Anyone know of Express Relocation Van Line?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
GDBaer

Re: Anyone know of Express Relocation Van Line?

Postby GDBaer » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:09 am

After much hand-wringing I have decided to go with Mayflower. I had 5 folks come out and do estimates. Three (Atlas, Bekins, and Mayflower) were all very close in price and seemed very reputable. Of the other two, one called Air1 seemed very shady. The tempting one was Ben Hur. They quoted me $3000 on a 5000 pound move versus $4000 for each of Atlas, Bekins and Mayflower. The problem is Ben Hur:

-Would only quote on cubic feet, not weight
-Did not give me any documentation on my legal rights
-Has a lot of bad press on your website
-The quote said it could vary up to 9%

Still, I was willing to take a fair amount of risk for $1000 in savings. Alas, one final read through the many negative Ben Hur references on your site has me convinced. I'm going with Mayflower, but it is really a flip of the coin between them, Atlas and Bekins. All 3 seemed to be excellent companies that wanted to do things the right way.

Again, many thanks for the sound advice.
Cheers,
-GDB

IMP

Postby IMP » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:09 am

If you would be so kind when the move is over to come back and post your experience with Mayflower to include the name of the agent you booked with, the actual weight and actual charges, origin and destination - it can certainly help others in the future when we have positive experiences to point to.

This site has a policy of non-recommendation - we can point people to postings from either successful visitors or non-successful ones to help them make an informed decision as you did, but we won't outright say that we recommend a particular agency or moving company.

Thank you and best wishes for a successful transition!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:39 pm

Air 1 and Ben Hur are known scammers. Do a search here for further info.

The general rule is, just like any major purchase, if the price seems too good to be true, it usually is. mvoning will be very expensive, and i bet the quotes from the three majors are just about right on.

Can you post the basic info from those three quotes?

GDBaer

Postby GDBaer » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:14 pm

Sure . . .
The Atlas quote (Gentle Giants is the local rep) was $4020 for 5000 pounds. It was a non-binding estimate (not a GNTE) but I felt very comfortable with that number given my experience with the rep as well as all of the favorable write-up's here and a personal recommendation. That number also included boxes at no additional cost, as many as I wanted (not delivered). It did not include a shuttle which, given my condo location, was a possible need but, according to all 3 estimators, not likely. The rep that came to do the estimate was Mike. He was great.

The Bekins Estimate was 3989, GNTE. It was also 5000 Lbs. Tom Mitchell was the rep and also fantastic. Tom thought they would be able to get a truck back to my place but included a long carry in that estimate just in case they had to leave the truck in the street out front.

Last was Mayflower. Michael Sarro from Blue Chip moving and Storage was the rep. It was a GNTE for 5800 lbs for $4378. I also got a number for 5000 lbs for $3862. Mike was also unsure about the shuttle. After we spoke for an hour or two, he actually had me take him to my complex's management building to see if they had any policy forbidding a big rig in the complex (nice move!). He called me back and said that he would include a long carry in the work order to avoid any potential problems with a shuttle. I chose to Blue Chip and Mayflower mostly because I just felt really good in my dealings with Mike.

One more piece of info, the move is from Los Angeles to the DC area. Again, I would feel comfortable hiring any of the 3 of these companies and all 3 representatives were great.

Let me know if there is more info that would be useful.

Cheers,
-GDB

IMP

Postby IMP » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:26 pm

Thanks for the info. Did these folks tell you what tariff they are using? If they are using current tariff of 400N then there shouldn't be a separate long carry charge - so you should get that back if you prepaid! Glad to hear you have 3 that you're comfy with.

Return to “Open Community”