Local Movers in Boston

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
TC

Local Movers in Boston

Postby TC » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:13 am

Can anyone recommend a good local mover in Boston? We've scheduled a long-distance move with Movex, but need some professional help loading the trailer here in Boston (Brighton, specifically). I was hoping to hire Gentle Giant, but they're not sure if they have the man-power available that day. Any other suggestions? I'm willing to pay a premium for knowledge and experience, as they could really help me save a lot of money in the long run... :?:

Diane

Re: Local Movers in Boston

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:33 am

"rosiet33" (a resident of Boston) posted a while back that Marathon Movers had been highly recommended to her, although she said that she herself usually used Nick's. She is still actively posting on this board but I don't think she's registered, unfortunately.

Please be sure to come back and tell us how your move goes.

rosiet33

Postby rosiet33 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:22 pm

Hello, I finally registered.

Marathon Movers was highly recommended on the arlington list - a local bulliten board for arlington (www.arlingtonlist.com)

I used Nick's (somerville) a couple of times - once was terrific, once was so-so (not enough manpower, and I thought one guy's knees were going to give out on the spot!)

Last time I moved I used Benny's Moving & Storage in Watertown. They were suspiciously cheap, but turned out great. Watertown is also pretty close to you in Brighton, so they might be a great option.

Otherwise, if you just need loading help, check out boston.craigslist.org under services. In this economy, there's plenty of people looking for odd jobs, and they're typically cheaper than movers.

Good luck!
Rosie

TC

Postby TC » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:31 pm

Thank you for the replies. Very helpful. Indeed, from what I have read on this site, Benny's seems a little suspicious, in general. However, the likelihood of getting scammed by local movers seems remote. (We'll never be out of sight of our stuff). We just need to make sure they actually show up when they say they will.

Looks like Gentle Giant will be able to help me out, after all. However, at $156 an hour for three guys (on a Wednesday, no less), I may explore the other avenues suggested.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:34 pm

TC, you're right to be leery of Benny's, especially in view of this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1836

Rosie, TC is right--companies can be OK for a local move (partly because of tight state regulations) but a really bad idea for an interstate move. We've seen many, many examples on this message board.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:55 pm

tight state regulation or not, even if you keep them insight the whoel time, ther's nothing that would prevent them from demanding extra money at delivery time. Just want to keep you in reality.

rosiet33

Postby rosiet33 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:08 pm

Fair enough, but I thought he just needed local loading? That's why I recommended Benny's - the guys that showed up ay my door were by far the best I have used in Boston. They were on time, professional, and really wrapped my furniture well and took care of my fragile boxes.

But that's just my experience. For a local move, a lot depends on who shows up at your doorstep that day. I'd be really hesitant to pay the GG premium just for loading. Good luck!

TC

Postby TC » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:20 am

Thank you all, again, for the advice.

As it turns out, Gentle Giant may still be a great company, but their sales people have yet to impress me. Called last week to reserve movers to load a Movex-contracted van. Gave all my vital stats to the sales person who said she would email me the confirmation as soon as we got off the phone, just as a formality. Never received the email. Called this morning. Talked to the same lady. Who are you? Oh, yeah, I remember. Let me check if I have anything available that day. Calls me back and says that yes, indeed, there is a 3-man crew available sometime in the afternoon between 12 and 4.

No thanks.

Called Benny's, who agreed to at least try to get the movers there when I needed them. Since all I know is that I have the van for 6 hours the day of the move, I figured that mid-day would be a good time for the movers to show up, and Benny's said they will able to accomodate.

I know, I know. Benny's is evil, but they will never have control of my stuff. And, all in all, Benny's customer service has been much more professional so far than GG. And much much cheaper. Will let you know whether everything comes off as planned.

Wish me luck. Having to wait around for the truck or the movers is going to cost me a lot of $$.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:01 pm

I used Bennys Moving of Watertown and i had a great move with them

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:16 pm

Guest, I notice that a post just made by David Abotbool (GM of Benny's) on the "Avoid Benny's" thread came from the identical IP address in Jamaica Plain as your post, but 12 minutes later. When people do this it really destroys any credibility that the company might have.

As it happens, we have a good review of Benny's and useful price comparisons for Boston-area moving companies posted by "Philippe" on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2591 If the GM hadn't tried this shady stuff I personally might have been much more inclined to recommend Benny's for local moves in the Boston area.

dabotbool

Postby dabotbool » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:23 pm

Tim--
You are right. It was irresponsible of me to post positive reviews for my company. I went on your web site and was frankly shocked to see some of the comments posted about my company. I did respond to some of them and wrote you an email but in the heat of the moment I was eager to try and combat what I was reading. Please don't judge me by one mistake. I have been in business for 12 years and stand by my reputation.

As I wrote to one of your users, there is a responsibility that comes with power. You and your users should make every effort to make sure the information is correct before posting. It is for your own protection that you at least have to make an effort to prevent people from marring the reputation of a legitimate company.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
David Abotbool

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:30 pm

david,

You, of all people, have absolutely no place trying to lecture me about responsibility. You came here and started posting under false pretenses, lied about it, and then attack us because of your own actions. Those were three individual, conscious, and deliberate acts by someone you would like us to believe is the President of a reputable moving company. I find you repulsive and am growing weary of reading your self-serving posts.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Return to “Open Community”