Ace Relocation Systems?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MovingtoSeattle

Ace Relocation Systems?

Postby MovingtoSeattle » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:14 am

Hi All,

I've been perusing this website for quite a while as my husband and I have anticipated a move across the country from the DC area to Seattle, Wa. Now that it's finally happening, we've learned that his work has chosen Ace Relocation Systems as our mover (they are paying for the move). The other movers used by his company is Hilldrup United. I'm not sure if we are allowed to chose- but was concerned when I saw that Ace Relocation Systems local office is based in Jessup, MD (as listed on their website):

8305 Stayton Drive Suite D
Jessup, MD 20794
General Manager: Dan Lammers

1-800-543-3981 toll free
410-792-9727 local
410-792-0335 fax

However, the contact assigned to us is: Bonnie Whittemore for Ace Relocation Systems.

Any feedback on this mover good or bad? It looks like they are a subsidiary of Atlas Van Lines.
I believe they are contracted to perform our household move as well as car move.

Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

Jennifer

Nancy/Guest

Re: Ace Relocation Systems?

Postby Nancy/Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:38 am

I am familiar with the Lammers family. They own several branches of Ace Relocation Systems, including ones in San Jose and San Diego, CA areas. This company has a long history, and I believe it is the second generation of family owners. I don't feel they are a typical scammer/fly by night outfit. You should certainly still do some homework on them. I understand it is a red flag that they are located in Jessup. I suggest you go visit their facility, make some excuse, like to buy boxes, and take a look at the trucks and employees.

Also, because your employer is paying for your move, you have some protection in that their overall buying power is behind you. There are very few cases of a mover ripping off an account of theirs. They have no interest in making extra $$ on one move, at the risk of loosing an entire account.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:41 am

According to DOT records, there is an Ace Relocation Systems located in Orlando, Florida. Their DOT number is 1052359. Is this the company you are considering? You're right to be concerned about a mover showing an address in Jessup, Maryland. That has become a new hotbed of scam moving companies. One thing to watch out for is scam companies that pretend to be affiliated with major van lines. You can check that on the major van lines' websites. It appears that the part of the DOT website that allows you to check insurance and operating authority is not working right now but keep checking at www.safersys.org for information on Ace. Another thing you might do in the meantime, if you haven't done it already, is read the article on this website, "How to Find a Reputable Mover." Follow the guidelines there and you will somewhat lessen your chance of being scammed by a mover. Good luck.

MovingtoSeattle

Postby MovingtoSeattle » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:02 pm

Thanks for your input so far. From looking at the Orlando Ace Relocation Systems, everything appears to check out ok - with the exception that they are only allowed to operate intrastate rather than inter-state. I did find the Jessup Ace Relocation Systems from Atlas Van Line's official website (and even listed them as having received some award): http://www.atlasworldgroup.com/allopts/ ... i?state=MD

I hope that you're right, Nancy, that having the power of a big company backing our move should provide some cushion for us against scammers... but still if there is anything to be concerned about with this company, I'd rather known now in case I can plead our case to use Hilldrup instead.

Odd that on Ace's website: http://www.acerelocation.com/ I couldn't find the DOT #s at all.

-Jennifer

jaysoffian

Postby jaysoffian » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:01 pm

Did you end up using Ace? What was your experience.

BTW, at the bottom of Ace's website, it says:

Atlas U.S. Dot No. 125550

MovingtoSeattle

Postby MovingtoSeattle » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:44 pm

Sorry for the long delay in replying- we did end up using Ace Relocation Systems (Atlas agents) for our cross-country move. They also stored our stuff in storage for 4 months and then delivered it to our home just a few weeks ago. Mostly we had a positive experience- they did a good job packing (we had to have them pack to have them insure it) and for the most part there was little damage to the house or to our belongings. Don't know how "fair" their fees were since it was a corporate move paid for by my husband's company. On the delivery day to our house, they arrived 8 hours late after several phone calls to clarify. This was quite annoying since they wouldn't deliver on the weekend w/out a $400 surcharge for "overtime" (seems ridiculous since weekends should be a mover's work-week not overtime) so my husband took a day off work to be there for the move, and then we waited around until nearly 5pm before they arrived. We have already had repairs done to our house where they damaged door frames in the move-in process (covered by Ace) and are in the process of submitting a claim for a stereo receiver which was damaged in the move (and the movers had packed 2 free weight dumbbells on top of it in a box!). Didn't appear to be a scam compay in any way.
Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try to reply sooner!

jaysoffian

Postby jaysoffian » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:11 pm

I also used Ace and had a terrific experience. We packed about 80% of our own stuff to save costs. Ace provided boxes for free. A packing crew of 3 (showed up about an hour late) carefully and effeciently packed the rest.

The driver showed up the next day 30 minutes early with 3 guys. The showed up at 8 and everything was loaded by 3:00 or so. They were very careful and there was no damage. Our stuff was picked up on a Friday. The driver (who was actually from NC, our destination) told me he was in California till Wednesday to pick-up another load, but that he'd be in NC by Sunday (July 4th) and could unload that day.

Sure enough, he showed up Sunday morning at 7:45 am with a local crew of 4 guys. They had everything unloaded by 1:00 pm or so. Mostly all the boxes went to the right rooms. They were quite careful unloading and carried quite a few very heavy items upstairs w/o complaint. We also had them put some heavy items in the basement and again, no complaints.

There was basically no damage (just a few minor dings/scratches/dirt on walls which one should expect on any move). There was one spot where I think our dryer might have slipped out of their hands (I didn't see it) and dinged the wood floor. In any case, they were obviously careful and I can't fault them for these minor items.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with the experience. This is the second time I've succesfully moved with Atlas, having now used two different agents.

BTW, we moved 11,000 lbs of items across the country, full-valuation, for <$9000 ($8600 I think). The estimate was 11,500 lbs, so they did a good job there too.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:03 pm

Jay, did you use a different branch of Ace Relocation Systems, one based in California rather than in Jessup, MD? If so, it would be helpful if you could post its location so we can keep things straight.

I ask because I think I remember that there was an Ace Worldwide located in Huntington Beach, CA, that didn't have very good comments about it. That company might not be related to the one owned by the Lammers family, however.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:04 pm

Are you moving from California?

Ace/Atlas is a major van line that services the entire country. Hiring a major van line will not guarantee an issue-free move, but what it will pretty much will guarantee is that they will have the financial power to settle any claim you have. Get a binding estimate based on an inventoy list of items and accessibility conditions at origin and destination.

I do not work for Ace BTW. I run up against their estimator all the time though.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:59 pm

I've heard that the policy at many companies, major van lines or non-movers, is to deny any claim immediately, and only look at it if the customer re-submits it.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:28 pm

Hello MusicMom,

That is not true as far as my understanding with major van lines.

The problem with claims is that almost everyone tries to get more compensation for damage than what the damage really is. Nearly 90% of initial claims are false.

Through our company, once a customer calls with a claim, we breifly ask what the claim is and immediatley send out a claim form to our customer. The customer is required to fill out the claim form, provide photos of damage, and resubmit the form to us. After this, an investigation process begins where the crew is questioned. and depending on the extent of damage, a company representative is sent out to evaluate damage. During the investigation, we will review the inventory taken by the driver and signed by the customer to see if damage already existed. Compensation is based on the valuation chosen; i.e $0.60 cents per pound, actual cash value, or full value protection which does not count depreciaiton. In summary, companies with non-professional movers will not be able to point out prior damage to customers before an item is handled thus causing problems down the road.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:49 pm

The problem with claims is that almost everyone tries to get more compensation for damage than what the damage really is. Nearly 90% of initial claims are false.

Where did you find these statistics???

Not to say your company doesn't do exactly what you says it does, but if EVERY SINGLE moving claim was as thoroughly investigated as you say, how many extra man-hours would that add? Are companies really willing to pay this overtime, or are they more likely to hope the customer will get frustrated and not come back for a real claim?

I'm sorry, I'm not really trying to argue here, but...

Unknown

Postby Unknown » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:40 pm

California Moving & Storage Association claims seminar. It doesn't take that much time to ask a moving crew about a move, look up an inventory form, and inquiry with a client. If a mover says he did do damage to a piece, then the claims department would settle if you have a good company. It really does depend on the extent of damage. Almost 80% of moves go without claim (these are numbers for major van lines). There are many types of moves; the moves mentioned on this site are moves called commercial COD moves - charge on delivery...many of the major van lines concentrate their fleet on government moves, military moves, office/industrial moves and national account moves - something all the companies on this site have no idea about or can't service. The majority of these types of moves are booked at nearly full tariff rates hence an enourmous amount of profit. This is one reason major van lines have prices that are so high; these companies would not go bankrupt if they did not do any COD moves. Most of the types of moves mentioned above are all full pack/full unpack types of moves and have a far fewer number of claims resulting from clients packing their own belongings incorrectly.

I'm not an expert on claims by any means. I'm a certified moving consultant with the AMSA who works for a major van line. Just happened to be bored on a saturday... and found this site... I'm not here to argue about anything; I just find this site entertaining as I've had past experiences with alot of the companies and names mentioned in this site from previous companies I have worked for a long time ago and see their issues finally catching up with them. Consumers should also understand that there are alot, I mean alot of problem clients out there that have their complaints and game plan of complaints and problems ready before moving companies even arrive at their house to do their move. Alot of people dont understand that everyone is human.

Alot of movers handle furniture differently; alot of movers subcontract work to keep labor costs down; hence there are alot of claims in this industry.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:17 am

Unknown Estimator,

Without revealing who you work for, among these movers,

California Movers Express (Stevens)
Chipman Alameda (United)
Ace Relocation Systems (Atlas)
Cor-o-Van (North American)
Sausalito Moving (Allied)
Graf (United)
EMC (Wheaton)
Rossiter Relocation (United)
Crown (United)
Golden Gate Moving and Storage (Allied),

which three of these would you suggest that people in the Bay Area get quotes from if they want to get quotes from agents of three different van lines for a move to the East Coast?

Do you know anything about Delancey Street Movers for local moves?

In your opinion, are there any good Bekins agents in California?

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:59 am

I don't understand your question, D (although you aren't asking me so I suppose it doesn't matter that I don't understand). It seems like you are asking for recommendations for a full service mover based on some sort of "short list", but the criteria for making the list were unknown. Where is this going?
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Return to “Open Community”