**Help needed. Moving DE -> MD

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
prikindel

**Help needed. Moving DE -> MD

Postby prikindel » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Hello everyone,

suddenly we need to move from Wilmington, DE to Silver Spring, MD, and we need to do it ASAP, before snow starts. So we don't have much time to prepare. We have a fair amount of boxes and some light furniture. Not too much, but the boxes are heavy, so we need someone to load, drive, and then unload stuff.

Would anyone recommend a reliable moving company please?
Thank you!

MusicMom

Re: Help needed. Moving DE -> MD

Postby MusicMom » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Bayshore is the first name that comes to my mind.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Try Hopkins and Sons Moving, near you in New Castle. They're a very good company and an agent for Atlas Van Lines. Call (302) 322-5421 and ask for Mark Pitrizzi. He's a VP there, the son of the owner and an honest man.

Good luck with your move! :)

weem

Postby weem » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:34 pm

An economical, honest mover is Park Moving in Aberdeen,Md. This is their type move.
Bayshore is extremely good but can get pricey.

prikindel

Re: **Help needed. Moving DE -> MD

Postby prikindel » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:51 am

Thanks, everyone!
I'm thinking that maybe it would be great to rent a truck and drive it by myself. Pick it up in DE and then return in MD. But we will sill need someone to load and unload stuff. What about these companies - Bayshore etc? Can they do just that - load/unload?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:15 am

prikindel wrote:Thanks, everyone!
I'm thinking that maybe it would be great to rent a truck and drive it by myself. Pick it up in DE and then return in MD. But we will sill need someone to load and unload stuff. What about these companies - Bayshore etc? Can they do just that - load/unload?

Probably not, there's not any profit in that....if you drive, you would probably enjoy the full moving experience if you did the heavy lifting too.

prikindel

Postby prikindel » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:39 pm

I see. So the only way is to find someone on the craigslist? :?

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 pm

The companies mentioned are full service moving companies. They can provide packing, loading, unloading, and storage if needed.

In-home estimates are provided free of charge and without obligation.
Invite three companies to come and see what needs to be moved and/or packed. See the article written above in the sticky section called: "How to get an accurate estimate."

Once you have your three estimates, feel free to post your questions here for our guidance.

Good luck.
Last edited by BillAdams on Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 pm

prikindel wrote:I see. So the only way is to find someone on the craigslist? :?

Or find the place where the hispanics hang out in the mornings to hire out to contractors, they'll do....you'll save a few bucks, but don't let them get hurt on your premises, unless you carry workmens comp.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:18 pm

While you can't hear Archie's sarcastic tone, his point is valid. That's mostly who you'd be hiring if you went to Craigslist, guys (of any ethnicity) who are in it for the money without the hassle of licenses and insurance. If you hire an uninsured company and someone gets injured in any way, you are their de facto employer and YOU are responsibile for their medical bills if they sue you.

Give the real movers a shot, you may be surprised. Get two or three estimates based on in-home visits, and talk with them about your price range If it truly is out of your budget to hire a full-service mover, you either need to step down to labor from a reputable company, which Archie pointed out isn't really profitable to them but still can be done, or hiring some people from Craigslist at the risk of damages to property or people. Odds are your move would be fine, but is it a risk you're willing to take? Or, you can downsize your stuff being moved to make it less expensive.

Be aware that if you try to get a full service move for a pared-down budget, you run an increased risk of falling for the over-the-top promises of unscrupulous movers, such as those who necessitated the founding of this very website. Do not believe anyone who says they can do the exact same job for half the price as the movers who come to your house for the free estimate. They're either cutting corners majorly on insurance and licenses and equipment maintenence, or they're going to bump up the price to the actual cost of moving but only after they have your stuff in their truck.

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:42 pm

As a mover - if I could put 3 men to work for an 8 hour day loading a truck for somebody else to drive, during this time of year, I believe I would be making 3 men and their families very happy.

For the customer - it's worth a look see - to at least find out. Explore your options, it will cost you nothing but some time. You may be pleasantly surprised by what you find.
Do your homework then trust your instincts

prikindel

Postby prikindel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:13 pm

weem wrote:An economical, honest mover is Park Moving in Aberdeen,Md. This is their type move.
Bayshore is extremely good but can get pricey.

Do they actually have a website? I can only see www.unitedvanlines.com but I think they are agents or something? Or a phone number?

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:21 pm

Normally, I wouldn't jump in on this thread, but United only has one agent in Delaware and it's Holman Moving Systems. Disclosure: I work for Holman.

Good luck with your move!
Paige Holden

weem

Postby weem » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Parks is a United agent in Maryland that can cover South Delaware--contact is through the United web sight.

In no way am I trying to slight Holman- or any other Delaware mover.

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks Weem. No slight on our end either :-)
Paige Holden

Return to “Open Community”