Samson moving and Storage (Chicago) OR Peacock

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
DP

Samson moving and Storage (Chicago) OR Peacock

Postby DP » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:27 pm

Any one out there heard of either of these companies. I'm looking for an out of state move and have received various quotes.

Samson has a binding estimate and Peacock has a gauranteed price and claim that they will not even weigh the truck.

Any response would be great!!

IMP

Re: Samson moving and Storage (Chicago) OR Peacock

Postby IMP » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:35 pm

Nope - never heard of either. Heard of those same scenarios lots of times on this board though, and they don't look very good to me - the "we don't weigh the truck" means it's binding - not GNTE or guaranteed not to exceed. If they guess your stuff weighs 10,000 pounds and it weighs 2,000 - then you pay for 10,000. WOW - what a deal! Sorry for the sarcasm - but these tactics are not good!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:44 pm

Get MC (motor carrier) license numbers for these companies and one of the volunteers will look them up for you, but I agree with IMP that both sound very dubious.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:55 pm

I see this for Samson. Is this the same company? They look OK on paper to me. This one is based on the Bronx, though, not Chicago.

Oh, dear, then I checked Illinois and found a Samson Chicagoland Movers, Inc. click here. They do NOT look OK. 2 license revocations, an insurance history more than a page long, violations for unlicensed drivers, inadequate brakes for stopping, cracked frames, bald tires, shall I go on?

Please let us know which company your are choosing. I'm guessing it's the bad one, since you are moving from Chicago.

Peacock is a more common name. I do see a Peacock Relocation Systems in Chicago. Is this the company you mean?

Postby 23 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:01 am

MM,
Peacock is a more common name. I do see a Peacock Relocation Systems in Chicago. Is this the company you mean?

This link shows Evans Distr. out of OK, is that who Peacock is?

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:47 am

Yes Peacock is located in Chicago. They seem to have a better record with the BBB.

Thanks,

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:51 pm

THe BBB should be a consideration factor, but not the deciding information. For one, when a company is a member of the BBB, they will ALWAYS have a satisfactory rating, nomatter how many complaints there are. Also, some scammers will lie about the complaint's resolution, or the story behind it, to make themselves out to be in the right. Just keep this in mind.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:57 pm

Sorry, 23, I don't know what happened with that link. Peacock Relocation Systems DOT # 602519 has snapshot.

Guest, can you tell me whee you foud their BBB report? The only company I see with Peacock in the name in Chicago is a jeweler.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:59 pm

OK, something weird is happening wih the Safersys links. Go to www.safersys.org and input 602519 for the DOT number.

IMP

Postby IMP » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:20 pm

FYI - West Chicago while near Chicago - is it's own town with its own zip code. Not sure if that has anything to do with the search functions, but it may be interesting trivia if you are ever on Weakest Link.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:29 pm

Thanks, IMP. That's what I needed. Here they are.

Ok, this shows what I said about members being in good standing. Peacock has 19 complaints in the last 3 years, 8 of them in the last 12 months. That's a lot!

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:47 pm

The safersys links being broken were my fault. They should be working okay again now. Sorry for the technical difficulties. We will now return to our scheduled programming...

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:38 pm

I ended up talking to an old friend that owns a Bekins branch in Chicago and he told me that Samson is bad but Peacock employees are just crooks. He basically told me a lot about the industry and gave me an honest quote for the move of $5,000. This was double what those others estimated and also told that it may take 2 weeks to get to our new location.

My wife and I have decided to rent a truck, hire loading help, and move ourselves. I never imagined that moving would be this much of a problem.

I'm paying $1000 for the truck, $1000 for a friend to drive the truck, and $500 for loading and unloading. For $3,000 we have saved money and have the piece of mind that was missing with these other companies.

Thank you all for the help and advice.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:53 pm

Good decision, and always the safest thing to do. Penske is the highest-rated van company on Epinions. To learn how to get a 20-22% discount with Penske, visit this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1674

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:46 am

We had our daughter move from Chicago to Baltimore, Maryland. We hired Samson Moving and Storage and got a binding contract from them.
They picked up our things on May 30 and delivery was suppose to be June 12 through June 23. We called the owner on the 21st of June and said our delivery would be on June 23. We drove 12 hours in the pouring rain to get to Baltimore. When we got there Samson said they would deliver on Saturday not Friday. Then Sunday they said they had to hire another company to bring our things and they would deliver on Monday.
Monday came, no delivery, we called and they gave us the driver's number. We called him and he said he was in Ohio with a few deliveries there, and then he was heading to New Jersey and New York and then he would bring us our things. My daughter started work Mon, June 26 as a resident at Johns Hopkins without any clothes, bed, toiletries, etc.
The driver said for another $250.00 in cash he could bring it out. When they did come there was only one guy so my daughter and her friends had to help move her at midnight. Then the driver's paperwork was incorrect saying we owed more than we did. The customer rep at Samson told us that there would be a $25.00 refund each day our stuff was late. She no longer works there. We have this in dispute right now.
Samson never will call you back to give you any kind of help.
We also found out that their interstate license has been inactive since 2005.

Return to “Open Community”