BK to Madison Estimates

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
nyssa

BK to Madison Estimates

Postby nyssa » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:52 am

Hello-

I need to chose a mover soon - I've had 3 estimates but only 2 are GNTE and I would like to choose between these two, but the results are wildly different. I know I should find a 3rd estimate but since I need to move by August 15th I don't think I have enought time.

The two quotes are:

1) University Van Lines (Atlas Agent)
MC - 79658
They don't go to the midwest so it would just be an Atlas truck, not their drivers.
Estimated Weight - 4400 lbs
Cost (with $250 deductable insurance) - $3,350 (and possible $418.00 for a shuttle in Madison).
I got a good vibe from the guy who came to see me and he is easy to reach via email which is comforting.

2) Dahill Mayflower
DOT 86492
I'm unsure if it is one of their drivers or not
Estimated Weight - 3500 lbs
Cost (with $250 deducatable insurance) - $2200 (unsure of shuttle cost)
Also seemed alright, but not quite as good. Did everything right - gave me rights and responsiblities, DOT #, and took a long time explaining things to me.

The wild swing in weight and cost is scary. My non-binding estimate put the weight closer to the 3500 lb estimate.

Any insight into this conundrum would be appreciated. I feel like I am running out of time and want to make a decision so that it isn't made for me by no companies having free dates!

Thanks!!

Diane

Re: BK to Madison Estimates

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:13 am

Nyssa,

I can't comment on the conundrum, but will just say that University Van Lines has been used and liked by two people posting here: "atticmouse" and Rob. "Patricia in Brooklyn" said she was very favorably impressed by their estimator and was probably going to use them; you might send her a PM to see whether her move has already taken place. I guess I would lean toward University because of its track record with people on this board.

nyssa

Postby nyssa » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:17 pm

I agree that going with a mover that people have liked is appealing, but the fact that University is quoting us at more than $1000 more is scary. Of course, the weight could be less than he predicts and it could even out in the end, but I'm not sure I'm ready to risk that.

I just sent the estimator an email - I'm sure he can't lower his price, but maybe he can give me some more information on how he got to such a high number.

I can't seem to find any information on people who have used Dahill Mayflower so I may be the guinea pig....

nyssa

Postby nyssa » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:28 pm

When I google Dahill, it seems like they pop up on some of the scam type websites like:
http://www.free-moving-quote.com/mayflower-moving.html which is one of those bidding sites.
Is this a red flag?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:36 pm

I can't access the site you mention, but yes, it would be a red flag if that happened. But as I said, I was unable to confirm that.

I think I remember one person commenting that University's prices were a bit high. On the other hand, there is a possibility that if you go with the lower estimate, the Mayflower driver could protest and then you might be asked to sign an addendum on the spot saying that you will pay for the additional weight if the weight exceeds 3500 pounds. In other words, Mayflower might try to "unbind" the bound estimate on loading day. Just a head's up.

nyssa

Postby nyssa » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:52 pm

thanks for all your help so far! i'm calling back the company that gave me the non binding estimtate in order to check the weight they estimated.

this is the general bidding site that is making me nervous:

http://www.free-moving-quote.com/index.htm

it is called safe movers. can you access it by cutting and pasting.
i don't know for sure if dahill uses them, but when i do a google search for dahill mayflower this site comes up...

my gut is starting to tell me not to use this company, but i'm not sure i can afford university van lines...

nyssa

Postby nyssa » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:54 pm

even though my gut is telling me not to use them, they are family owned, have been around for 60 years and check out with all the neccesary DOT, saversys etc. and gave me the rights and responsibilities booklet when they came to do the estimate....

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:00 pm

I can access the Safe Movers site but I don't get that site when I input "Dahill Mayflower" on Google. I would rather doubt that Dahill would be on scammer-type websites but I could be wrong. Was it on any others?

I recall now that a mover posting here as "Bob Murphy" was a little dubious about your going with Dahill unless you could be sure that the Dahill agent itself would haul your things, which it probably wouldn't do in my opinion. Otherwise you are looking at a Mayflower interstate driver.

Are you a member of AAA or is your parent a member? I think 23 said you can get free FVR coverage with Atlas if you have AAA. I don't know how much you're paying for valuation coverage but you might save something with University Van Lines this way.

nyssa

Postby nyssa » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:07 pm

Now things have changed a bit --
I called back U Santini (who someone had good experiances with on this board). Their estimate comes out to 4500 pounds and about $3000.00. I would go with this, but it is a non binding agreement which makes me uncomfortable and which this website says not to go with. This makes me a bit more nervous that I got lowballed by Dahill and that the driver may refuse to pick it up without an additional charge....

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:15 pm

I really don't know how to advise you. I think the person posting here as "23" would give you the best advice if you can ask him to take a look at this thread.

Postby 23 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:58 pm

Here goes:

Atlas and U Santini are within 100# and a few hundred dollars of one another.

Mayflower on the other hand seems to be desperate for business or awful at estimating!

If it were me, it would be Atlas. I would ask how much I could save with AAA on your valuation and ask neighbors up in Madison to see if you will need a shuttle. My gut feeling is you won't need one, but you should try to find out.

Also, if price is the determining factor, be honest with your rep from Atlas and let him know what you can afford. If he can help, I am sure he will, if he can't, then that is that.

This is in no way a recommendation of Atlas, this consumer needs to make a decision soon and I feel this is the best advice. I work for a major competitor and have no affiliation with Atlas or University. This is the decision I would make!
Good luck!

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:18 pm

I'm familiar with parts of Madison so I might be able to help let you know if you'll need a shuttle (no promises). If you want to email me your new address I'll tell you what I know. Most areas of the city are very accessible. The hardest parts to get into would be around the University, but even there isn't anything like Chicago or NYC.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:34 pm

(the link above was for MoveDirect.net. the link doesn't work because of the inadvertant adding of the comma at the end)

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:39 am

Fixed.

nyssa

Postby nyssa » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:21 am

We've booked with University VanLines and are moving in mid-august. Once I get settled in Madison, I will post about my experiences. I'm hoping for the best! Thanks to everyone who offered advice!

Return to “Open Community”