A Pleasant Moving Experience - Recommended Mover in NYC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
FoxyPat

A Pleasant Moving Experience - Recommended Mover in NYC

Postby FoxyPat » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:44 pm

I just wanted to post about my moving experience from Brooklyn, NY to Florida.

I decided to go with U. Santini (American Red Ball agent). After reading all the horror stories about moving I was expecting something to go wrong. Nothing did!

I had two households to move - mine and my parents. Our stuff was picked up with shuttle trucks on Monday and Tuesday, June 21 and 22. The four guys who loaded up our belongings were polite, hardworking, and very careful with everything. We were told that the trailer wouldn't be leaving NY until the weekend and we should expect to get our belongings the following Thursday, July 1. On Tuesday evening, June 29, the driver called to ask us if it would be okay to deliver our things on Wednesday, June 30th.

The driver and his helper were just as great as the guys who loaded up our stuff in NY. Between the two houses we had over 500 pieces of furniture and boxes and NOTHING was lost or broken. Best of all the final weight of the move was only 500 pounds over the original estimate.

I HIGHLY recommend U. Santini to anyone moving from the NY area. They are located in Brooklyn, NY on 15th Street.

Patricia

Diane

Re: A Pleasant Moving Experience - Recommended Mover in NYC

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:55 pm

Hi, Pat - how great to read this. Does this company do local moves in NYC? Would it be able to send guys to load/unload people moving with ABF or Broadway Express in Manhattan? If you could find out, I would very much appreciate it.

I don't know whether you saw the May thread on U. Santini at http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1532

I think this must be the same company. What's odd is that one person posting there said that the company doesn't go to Florida!

Andy1

Postby Andy1 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:20 pm

I just got an in-house estimate from U. Santini/Red Ball. Mine is a small move, they estimated about 1485 lbs, and said the minimum is 2000 lbs. I'm a little concerned because even with that leeway, they would not give me a binding estimate. He gave me an estimate of $1580 (it's going from Brooklyn to Fairfax, VA). He claims that the only charge I might have to worry about is a shuttle charge, which should not be necessary where I'm going. Also extra would be insurance above the 60cents/lb.

What do you guys think?

Andy1

Postby Andy1 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:25 pm

Incidentally, U. Santini did give me the Rights and Responsibities booklet. That was a concern in the other thread linked above.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:35 pm

Andy, the 60 cents "insurance" you mentioned is not "insurance", it's "valuation". It's a long story, but basically valuation assignes a price per pound to your belongings, which is rarely fair in the customer's eyes. A 10 pound bowling ball would be worth $6. Your $5000 plasma TV would be worth about $60, assuming it weighs about 100 pounds. Ask the movers about Full Valuation Protection, or look into purchasing insurance through a third party company like Baker International. If you want more info on valuation vs insurance, do a search on valuation in quotes.

Andy1

Postby Andy1 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:09 am

MusicMom wrote:Andy, the 60 cents "insurance" you mentioned is not "insurance", it's "valuation".

Thanks for pointing that out, they did explain how that works. At All Star (I noted the estimate they gave me here: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2038 )
they gave me the option of getting each $1000 worth of coverage for $7.50 with a $250 deductibe, I think it's through St. Paul's Fire and Marine.

Return to “Open Community”