Experience moving from Chicago to New Haven, CT with Armstrong Relocation

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Diane

Re: Experiences moving from Chicago to New Haven, CT with Armstrong Relocat

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Excuse me, but how much money are we talking about here for one extra dishpack? (I assume it involves the packing labor and not just the cost of the dishpack carton.)

If it's minimal, maybe Brian was going to eat the cost, i.e. reduce his sales commission. Just a thought. I don't think we have all the facts here. Let's refrain from pillorying Brian until we know more.

To the OP, I think it's extremely unlikely that a driver would protest loading three dishpacks rather than two. (I don't know whether he would be packing it or not, but usually the packers are separate from the driver.)

Your question about whether the drivers are Armstrong employees is also a good one. I think the compensation may be different for company drivers than it is for owner-operators, if the Armstrong drivers are not independent owner-operators.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:03 pm

I don't see that the OP has mentioned anything other than one extra dishpack, not all these theoretical overages. Let's not go nuts here.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

RS23

Postby RS23 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:17 pm

I spoke with Debbie my move coordinator again and she reassured me that the extra dish pack or lower estimate shouldn't be a problem. She's quite confident like Brian in what he estimated.

And if a dish pack is about 100lbs, then I think the 2 dish packs that Brian estimated should be about right for our place (after all we only live in a 1BR). The only additional things we didn't have marked down on the itemization sheet was an extra 2 boxes of books from my wife's office and 2 boxes of linens/towels a guitar that were both in the apartment during the estimate, but not marked down. Brian also marked down a queen bed and an armoire in his estimate, which we are not taking.

Besides for the books from my wife's office...everything we're taking was in our apartment when we had the estimate done, so hopefully it all works out well. This is our first move with a moving company, which Debbie seemed to pick up on after our phone conversation today, and she reassured me that things should go smoothly. I'm gonna keep a positive perspective and trust her.

The crew should be coming around 8am tomorrow morning. We still have some random odds and ends to pack up tonight, but for the most part we're all set and ready to go. I'll try and give another update sometime tomorrow evening/night.

BTW...thanks for all the feedback from everyone in the thread. Sometimes it freaks me out, but I appreciate it regardless because it makes brings up scenarios I'd never think of and allows me to address and ask about them with my move coordinator.

Cheers

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi again - please don't worry. It sounds as if everything is under control and there will be no surprises. In the past, industry people have posted here that 10 extra boxes are usually no problem for a driver, but when you get to 40 extra boxes, there could be a problem. I hope that will put things in perspective for you. Sometimes we volunteers go off on tangents here that have nothing to do with the particular move in question.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes. Having chilled bottled water and possibly some snacks for the crew would be great, but you're so nice that you've probably already thought of that!

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Very true, Diane. Yes - we are discussing NTE as a whole, and this particular move shouldn't be a problem. Armstrong is a well-established reputable mover, but it's not a surprise that the discussion about NTE estimating strikes a chord with some of us.

Add everything together and hopefully you can start to understand why lowball estimates are so unpopular with drivers. They're the biggest reason that the industry can't retain quality owner-operators.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I thought we were talking about choosing between two companies where one estimator showed only 2 dishpacks when the customer asked that the whole kitchen be packed. I think there would be more like 8-12 cartons in total, so we're talking about more than just one carton here. And as Rick pointed out: a little here - a little there - move after move, etc., etc.
The industry suffers as a whole over the loss of good drivers who get tired of being beaten by this. It would be nice if more customers focused just a little less on getting the lowest price, and understood that good hard-working people will be taking care of their things, and those hard workers certainly deserve to be paid for what they do. Not more and not less.

My final thought on this topic: Plains lost this move to the apparent under-estimator. This customer took a 15 day spread to save money. They may end up paying for the additional packing anyway, and would miss out on the 5 day spread that was offered by Plains.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:17 pm

No - I've heard more about this situation (internally) now, and I know for sure that it is a very minor thing that was blown up WAY out of proportion. The customer will not end up paying for additional packing and the driver will not be unhappy.

My concern in these exchanges is that we not worry an innocent customer unnecessarily. The customer shouldn't be the target of soapbox oratory stemming from people's years of experience with the accumulated woes and injustices of the moving industry. (I am not referring to you, Bill.) This poor customer, who says he has never used a moving company before, doesn't need to be made to feel like a criminal dreading the arrival of a prosecutor-driver tomorrow morning.

I think sometimes we lose sight of the big picture, that's all. As you say, we don't want to alarm an honest customer.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

RS23

Postby RS23 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Haven't had a moment to update this thread until today as I've been traveling to New Haven.

Armstrong was at our place in Chicago this past Friday. They sent a 2 man crew to load up the shuttle. Both guys were very nice and professional. We did end up needing 3 dishpacks, but it wasn't a big deal from what I could gather.

Also, to my pleasant surprise, I got a call from the driver who has our stuff to deliver to New Haven. He said he will be in New Haven on the 1st. The 1st was the earliest day we could accept delivery, so we're pumped that all our furniture and other things will be arriving on the 1st day of our 15 day window.

Over half way though the process and everything has been going smoothly. I'll report back sometime after the 1st after our stuff is delivered.

Cheers

RS23

Postby RS23 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:47 am

Finally have a chance to sit down and wrap up my experiences with Armstrong....

During my last update I mentioned that our belongings would be delivered on the 1st day of our 15 day window, and was quite excited. Unfortunately, this didn't happen because our street is a 1-way street the driver couldn't pull his truck up to our place without blocking traffic, so he had to come back 3 days later in a shuttle. Not a big deal for us. Day 4 of our 15 day delivery window was still a lot better than Day 15.

The crew who delivered our belongings were also friendly and professional and worked fast, like the crew who packed us.

There were no extra charges for the shuttle at destination, nor for additional weight. We paid exactly what was quoted to us in our binding estimate, besides for the tips we gave to the guys who packed and delivered our stuff.

We had 2 things that had some minor damage, a removable part from my grill was a little bent and wouldn't fit back onto the grill properly, and a wine glass was cracked. When I filed my claim, the claims rep contacted me the same day and informed me our claim has already been processed and we should be receiving a check in the mail in about a week.

All in all, I have to say I had an EXCELLENT experience working with Armstrong. Everyone that I had contact with in the company was courteous and professional, and always willing to address my concerns. I don't have the slightest hesitation in giving a strong recommendation to anyone considering using Armstrong for a move.

I'd also like to thank the posters at this site. I found Armstrong from a couple other poster's positive reviews, and the posters in this thread also gave me good things to think and ask about during the process. I appreciate everyone's input.

If anyone has an additional questions about my experience, feel free to post in here or send me a message through the site.

Cheers.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:28 pm

RS23,
Thanks so much for coming back and sharing your experience with us. I'm glad to hear that you were well cared for.
It's always good to see positive reviews here when most of the time the discussions are negative.
Nice work Armstrong!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”