Ace Relocation Systems?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jim

Re: Ace Relocation Systems?

Postby Jim » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:50 am

Music Mom,

It's been a while since I've responded to a comment here, but I work for one of the majors (Diane knows which one), and my department handles claims submitted by shippers with damage to their goods, and i can tell you my people are despised by my own contractors because of our desire to find the truth about what went wrong.

The comments submitted by "Unknown" pretty much represent the practices employed at my company, with VERY minor differences. And you're right, it takes many hours which is why I have people both in my office and our corporate office dedicated only to investigating claims made by shippers, interrogating contractors, working with insurance companies, working with repair crews (if the damage is salvagable to the satisfaction of the customer), reviewing all of the paperwork related to the move, and responding back to the shipper regarding the claim. I can only tell you I take every claim submitted very seriously. Once the investigation begins, it becomes fairly evident which claims are legitimate (and the contractor called to pay for their lack of care) and which are bogus. I would say upfront the majority of claims are legitimate, and they represent about 20% of the moves we book. 75% of the moves we did last year had no claim forms requested, and 5% of the claims were denied for various reasons. Unless someone is truly interested, I won't go into why because I don't think that's the point of the site.

Again, the issue of settling claims goes back to the legitimacy of the moving company one contracts with. You're not going to get claim settlements with scam moving companies, because moving you and your goods is not the purpose of their business - robbing consumers to the best of their ability IS the reason they're in the moving business. Whether 1070 fixes that situation is up in the air; I'm still waiting for CA companies to get busted under AB845.

IMP

Postby IMP » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:56 am

To Unknown Estimator:

While I do not wish to argue, I must point out some inconsistencies or inaccuracies in what you are saying so that the casual reader can take everything into consideration.

#1 - you are not a CMC (Certified Moving Consultant) WITH AMSA (The American Moving And Storage Association.) You obtained that accreditation THROUGH the AMSA. You studied, took and passed the exam, and continue to maintain the designation through continuing education credits. When you use the term "WITH" - and you did it twice - it seems as if you work for AMSA.

#2 - You said:
There are many types of moves; the moves mentioned on this site are moves called commercial COD moves.

These moves are household C.O.D. moves - not commercial. Commercial moving refers to either freight or office/industrial relocation.

#3 - You said:
many of the major van lines concentrate their fleet on government moves, military moves, office/industrial moves and national account moves - something all the companies on this site have no idea about or can't service

I beg to differ. Those moving professionals who volunteer on this site are well versed in many different types of moves, have all kinds of ideas about, and service them regularly. NOW - if you are saying that the scam companies who are MENTIONED on this site may not be adept at them, well, I cannot speak for any of them as I've never so much as met one of them, thank goodness.

#4 - You said:
The majority of these types of moves are booked at nearly full tariff rates hence an enourmous amount of profit.

Flat wrong! Sorry - can't stand by and let people think that if their employer is paying for their move, most especially if their employer is the military or the government, that they are paying ridiculously high sums of money for the same move that they might have had to pay for themselves if that new job didn't come with the perks of a moving company.

Again - don't mean to argue, but MUST point out inacuracies to maintain the integrity and validity of this board.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:11 am

Thanks, IMP, for being vigilant about pointing out inaccuracies. Another statement that I wasn't sure about is this:
Unknown Estimator wrote:Nearly 90% of initial claims are false.

That doesn't agree with what I've heard from other sources. Also, in my limited knowledge COD means "collect on delivery" not "charge on delivery."

To Tyrone: these are names of companies that people posting on this board have asked about over the past several months. I always try to get the maximum amount of possibly useful information out of people in the moving industry who come on the board out of nowhere by focusing them on specific questions rather than just letting them ramble on. It doesn't mean that I would trust anything that was said in response unless there was confirmation from other sources.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:17 am

Thank you, Jim for your comments. I agree with your statistics a lot more, I just can't believe that anyone would say that 90% of shipper's claims are bogus. Not that many people are THAT greedy to try to skim some money from the movers!

BTW- I am not saying that all movers will deny claims initially, but I have heard from reliable sources that it is a common practice, even at some major van lines' agents, and in other industries.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:56 am

MM - it's not hard for someone in the industry to actually believe 90% of claims are bogus; in my office it's only the bogus claims everyone in the office remembers - and those are the ones people (consumers and movers alike) should be outraged about, because the industry uses these cases as part of the justification for blocking reforms, thereby hurting consumers and movers alike.

I should also mention that many claims (off-hand I'd say one-third) get settled with $0 paid to the shipper; I have a repair guy on contract who can generally repair a lot of damage caused by a mover to the delight or at least satisfaction of the mover - scratches, tears and scuffs - that sort of thing. What I've seen this individual do in some cases is nothing short of a miracle.

The other 2/3 are settled based on the investigation done, although in some cases, some claims are denied because there was no way to prove the mover caused the damage, although there is no question that damage exists; the issue for the investigator is whether the damage was pre-existing. Again, I won't go into specific details, only to say that it is these cases that are particularly difficult to fathom for consumers, and why moving companies earn the reputation they do in not paying out claims.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:34 pm

Thank you, Jim, I feel more satisfied.

Now, back to the last topic, about Jay's Ace.... Jay, which one did you use?

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:49 pm

Thanks for the clarification, D.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

jaysoffian

Postby jaysoffian » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:49 pm

Diane wrote:Jay, did you use a different branch of Ace Relocation Systems, one based in California rather than in Jessup, MD? If so, it would be helpful if you could post its location so we can keep things straight.

I ask because I think I remember that there was an Ace Worldwide located in Huntington Beach, CA, that didn't have very good comments about it. That company might not be related to the one owned by the Lammers family, however.

http://www.acerelocation.com/

I worked with the San Jose office.

j.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:48 pm

Hello Diane,

First, thank you IMP for correcting my english; I need to work on this. 90% is way off, I agree. I just wanted to point out that there are alot of fraudulent claims.

Military moves, at least through our system are all full service and very expensive. But you are right, not all are at nearly full tariff, but some are.

As for California Companies; I can't reccomend anyone as it seems it's against web-site policy here but here are some facts...

Tri-valley Bekins is huge; they have an over 100,000 square foot warehouse with about 50 loading docks off of Trimble road and Montague Expressway. Chipman is also very large and has similar size warehouse in Alameda. Last I saw from head on competition last week (assuming their still doing this) North American was providing the most aggressive discounts ~ 71%; United was at about ~62%; Atlas and Stevens were up there too ~65-68%+ to the east coast. Delivery spreads will vary depending on your move size. My suggestion is to avoid moving at the end of June, July, August as that is the prime pricing period for most van lines and the discount will be less. I don't know what Wheaton or Allied is discounting. Most of the companies you listed before are extremely large companies. The prices you get will all be from the same pricing system varying by discount for the most part. United and North American are the largest van lines from my understanding. Most United estimators use a palm pilot linked to an infrared printer to estimate; most others use a machine called the Techmate which fits in your hand with a thermal printer for estimating. Most estimators will come in a suit and tie to your home. I use a touch screen laptop and small printer. Make sure you let the estimators know of destination accessibility to avoid a surprise shuttle fee for a smaller truck if this is needed.

Good Luck.

peterwyborn

Postby peterwyborn » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:17 pm

“After using Ace Relocation to move our 4000 square foot house in the San Diego area they lost my $300 ladder” They told me they would replace it and asked me to go to the store where I got it to find out how much it would cost to replace the ladder. After telling them the price of $262 plus tax they offered me a $28.00 settlement” WTF#@$#@$#$#

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:20 pm

You must have got the standard, 60 cents per pound coverage instead of getting full value replacement coverage.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:37 pm

Was this a local move? You might need to go over the head of the claims person and ask for the General Manager. Sometimes an over zealous claims person will try to go by the book, but management will sometimes over ride if it is a case of a missing item, that should be accounted for on a local move.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

kevinle

Do not get work done by Ace!!!

Postby kevinle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:27 pm

“Ace Relocation lost my stuff and offered me 10% replacement cost – Warning do not use them!!!”

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:52 am

Before you tell people not to use Ace, you should explain why they are only offering 10% replacement. Obviously you had less than full value replacement, and if you did you must have had a deductible around the $500 area.

Consumers should know that if you are going to pay to have full replacement value, spend the extra money for the zero deductible. Unless things have changed since I handled claims, the average claim is less than $500.

I have seen a disturbing trend lately, where shippers have actually told the crews it doesn't matter how they pack a certain item, because they are going to file a claim on it anyway. Naturally we make notes in cases like that.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:23 am

I call shenanigans on these last two complaints. They're both very similar and general (and odd) complaints written in quotes, digging up a 7 year old thread when there are more recent discussions, and both are routed through overseas anonymous IPs. Someone's messing around.

Return to “Open Community”