3 in-person estimates, over 2500 lb difference

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
wfay

3 in-person estimates, over 2500 lb difference

Postby wfay » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:29 am

I had 3 different companies come yesterday to offer quotes on my upcoming move. I am moving from Jacksonville, FL to Memphis, TN.

A Mayflower local agent (Hill's Van Svc) gave me a GNTE for 5000 lbs based on the contents of my 3 bd apt. He expected it might be less, perhaps 4500 lbs. I need to check back with him on how much per 100lb will be refunded if it is less and see about attending the pre and post load weighings etc.

A Steven's local agent (Baymeadows Movers) gave me an estimate of 5000 lbs. This was a much more casual estimate than the Mayflower agent and my estimate does not say GNTE anywhere on it, though I asked for it specifically upfront. I put the least amount of faith in this estimate based strictly on the amount of time spent in the apt looking at things and the fact that it does not appear to be GNTE.

A North American local agent (Beltmann Group) gave me a GNTE estimate of 7500 lbs. He was very professional like the Mayflower agent and gave the R&R book along with a packet of info and took his time considering the contents of the home etc. I also do not have a "price per pound to be refunded" if the weight is far less than the estimated value and will need to get that.

Despite the wildly different estimates on the weight, the prices are within $500, with Steven's being the most expensive, then NA, then Mayflower.

I am just wondering how exactly 3 people can come into my home, see the same stuff, and one of them thinks we have 50% more stuff than the other 2.

At this point, I am strongly leaning to just doing this myself with a Budget truck like I have done before. Its easy to line up cheap labor on both ends, it costs less, I keep possession of my property the whole time and can avoid hotel costs by loading the mattresses last for easy access while unloading, and I don't mind driving the big truck. The only issue there is getting a good truck with no problems, and I've had good experiences with Budget in the past, so this should be fine. Might go Penske anyways.

Any thoughts on the 2500lb difference (3k if you believe the Mayflower low-ball)??

wfay

Re: 3 in-person estimates, over 2500 lb difference

Postby wfay » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:36 am

Another question for someone out there...

I'm not currently a AAA member, but I have been considering joining simply because I'd get some money off my truck rental, and probably some money off my car insurance too.

Anyone know what kind of discount I will get from Penske if I'm a AAA member? They have a checkbox on the front of their reserve online page for AAA membership.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:51 am

I posted about that a couple of days ago--people have been saying that you can get a 10% discount with AAA and another 10% discount if you book through the www.movingorbit.com website, and maybe more. Check this thread that I started - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1674
Just remember not to use www.movingorbit.com for anything else--it has many scammers listed with it.

Also, I think I remember someone posting recently that with Penske you get a confirmed, guaranteed rental whereas with other companies you can be disappointed--they don't guarantee that you'll get a vehicle as you'll see if you read the fine print at the bottom. That actually happened to me once, and there's nothing fun about being stuck in a city with all your belongings packed and no truck to put them in. I believe that Tim himself used Budget and was happy with them.

On your weight estimate question, I'm sure that one of the moverguys here will comment eventually.

wfay

Postby wfay » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:46 am

Appreciate your response Diane... I had already seen your movingorbit post a few days ago and I'm seeing 10% MO, 10% online, and once I join AAA later today, hopefully another 10% AAA discount.

(went to MovingOrbit and then Penske to try it...)

So it looks like you get EITHER the Moving Orbit discount -or- the AAA discount. And the AAA discount is 12% instead of 10%. So obviously, you should take the AAA if you already have AAA. But it might not be worth joining just for the discount, unless you were already thinking of joining like me.

[told you i'd join eventually... :D ]

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:58 am

Oh, OK . . . thanks for clarifying. Just to reiterate: DO NOT use MovingOrbit.com for any purpose other than to get the Penske discount! Their website is infested with scam movers.

IMP

Postby IMP » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:12 pm

I cannot tell you why 3 people would see the same things and see vastly different weights. Did each leave you with a cube sheet/table of measurements? If so - does the list of items to be moved look about the same? Can you tell what cube factor they used? If they did not leave you with this page - you can certainly call them and ask them to send it to you. Actually - on a GNTE you should have been asked to sign it as your price is guaranteed based on that list of items.

That big of a difference I would certainly question, as well. Now - if you had a 35,000 shipment and it was a difference of 33,500# and 36,000# - that wouldn't concern me as much. Guess what I'm saying is that it's the high percentage and not the 2500# that raises a flag with me.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:45 pm

wfay, please let us know if you start getting emails for moving after using MovingOrbit, even if you don't ask for quotes. I'm curious as to whether the cookies implanted on computers would let the site know that you are looking for moving-type services, and sell your info to the movers involved with their site.

damfino

Postby damfino » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:20 am

as for AAA, you CAN count on them for roadside assistance if you are in the unfortunate position of getting stuck. I'm a big fan of the auto club, i financed my last car through them, plus, FREE MAPS!

best of luck to you

wfay

Postby wfay » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:59 am

MusicMom... I'm a software developer by day. I can assure you that cookies used by sites like MO will not result in them somehow getting your email address. The only way they could get your email would be if you gave it to them -or- if you gave it to an affiliate of theirs (perhaps by clicking over to Penske.com and giving Penske your email).

The programming inside your web browser will not allow site ABC.com to read the cookies stored on your computer by any site other than ABC.com. There have been several bugs discovered in Internet Explorer which allowed 3rd party sites to read cookies they did not own, but these bugs have been fixed, so assuming your PC is up to date you should not experience these issues.

IMP... I need to sit down with my estimates this evening and see exactly what they gave me. I do not know for sure that they left the cube sheet. I did not sign any GNTE as I was not making any fixed reservation immediately, and said I would be in touch once I had all my estimates in hand and had made a decision. I was told that the GNTE estimates would apply based on the furniture and possessions in the home at the time of the estimate -- obviously buying 2k lbs of furniture before moving would result in a higher rate.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:15 pm

Thanks for the clarification on the cookies thing!

(Another note on AAA, they sell discount movie tickets for AMC theatres. If you buy 10 ticket vouchers from them, you can save about $3 a ticket. More than paid for the membership!)

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:35 pm

"Blue" has just posted that you can get the 10% online booking discount just by going directly to the Penske site at
http://www.pensketruckrental.com/person ... index.html

You don't have to link to it through MovingOrbit, so don't. I agree with MusicMom that MO might pick up your email address from your Penske booking somehow.

Also, "blue" said that the AAA discount for local Penske rentals is 10% and it's 12% for one-way rentals.

And finally, "wfay" clarified that you can get the following:

1. A 10% discount from Penske for booking on line. You can get this either directly from the Penske website or by clicking to the Penske website from the MovingOrbit website.

2. A second discount of EITHER 12% if you have AAA membership OR 10% if you link to Penske's website through the MovingOrbit website.

So, I think I'm correct that people who have AAA shouldn't have to visit MovingOrbit at all.
Clear as mud, I know . . . just do it . . . it's easier than my trying to explain it on a Friday afternoon.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:36 pm

wfay: I'd be iterested in knowing who you selected and why. I am moving within Florida and have received quotes from both Baymeadows and Beltmann. They were within $100 of each other. I would have never considered Baymeadows except my company just had Baymeadows do their corporate move and everyone seems to be raving about them. I have not found anything negative (at least doing my seaches), and I need to make a decision in the near future. I'd be anxious to hear your decision and why. Thanks!

moveman340

Postby moveman340 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:00 pm

The only differnece perception. Make sure that the mover is giving you a not-to-exceed estimate. Call the mover that gave you a NTE estimate for 5000lb and tell them that another agent gave you an estimate for 7500lb. This will make them either wonder where they went wrong and they will go away, since you are on to them.

Throw out low estimates and get another. Contact <snip> in <snip>. Very large company in Florida that does good work.

Moveman
An Honest Mover since 1982

Good Luck!

[This post has been edited by the moderator to remove advertisements]

jambulingam

Postby jambulingam » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:16 pm

I have used baymeadows movers to move from jacksonville to tampa FL last year. they do a pretty good job and are very professional. Now I am looking for a mover from tampa to NJ and unfortunately when i contacted them, they said they were booked so could not get their services.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:51 pm

Thanks for your review of Baymeadows (Stevens), which I've added to my files.

As a matter of policy, MovingScam.com does not endorse any full-service moving company. However, here is a post summarizing comments and reviews posted here about companies in your area. Focus on companies that have done interstate, not local, moves for people.
Diane wrote:CENTRAL FLORIDA (includes St. Petersburg, Tampa, Lakeland, Orlando, and Ocala)

Allied Van Lines agents

--Blocker Transfer (Allied) in St. Petersburg, Tampa, and Ocala/Gainesville.
We have good remarks by industry people but no reviews.

Atlas Van Lines agents

--Atlantic Relocation (Atlas) in Tampa.
This company has good comments by industry professionals and it won a quality award from the van line in 2004. However, it was said to be under new management as of summer 2005, and there is a complaint about an ongoing move having to do with delay and lack of communication:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4258 (interstate)

North American Van Lines agents

--Tampa Bay (North American) in Tampa.
Not much information.
We have a so-so review by "cardsfan" for his move from Tampa to Houston saying that they are a smaller NAVL agent. They showed up late and didn't protect the floors very well, but nothing was broken and they gave him the lowest estimate of the major van line agents:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1292#51292 (interstate)

United Van Lines agents

--Armstrong (United) in Orlando.
I think this is a fairly new agency for Armstrong in Orlando. No reviews.

--Fister Moving & Storage (United) in Lakeland.
This company is run by the same person, Randy Browning, who runs Browning Moving & Storage in Tallahassee. The phone number is 800-722-6683.
We have good comments about its performance on interstate moves from "23" (a sales rep for another United agent) and also good comments from "PMueller" (a sales rep for an Allied agent):
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6405

--Hilldrup (United) in Orlando.
No reviews but good comments by industry people.

--Suddath (United) in Tampa and Orlando.
No reviews but good comments by industry people.

Independent moving companies

--Beach Transfer (independent) in St. Petersburg.
There is a good report on this small company run by Tom Kilpatrick:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4457 (several within-state moves)

--Small Moves, Inc. (independent) in Orlando.
This company's website is www.smallmovesorlando.com.
There is a comment by "ladyuga" saying that she heard they were good for local moves. They are not licensed to move people interstate:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=837#837 (local moves)

I advise against using the independent company Florida Van Lines/Mid-State Moving & Storage in Clearwater (Tampa area) because of doubts expressed by industry professionals. Also, several people have posted horrible reviews of Father & Son (independent) in Orlando:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5968
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2789

Return to “Open Community”