Recommended mover I hire might not be the one moving me?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Recommended mover I hire might not be the one moving me?

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:13 pm

OK, I've gotten my three recommended agents and had them do my estimates. The one I like best so far is Armstrong United, but the salesperson told me she could not assure me that they would be doing the actual moving, and another United affiliate might be who I end up with. So how can I know if the research I've done and recommendations I've gotten are even applicable? If I hire Armstrong because of good recommendations they could pass along my business to Bernie and Bubba on the blacklist... On the flipside, one Bekins agent (Boyer-Rosene) was highly recommended, but the company overall seems to have poor ratings. Is there any continuity between who sets up the move and who actually does it? Any suggestions would be much appreciated-- I need to make a decision quickly.
Thanks,
Suzanne in Chicago

Bob Murphy

Re: Recommended mover I hire might not be the one moving me?

Postby Bob Murphy » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:22 pm

GUEST, If you book with Armstrong United, they will pass your move on to Bernie & Bubba, it will be put into the United dispatch system and would be hauled by either United or Mayflower. hope that helps you out a bit.
Bob

Bob Murphy

Postby Bob Murphy » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:23 pm

i meant they will NOT pass it on to Bernie Or Bubba sorry about that

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:24 pm

The sales rep from Armstrong should have explained this better. What they meant was another United agent would perform your move, but not some random mover. The United corporate entity is behind your move, whether Armstrong performs the move or another United agency. That is how all majors are organized, including Bekins. There is a corporate umbrella over a group of agents who execute the moves. It's standard business practice.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:31 pm

My concern was more that there are distinctly different reviews for different agents/movers within a big company such as United or Bekins. On epinions.com different United movers have gotten everything from 5 star rave reviews to 1 star raving mad complaints. (Bernie and Bubba were completely of my own creation since I didn't want to point a finger at any particular other United affiliate)
: ) Suzanne in Chicago

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:32 pm

The most recent information we have is that Boyer-Rosene should be avoided if possible.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:35 pm

oh, forgot to add that I asked the salesperson if I could find out ahead of time who they might pass along the business to, and she said I could find out a couple of days before the scheduled pick up date-- not enough time to reschedule if the new mover turns out to be a dud!

Postby 23 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:03 pm

Suzanne,

Can you name 5 "duds" that are United agents? I know there are over 550 agents in this country if that helps.

The risk you are taking will be the same for any company and shouldn't be a concern if you have followed all of your steps in finding a reputable mover. Remember, it will all come down to your estimator if a problem arises!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:17 pm

Suzanne, I think (my own non-mover opinion!) that you will be OK with Armstrong United, or whoever they have to hire to help out.

You mentioned you had three estimates, who was the third?

Where did you see bad reviews of the specific agent you met with? Was this one of the Epinions?

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:27 am

The risk you are taking will be the same for any company

I strongly disagree. Some of the risks are reduced when a major van line is selected. (Notice I said "reduced", not "eliminated") :wink:

and shouldn't be a concern if you have followed all of your steps in finding a reputable mover

Yup.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:13 am

Wow, thanks for all the responses!

23: As I mentioned, epinions.com has a wide range of reviews for different United agents. I understand that there is no "regulation" of such message boards, so people could just be making up some of these horror stories, but many stories with many details tend to make me nervous. With over 500 agents, a company with an excellent 90% approval rating is likely to have 50 duds. Just talking probability here... I have done my research and followed the recommended steps to find a reputable mover. My concern is I might not get who I researched and hired.

MusicMom: I didn't see bad reviews of the particular agent I am thinking of using, but of other United movers to whom they might farm out my business. The complaints I've read on epinions (and on this website) have been more about the moving crew, driver, etc, that actually move the person's belongings, not with the agent who set up the move. I don't care if a complete jerk fills out my paperwork if the people handling and moving my belongings are good and professional. A wonderful agent back in an office in Chicago doesn't help me if the physical handlers of my stuff (sorry, I'm not up on the lingo!) are unsatisfactory--that's what I'm concerned about.
Oh, and my third quote was from Midway--comparable price, but they wanted to pick up my stuff July 25th, put it in storage while they used the truck for local moves, then reload everything and ship it on August 5th. It will be difficult enough to wait for my belongings during the delivery window for a small move, without adding on the extra time for their convenience. I also thought the loading/storing/reloading seems to be just asking for trouble.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions!

IMP

Postby IMP » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:18 am

Suzanne,

Does Midway have interstate operating authority? Just curious.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:51 am

My advice is not to use Midway.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:07 am

IMP: Midway advertises local and long-distance moves, and the salesman I spoke with commented that he had arranged the exact same move (Chicago-Austin) several times. Whether they'd be farming out my move to another carrier, I don't know-- I didn't follow up with them because of the goofy early pickup/late delivery suggestion.

Diane: thanks for your input, I've ruled out Midway for the early pickup/ storage/reload situation.

Thanks again for your help,

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:46 pm

Suzanne, I know you've decided against Midway Moving & Storage (DOT# 730844), and Diane said not to use them, but I'd like to post why we say not to use them, so others can understand that we aren't just randomly tossing out companies.

Midway Moving & Storage had a 2 1/2 year license revocation from Sept of 2001 through Feb of 2004, during which time they continued their insurance, meaning they were continuing to move, despite having no license. Also, within three weeks of each other, there were two crashes involving the same truck, and the same driver, citations issued both times. A third crash happened just three months before that. Not a great record. In addition to this, two of their three driver inspections faied, one for no or improper driver's license, and the other included not ahving the proper license to drive the truck (actually two separate charges related to this). I would not trust my belongings in their hands.

Return to “Open Community”