ABF experience thus far

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
randall

Re: ABF experience thus far

Postby randall » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:47 pm

I found this website last night, as I anxiously pondered yet again what moving company or option I should go with for a fast-approaching move. I read Kara's comments with great interest, as I am considering ABF. So if Kara is out there, please let us know -- What happened with your move? Were you as pleased with ABF in the end as you were in the beginning? And Adam, where are you on ABF?
I have also been considering Benny's Moving and Storage in CA, but it seems that there are many questions about their legitimacy. I just called the California Moving and Storage Assoc and the woman at the other end said that Benny's has no PUC or CAL T, one of which is required for the company to be legal.
The CMSA rep suggested three companies: ACE Relocation Systems in San Jose, North Cal Moving Services, and Piedmont Moving Services (CA). Does anyone know anything about these companies? My family and I are moving from northern Mississippi to northern California in about 4 weeks, and we need to make a decision very soon -- e.g., yesterday! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Amy

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:03 pm

I think you would be pleased with ABF judging from the reviews we have, which I'm currently putting together into a thread. I moved with them myself a year ago. Another one to consider is Broadway Express (see new review posted on this site just a few minutes ago) at www.broadwayexpress.net. BE gives you more amenities than ABF for a comparable price.

IMPORTANT:- DON'T approach Movex first or you won't be able to get a quote from BE since Movex, a broker, uses BE as one of its main carriers and it has implemented a non-compete agreement whereby BE can't quote anybody who has already gotten a quote from Movex.

Regarding the suggestions by the CMSA, I'm sure that those are all good companies but just in terms of who might have a truck in your vicinity on a date that you might want to move, I think it would be better to go with a company that routinely operates nationally like ABF or BE rather than a California-based company. (I realize that one or more of those companies might be affiliated with a national van line.)

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:09 pm

None of the companies mentioned have their own authority, so they'd be using their parent company's information.

Piedmont is a Mayflower agent
ACE Relocation is Atlas

Couldn't find anything for North Cal.

adamschneider

Postby adamschneider » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:36 pm

randall wrote:And Adam, where are you on ABF?

So far, so good... my only complaint is that they were quite late in both picking up and dropping off the trailer, and they didn't call en route as they said they would. It didn't disrupt our moving schedule, but it meant having to wait around for them. (To be fair, though, they said I didn't NEED to be there when they picked it up.)

This is the sort of thing, of course, that might vary greatly from one ABF location to another.

I won't be able to provide any updates until next week when our stuff arrives -- until then, it's out of our hands. Which is both liberating and scary as hell!

Goldizen

Postby Goldizen » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:55 pm

I can't tell you all how helpful you've been. I was actually told about this site from one of the many moving companies I have gotten quotes from :shock: . ABF was one of my final choices for my move from Iowa to Arizona at the end of this month. After reading all this info, I feel confident they are the best choice for me. Thanks for all the great tips!! :lol:
Cindy

adamschneider

Postby adamschneider » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:28 pm

A very minor update: I'm pleased to see that the tracking page on ABF's Web site works as advertised, and it's updated throughout the day. Earlier today, it said my stuff was en route to Omaha, and at the moment, I get this:

'YOUR SHIPMENT WAS DISPATCHED FROM OMAHA, NE TO CHEYENNE, WY (WITH AN ETA OF 07/09 AT 23:15) LOADED TO SALT LAKE CITY, UT.'

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:57 pm

You might have noticed that I've already put you on a "5 Reviews of ABF" thread, Adam - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050

In writing it up, I found that I didn't have the dollar amount that ABF charged you for the 10 feet that you used. Can you give me that figure?

adamschneider

Postby adamschneider » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:38 pm

Diane wrote:I found that I didn't have the dollar amount that ABF charged you for the 10 feet that you used. Can you give me that figure?

I haven't paid them yet, but it should be $1630, minus $128 for each unused foot: $1374. Oh, and then another $75 for the ramp in Portland.

So, in theory, I should end up paying $1449.

As I mentioned in another thread, this is quite similar to the quotes we got from Budget and Penske. So why ABF? Well, either way, we'd have to pay for moving supplies and we'd have to do the loading/unloading. Either way, we'll need two nights' lodging on the road. But driving our Hyundai means $100 in fuel as opposed to $350. Also, we wouldn't be able to take our cat in the truck, so it'd cost about another $150 to send her on a plane! So we're saving maybe $400, and we don't have the stress of driving a monstrous truck across the windy Great Plains.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:41 pm

Did you use a ramp to load? I didn't quite catch that. If not, how did you manage?

adamschneider

Postby adamschneider » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:10 am

Diane wrote:Did you use a ramp to load? I didn't quite catch that. If not, how did you manage?

Yes, we did use a ramp to load; it would have been pretty much impossible without it. The $75 for the origin ramp was included in the price I gave. Which I now see was off by $50... oops. :oops:

Here's the correct breakdown:
    12 feet from MSP to PDX: $1630.00
    Ramp at MSP: $75.00
    On-line discount: -$25.00
    2 unused feet: -$256.00
    Ramp at PDX (hopefully!): $75.00
    TOTAL: $1499.00

adamschneider

Postby adamschneider » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:45 am

An update, from eastern Montana: I just checked the Web site, and our stuff has arrived in Portland. They picked it up on Wednesday night and it left Minneapolis on Thursday. So it took TWO business days to get there! (They promised 5-6.)

Now we have to see if our helpers can do it early...

jartinian

Postby jartinian » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:10 pm

[quote="adamschneider"]So it took TWO business days to get there! (They promised 5-6.)

Hi Adam -
I am using ABF in 2 weeks to move from CA to Chicago. What do they do with the trailer if it gets to your destination before you do?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:56 pm

As I posted on another thread just now, the ABF spokeswoman I am in contact with told me that ABF will store the trailer at its terminal for up to 2 business days free of charge (and weekend days will be free also). If the trailer has to be stored more than 2 business days, the customer is charged $50 per business day. She said that this policy is sometimes relaxed slightly during the winter so that the customer might get 1 extra business day free at certain locations, decided on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the terminal manager.

adamschneider

Postby adamschneider » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:56 am

When I called to schedule our trailer delivery (for Friday), they didn't mention extra charges to me, and frankly, I can't imagine they'd do that to us, given that our stuff arrived a full three business days before their estimate.

jartinian

Postby jartinian » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:34 pm

Well thanks Diane and Adam - I really appricate the quick response. This web site has been so incredibly helpful - everybody's honest input really helped my husband and I with this up coming move - this is our first move using a moving company and all the info here has made this move much easier and eased both our minds! Good luck at the new place Adam! :D

Return to “Open Community”