Local move- DC to VA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jkamnik1

Local move- DC to VA

Postby jkamnik1 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:47 pm

I will be making a local move (15 miles) from DC to Arlington VA in early April. Giant Van Lines offered me the best price estimate, insurance, and lowest minimum charge. However, I have seen quite a few bad things about Giant on this site. I am also considering Cheseapeake Movers, but it has only been in business for one year. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

consumer advocate

Re: Local move- DC to VA

Postby consumer advocate » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:22 pm

Stay as far away from Giant as you can. Here's a news story to support that suggestion: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Nov10.html

And if you check the DOT website, Chesapeake Movers (DOT#1152049) of Silver Spring, MD doesn't have operating authority. If they performed your move, they'd be doing so illegally. Consult the article on this website, "How to Find a Reputable Mover." Follow the guidelines there and you will somewhat lessen your chance of being scammed. Once you've gotten some names of companies you're considering, post their names and DOT numbers here and someone will help you assess them. Good Luck.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:40 pm

Consumer Advocate is 100% correct. Giant is infamous. This is how someone from the company posting as "a better idea" responded in August 2003 when I suggested that a diplomat's wife who had been scammed file a complaint against them:

Why dont you write your complaint on a piece of toilet tissue, then wipe your butt with it. I am sure it will have the same effect.

For some ideas on companies in your area, check the thread started by "Arline" entitled "New member move." Also, someone posting as "namllih" used a company called Gulliver's/Gullivers and was reasonably satisfied, although that company is blacklisted on www.movingadvocateteam.com. Finally, someone posting as Philip used Glamour Moving for a local move in your area and was low-balled, which is always a risk in situations like yours. Search on "Glamour Moving" to see what happened. Josh can advise you further.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:53 pm

Diane wrote:Why dont you write your complaint on a piece of toilet tissue, then wipe your butt with it. I am sure it will have the same effect.

How tasteful!

I live in Alexandria. Perhaps you should call Beltway movers,I haven't heard anything bad about them, and I know they only do local moves. Have you had any in-home estimates? Read the "Reputable Mover" article, and you should be fine.

jkamnik1

Postby jkamnik1 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:55 pm

thanks for the reply. it only took me about 3 mintues on this site to realize Giant VanLines was not the way to go. I was unaware, however, that Chesapeake did not have a DOT number. Certainly I will continue my search; if anyone has recommendations of a reputable moving company in the DC Metro area, please let me know.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:01 pm

I just spent a couple minutes researching Beltway Movers (since I didn't want to reccommend a bad company) and found that they have been in business since 1961 (that's really good), have no complaints that I can find, and I'm sure you've seen their trucks everywhere. I'll keep looking around for you.

California Bound

Postby California Bound » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:29 pm

I made a long-distance move from DC to California this past summer and used Hilldrup, a United affiliate based in Stafford, VA (www.hilldrup.com). I was really impressed: reasonable (not-to-exceed) estimate, excellent service, and very quick move, with no damage or missing items. I realize you are doing a local move rather than long distance, but you may want to call them for an estimate.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:02 am

California Bound,

I hope that you won't be insulted by what I'm going to say. We appreciate your writing in to recommend Hilldrup; actually, it has been mentioned before on this website, and favorably.

We have a problem because we would like to be able to verify the authenticity of posts like yours in order to be able to cite your testimony to other people. That is, when someone writes in to ask whether we know of any companies that have been used and liked in the DC area (and a lot of people ask this), we would like to be able to say, "California Bound used and liked Hilldrup." However, we actually don't know who you are. For all we know, you could be a Hilldrup employee. I can see that you are posting from California, but that still doesn't tell me anything definite.

Is there any way that you could either post some details about yourself or email them to me at diane2134@yahoo.com - where you moved from in DC, where you live now, and so on? I would be so happy if you could do that because then we would feel more comfortable citing your testimony and we could do a better job of helping people on this website.

Thanks, and again, I don't mean any offense with this. We get a lot of people making bogus posts here and have learned to be cautious.

California Bound

Postby California Bound » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:46 pm

Hi Diane,

Sorry for the really delayed reply - I'm not on the board much now that I have already moved, but I do want to help others avoid some of the mistakes I made last year.

No offense taken on your request - you guys need to make sure the feedback on the site is genuine. I'm a registered user now, but if you'd like more info on me, send me a private message. I'd be happy to give you whatever info you'd like on my move. For the record, I am not an employee of Hilldrup or any other moving company.

I moved from Arlington, VA to Davis, CA last summer. I tangled with Admiral Movers (now known as American National) a bit before I finally got things straightened out - some of my other posts on this board give more detail on what happened. Anyhow, Hilldrup was pretty good about squeezing my move into a pretty busy summer schedule on short notice. They coordinated the move, using a truck and driver from Mesa Systems (United Agent out of Grand Junction, CO). I was pretty impressed - Hilldrup monitored the move from start to finish, so I could get all my answers from one place. The Mesa driver was really good about contacting me directly as well. In contrast to other moves I have made, these guys actually overcommunicated the status of the truck and the estimated arrival date/time. There was no major damage or losses - a few dings here and there, but just the type of stuff you expect when moving goods a few thousand miles. They were nice people and gave me absolutely no BS. Ultimately, there's no guarantee that they'll provide this level of service for everyone that uses them, but they definitely get my recommendation. I know we need to be cautious about outright endorsements on this board, but I wish someone had told me about them early in my move planning.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:03 pm

Just so you know, when you start looking into agent's licensing information, DC and the metro area including Arlington is considered "in-state", so a company might not have to have inter-state authority.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:43 pm

Hi California Bound,

Thanks so much for getting back to us. Your post is very convincing and I don't think anyone will need more data from you to confirm that you're authentic! (Although you COULD tell me what day the Farmer's Market is held in Davis, or what city the nearest Target is in, or something . . . Just kidding!)

I think MusicMom is curious about the relationship between Gulliver's and Admiral, so maybe you can comment on that. That's probably why Gulliver's is blacklisted on www.movingadvocateteam.com, not because of itself but because of Admiral.

I'm glad that you think we're doing some good at MovingScam. The website had more than a million hits last month, all without doing any advertising. Its phenomenal growth has all been by word of mouth. Just a reminder that the website survives only through donations--it accepts no advertising in order to remain impartial.

My own research indicates that the majority of people posting here are young, bright, adventurous, and cost-conscious. Many are "early adopters" in the sense that they would consider moving with a freight forwarder like ABF or Broadway Express, which is a pretty gutsy thing to do. We get the occasional magnate, but not often, and they don't stay around long.

Moving with a freight forwarder is sort of like crossing the ocean in a freighter in the old days--you have to be brave enough to enter an unfamiliar macho environment and you have to trust that the people (drivers) who are guiding and protecting you will get you through it. It helps that both ABF and Broadway Express have excellent track records here and on Epinions.

I too am sorry that we can't recommend movers, or just give people a list of good ones. But we're afraid that any such company might not perform well, and then the website would look bad and we would feel terrible. We prefer to ask people to do the research themselves, and then guide them a bit.

Thanks again for your strong testimonial in favor of Hilldrup (United) in the DC area!

Return to “Open Community”