Bay area to NYC askig for a recommendation

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
EdInBerkeley

Bay area to NYC askig for a recommendation

Postby EdInBerkeley » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:57 pm

Hello,

I am moving a 1bdrm apt from Berkeley, CA to New York
at the end of July and (having been burnt in the past) I am
asking if anyone can recommend a mover.

My initial search revealed only one mover who has
no complaints with BBB and has been in business for a long time: Van Graf, a United Van Lines agent. I plan to get an estimate from them, but I'd like to get more estimates.

Thanks for your help,
Ed

Diane

Re: Bay area to NYC askig for a recommendation

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:28 am

Ed, I suggest that you get a quote from Robyn Visser at California Movers Express at (510) 785-2440. This is an agent of Stevens Van Lines. Several people posting here have gone on the board to praise her energy, concern, and attention to detail.

IMP

Postby IMP » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:26 am

And then find a third so that you have three, GNTE price quotes. Bring all 3 back here with the info and we'll help ya cypher 'em.

EdInBerkeley

Postby EdInBerkeley » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:40 pm

Thanks for the one recommendation, but these guys were busy.
I am still in the process of getting estimates.

One mover just told me that moving trucks are not allowed in
Manhattan so a shuttle will be needed, i.e. extra cost.
I am a bit surprized since other movers have not mentioned this.
Does anyone know if this is true? If this applies to all moving companies?

Thanks,

Ed

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:52 pm

It's very odd, but Broadway Express and ABF don't seem to require shuttles to get into or out of New York City.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:52 pm

It will apply to most majors Ed. Most wont mention it to you til they are at your home.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:54 pm

GO MICHAEL!

RobA

Postby RobA » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:39 pm

Hi Ed,

I'm also moving across the country from Berkeley, although I decided to move after the peak moving period ends after August 1st. (Is that the standard end of PEAK?) I told the Ca. Movers Express that I'd need to ship out the end of the 1st week in August and they said it wouldn't be a problem. Robyn's coming over on Thursday.

I also had an estimate today from Cor-o-van (North American), which had a clean BBB record. The guy from there, Dan, was very nice and really seemed to be on top of things, even though in the other East Bay poster in this forum (Chuck) felt he was low-balling his weight. (He estimated my 2 bedroom apartment at 4365 lbs). In the end it turned out that Dan was the closest to the actual weight.

Also, Chipman (United) in Alameda had a clean record and some positive experiences on this site. They're coming on Wednesday as is an Allied agent (Sausalito Moving) that also came up clean. I can let you know what those guys are like, if you're interested.

--rob

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:49 pm

Rob,

Peak season for United is officially after 9/6. Thats September, not August. After Sept. they will probably raise their discount level to their winter rates as is the norm. Until then your max discount for the distance your going is 59%. If you wait til 8/7-8/17 your max discount can be up to 64%.

Keep in mind that doesnt mean that agent will give you the max discount, or they could give you more if they are going to self haul it, you thought you should know.

Also, agents peak and non peak is per company. So Allied may be different then United and so on.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:56 pm

RobA,

I'm very interested in your experience; please post.

Chipman of Alameda lists 16 complaints with BBB, which is a relatively high number for a company with only 20 employees.
Cor-o-van of San Francisco has a ripoffreport on them on the web, which you can find using google. I do not know if this is the one you are talking to.

I have found 3 agents who have clean records: Graf, Ace and EMC.
I am still getting the estimates. They are not too keen to go out for a visit for a 1bdrm apt.

Ed

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:01 pm

Which van lines are the last three related to?

RobA

Postby RobA » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:27 am

Anonymous wrote:Chipman of Alameda lists 16 complaints with BBB, which is a relatively high number for a company with only 20 employees.
Cor-o-van of San Francisco has a ripoffreport on them on the web, which you can find using google. I do not know if this is the one you are talking to.

This may be faulty reasoning, but I decided that with a place that does as much business as Chipman those 16 complaints (and the way they breakdown) wasn't really too bad. And as for Cor-o-van, today's estimate was done out of their Dublin location.

And speaking of that RipOffReport, it seemed strangely fishy to me... Here it is for the opinion of the experts:

The guy on RipOffReport wrote: I was given a Binding Not to Exceed price of $4688.07 after an onsite analysis was made. They picked up my merchandise and the following day I received a call from Cor-O-Vsn claiming that my property weighed in excess of 3000 pounds of their estimate and I needed to pay an additional $2165.28.

I claimed we had a Binding Not to Exceed Price but was told it was a Not To Exceef Weight. This made no sense , theyre the same to me but I had a choice of paying the additional sum or retrieving my property and losing my $4688.07.

Rob

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:30 am

Hi,
I am moving from Cupertino, CA to North Andover MA in mid july. Pl let me know if there are any reliable movers
Thanks

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:42 pm

Guest,

Follow the discussion by Ed and Rob and you may get some ideas.

Rob, why don't you suggest to Dan that someone from Cor-o-Van rebut the Ripoff Report, since it seems to be doing some PR damage? As far as I know, the company has always had a good reputation and this may be some kind of misunderstanding with the customer.

EdInBerkeley

Postby EdInBerkeley » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:56 pm

Graf is a united agent.
Ace is Atlas
EMC is Wheaton.

Estimated 2500 lbs. I do the packing.

It looks like I'm getting quoted above $2500 and then there is the potential shuttle charge to Manhattan on top of that.

ABF said $1750 and I am inclined to do that, but I'd need to hire help
to load the truck in Berkeley. I suppose I should be able to find someone for 2- 3 hours of work. I'd appreciate any recommendations.
Also, if I hire someone, should I buy some kind of insurance for that person?

Return to “Open Community”