to believe that a local move could go twice the estimate, unless the entire scope of the move changed.

You had options. You should have called and asked to speak to the sales manager as soon as you discovered the job was going to take longer. Even a summer employee would not cause the move to take twice as long as estimated. I'd like to be able to see a copy of the estimate before saying that you were low balled. Fry-Wagner has not remained in business all these years by low balling and performing shoddy service.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

ShowMe2

Postby ShowMe2 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:20 am

My response to the points raised by "BigLeeCalif":

I too am baffled as to how Fry Wagner could maintain such a solid reputation and stellar rating on this site, yet my own experience proved to be so terrible. Every human enterprise -- even good ones -- can involve error, but the errors really piled up on this one. As I mentioned before, they were extremely careful and gentle with the actual move itself; but the consistently delayed responses, grossly inaccurate in-home estimate, and broken promises of Fry Wagner were altogether galling.

My review of a local move is quite appropriate for this site, as I've used the reviews and postings here for both interstate and local moves in the past few years. And surely the thread title "Any experience with Fry Wagner" implies precisely that -- any experience, local or otherwise.

Also, there was no mention of weight in my initial post, as it was quite explicitly a local move. I did mention time, which was the critical variable. (Perhaps a closer read by "BigLeeCalif" is in order, esp. before throwing stones.)

As for the suggestion that somehow this consumer is at fault, I am certainly guilty of packing away my crystal ball -- I could have really used this magical device to predict how dreadfully long Fry Wagner was going to take. But I did call the Fry Wagner office when I realized things were going well over the estimated period. No way to take back lost time, alas... the time machine was packed away too.

Since "BigLeeCalif" seems to be an apologist for the moving industry and predisposed to blaming the consumer, I would like to review a notarized copy of his/her certifications and CV before I send a copy of my invoice for his/her judgement. In the meantime, let the readers of this forum decide what's valid or not.

And potential customers of Fry-Wagner should consider themselves forewarned.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:31 am

In the moving industry, on any given day, the good ones can be bad, and the bad ones can be good. It's like the NFL, don't bet on anything, it can all come unraveled in a hurry.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:40 am

I'm actually amazed that they refunded any money at all. That says to me that the company realized that it was at fault.

I was surprised by Lee's chiding you for having a nonbinding estimate because I think that's the norm in many places for local moves like this. Also, of course it's appropriate to post reviews of local moves here.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:52 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

newbie2727

Postby newbie2727 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Yeah the fact that they gave you money back does show they are receptive to how you feel regardless of who was in the wrong. The amount of time the move that you said the move took does sound excessive but I cant judge because I have no clue what challenges were presented to the movers on moving day.As far as them getting back to you in a timely matter well maybe you need to be a little more understanding of the time of year we are in. Try calling Toys R Us on December 21st to complain about a broken toy and see how long it takes the store manager or anyone in customer service to get back to you. This is peak season for any mover and most moving companies dont have operators standing by to make quick decisions and call you back right away or even a day or so later. I say be happy with the money you got back and give the company kudos for doing that much.

bigtuna

Postby bigtuna » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:12 pm

I'm currently in the midst of an interstate move by Fry-Wagner. The packing & pick-up process went relatively smoothly.

My pick up date was 6/25 and the drop off days were 6/29 to 7/3.
Unfortunately after picking up my furniture I was informed that they did not have a driver to make the trip and were not sure when they would be able to locate one. I'm not sure when my delivery will take place at this point.

I have been very unimpressed with the customer service of both Fry Wagner and United Van Lines to this point. I don't understand the culture of the moving industry - it seems no one is willing to take responsibility when things go wrong. Other industries don't operate like this.

I'll post a full review if and when my things are ever delivered.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:30 pm

bigtuna wrote:I'm currently in the midst of an interstate move by Fry-Wagner. The packing & pick-up process went relatively smoothly.

My pick up date was 6/25 and the drop off days were 6/29 to 7/3.
Unfortunately after picking up my furniture I was informed that they did not have a driver to make the trip and were not sure when they would be able to locate one. I'm not sure when my delivery will take place at this point.

I have been very unimpressed with the customer service of both Fry Wagner and United Van Lines to this point. I don't understand the culture of the moving industry - it seems no one is willing to take responsibility when things go wrong. Other industries don't operate like this.

I'll post a full review if and when my things are ever delivered.

Big Tuna, I'm sorry to hear of the service failure you are caught up in....this June has turned out to be the worst in history, for direct load/unload service, The last 3-4 weak years have eroded the industries capacity, as truck drivers left the industry in droves. The $5.00 a gallon fuel 2 years ago accelerated the evacuation. I see and hear and know about hundreds of shipments all over the country, that are stuck in transit, waiting on an over the road truck to become available. My carrier has basically closed off all bookings from about Early June to Mid July, but so much tonnage was already booked, that it still overwhelmed the system.

Call Your move coordinator every day, do your best to remain civil, and when it is finally finished, file a delay claim ( if eligible) for your delay, keeping receipts and United Van Lines ( the carrier Fry Wagner books for) will make every effort to do the right thing.

Return to “Open Community”