Philadelphia moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jenn

Philadelphia moving

Postby jenn » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:29 pm

I am looking for movers to do an intrastate move from from Philadelphia, PA to Washington, PA (20 miles south of Pittsburgh). I am moving from a 1 bedroom apartment to a 3 bedroom house. Does anyone have any suggestions for trustworthy movers? Also, if anyone knows of any movers that should be avoided, please let me know. We are considering Shelly Moving & Storage and Nicky's Moving & Storage. Does anyone have any info on these 2 companies? Thanks!!

Josh

Re: Philadelphia moving

Postby Josh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:08 pm

Jenn,

Although a BBB check is not always the best results, here is what I found out:

Shelly M&S
2 locations, 1 in Hellam, PA and 1 in Malvern, PA
They look like they are affiliated with Allied Van Lines
Only one complaint in the past 3 years
Been in business since 1954

Overall, doesn't look too bad

Nicky's M&S
Wyndmoor, PA
This company has at least 4 complaints with the bureau but all have been resolved. They have only been in business since 1991, but I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

Overall, Shelly M&S looks a little better off.

I am not as good as Tim yet, so if you provide me with a DOT # or MC # I can do some insurance checking before Tim gets to it!

Hope this helps and also read through the articles Tim has on his home page, a lot of good info!

jenn

Postby jenn » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:58 pm

Josh,

Thank you so much for your help!! The information you gave is invaluable. As for the numbers you requested, I got the USDOT#s from the companys' websites. Shelly Moving is 076235. Nicky's Moving is MC-434771-C. We also found 3 other movers which are local and were thinking about contacting. They are Platinum Moving Company (DOT#191485), Adelphia Moving and Storage (DOT# unknown) and Lehigh Moving and Storage (DOT# 670534). Are any of these worth our time or should they be avoided? Thank you again for all your help in making this stressful time a bit easier!

Cheers, Jenn

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:08 pm

Nicky's Moving & Storage
DOT# 675660 MC# 434771
6 units and 2 drivers
Started with HHG authority 6/26/2002 and was completely revoked on 8/21/2002. Re-instated on 9/26/2002
Located at:
990 E Mermaid Lane
Wyndmoor, PA 19038
215-836-4877
www.nickysmoving.com

Allied Van Lines DBA Shelly Moving & Storage, Inc.
DOT# 296607
Neither DOT# or name of company can be located in FMCSA L&I
Safersys says Operation Classification is in the application process
35 units and 46 drivers
Located at:
30 Lapp Road
Malvern, PA 19355
610-695-9438
OOS of vehicles is 50% and OOS of drivers is 16.7% with national averages being 23.34% and 7.62% respectively.

Josh

Postby Josh » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:38 am

Jenn,

The DOT # for Shelly M&S is actaully that of Allied Van Lines in Ft. Wayne, IN. They are a very large national van line, so your chances of being scammed by them are not that great, but extra charges could apply!

Lehigh M&S had 29 inspections and no vans were put out of service. That is pretty good, but I could not find any insurance info on them.

Paltinum Moving opened in 2000, kind of taking your chances with a new company.

Stay Stay Stay away from Adelphia Moving, no physical address listed, unsatisfactory rating with the BBB, and no date of when the business was started!!!!!

Any more???

jenn

Postby jenn » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:18 am

Josh,

Thank you for all your hard work! I really appreciate all that you've done. It sounds like Shelly's, Nicky's and Lehigh are all worth having an in-home estimate done. Do you think any of those 3 are a safer bet than the others based on what you've uncovered? Also, I found 3 other local moving companies that I may look into. They are A Pioneer Moving Systems (Lic# A-00115139, MC# 345495, DOT# 770342), USA Express Moving, and Sloane Moving and Storage. Also, in your last replay you gave me some "OOS" stats. Please excuse my ignorance, but what does OOS stand for? Thank you again for everything!

Cheers, Jenn

Josh

Postby Josh » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:05 am

Jenn,

OOS was in Rebel's post but it stands for Out Of Service. When a truck and driver gets inspected at the weigh stations, if they fail the inspection they get put out of service until the repairs are made.

Good news for you, I just me with a lady I am moving down to AZ and she previuosly moved from the Philadelphia area. She said her radio station (Y100 I believe) did like a massive search for a reputable moving company in your area and found one. I forget the name of it, but I gave her this web-site and told her about you. I think she will come on and post the name for you. They have moved I think 6 different people from the radio station and all have good stories.

Go ahead and get the three in home est. and if she posts for you, I would consider making them the fourth!

Good luck!

jenn

Postby jenn » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:46 pm

Josh,

Thanks for the info on OOS. I did find it, but it was good to hear the details. And a big thank you for letting me know about the girl that moved from Philly. Her recommendation would be much appreciated. I also found your article about finding a reputable mover. It was very useful in helping me check out the companies myself! It looks like I'm well on my way to finding a great mover! Much thanks and appreciation goes to you!

Cheers, Jenn

Josh

Postby Josh » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:35 pm

Jenn,

As much as I would like to take credit, Tim is the responsible party here. If it weren't for him, many more people would be getting ripped off!

Has anyone mentioned to you about maybe donating to help keep this site running? We are all volunteers here that spend hours researching and responding to many people who are moving. But unfortunately, there are the expenses of phone bills, web-site mngmnt, and other expenses that Tim is responsible for. Any amount is appreciated and we all wish you luck with your move!!!

Glad we could help!

Josh

jenn

Postby jenn » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:26 am

Josh,

My husband and I would love to make a donation to your organization! Your help has been invaluable! And please thank Tim for us as well. Without the work that you guys do, millions of people would be scammed. I admire your commitment and would like to help. I checked out the link to PayPal, but didn't find where you could send a check instead of using a credit card. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. I'm not real keen on giving out my credit card info online, even if the site is secure. I've had problems with that as well. But I'd still like to contribute. Is there an address where donations can be sent?

Thank you again for everything. I'll keep you posted on our progress as well as the company we chose and how they worked out. Hopefully our experience can help other Philly movers as well.

Cheers, Jenn

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:06 am

Adelphia Moving and Storage PA Inc.
DBA(doing-business-as) A Pioneer Moving Systems Co
Just stay away from this company under either name....their driver out-of-service record and insurance history are horrible. Not to mention the BBB report.

Safe Move, Inc.
DBA USA Express Moving
Phoenix, AZ
DOT# 1099878
Granted HHG (Household Goods) Authority 5/5/2003
2 units and 2 drivers
Too new and too small to mess with

Sloane Moving & Storage Co, Inc
Elkins Park, PA
DOT# 599929
HHG authority since 1995

There are two Platinum Companies I found:
1)
AAA Platinum Relocation
DBA A Platinum Moving & Relocations
Brooklyn, NY
DOT# 919275
No authority, no insurance
Don't bother messing with this one

2)
Platinum Moving Company
Philidelphia, PA
DOT# N/A MC# 457928
Still applying for authority, no insurance
Don't bother messing with this one

3)
DOT# 191485 (What you listed for Platinum Moving Co.)
Bigbee Transportation, Inc.
Check the DOT# you listed to make sure it's correct

Lehigh Moving & Storage
Jersey City, NJ New York, NY Bronx, NY
DOT# 561286 MC# 307015
No authority, no insurance
Don't bother messing with

One question, could you tell us where you're coming up with these companies? Possibly an internet listing? Just curious. If these are from an internet listing, try not to use internet listings to search for your moving company. Try to contact some major businesses in your area and see what movers their companies use. And if you get nowhere that way, try to look at someone that is well-known or well-established and then ask us about them so we can check out that specific branch you are looking to deal with. In my experience, it's best to stay away from internet entities when looking for your mover.....word of mouth is much better.

Josh

Postby Josh » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:47 am

Jenn,

Again, you are more than welcome from all of us! I love what I do and love helping people with their moves!

I sent Tim an e-mail asking for his address, he should be replying soon.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:01 pm

Josh and Jenn,

Thank you very much. I kind of kept out of this topic because it looked like Josh and Rebel had it pretty well in hand, but I do follow every conversation here even with my tight schedule.

If you are more comfortable mailing in a donation, we can accomodate you. Just send me an email at tim@movingscam.com and I will email you an address where you can send a check. I don't post my address here for the simple reason that I get tired of the threats from some of the moving companies. They can email those to me, and I don't have to worry about them dropping them off via 'Brick-Through-Window Express Delivery'. :wink:

I'll leave you back in the good hands of Josh and Rebel, and if you need anything else just give a hollar! Best of luck with your move!

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:00 pm

Rebel,

Yes, most of the names I have gotten from internet sites or ads I've seen. My major problem is that I can't find anyone to give me a recommendation. I'm a grad student and therefore don't make enough money to hire professional movers (my husband got a new job that is paying for the move which is why we can afford it now). All of my friends are grad students who are in the same boat. I've asked several professors, but all of them have moved from out of state which didn't help. I tried calling some companies, but all that I talked to had their own drivers and trucks. Again - not helpful. What types of companies shuld I be calling for recommendations? Maybe I'm calling the wrong kinds. The only recommendations I got were from the loading docks at my university. They have used Fischer Hughes Transport Inc. in Doylestown (DOT# 077949) who are agents for United Van Lines. They have also used Graebel Eastern Movers in Moorestown, NJ (DOT# 220843). What do you think of these? Fischer doesn't look too bad, but they're not great. Any opinions would be appreciated! Thank you for all your help!!

Cheers, Jenn

Josh

Postby Josh » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:57 pm

Jenn,

I would suggest getting estimates from both of those companies you just listed. I promised Tim and Tyronne that I would not be specific with referring a company, but you listed two pretty large companies.

I think you will be surprised when you get the estimates from them, they should be pretty competitive in pricing with even local companies.

When are you moving? How much weight have people estimated for you? Are you doing your own packing? If I had to guess pricing for a 1 BR apt. going about 300 miles, I would think the ballpark of $1300 - $1700.

I would hope after all of this that you will have the best move of the year! :P

Return to “Open Community”