Quote Reviw USA (DC) to France - self packing?

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
christelz170b9e

Quote Reviw USA (DC) to France - self packing?

Postby christelz170b9e » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:54 pm

Hi,

I'm preparing a move from the US to France,
I have received a couple of quotes that ranges from $2,500 to $8,900 so I'm quite lost.

I have a question:
Can you pack yourself for an international move?
Most movers want to pack "because of custom clearance" but a few seemed okay for me to pack myself.
I have read the <https://www.movingscam.com/articles/a-g ... l-shipping>. There is a mention of partial packing, but not related to the custom clearance.

Thanks,

JAHaddow

Re: Quote Reviw USA (DC) to France - self packing?

Postby JAHaddow » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:29 am

Here is the real truth. You can pack your own cartons with one important caveat. You must put the general contents of the carton on the outside of the carton so the person doing the inventory can put that on the inventory. While it is legal to pack your own cartons, if you get additional insurance there will not be any coverage if the packed items are damaged. Next is that it might have a higher chance of a customs inspection and if the contents does not match or they find illegal items in your cartons you could have serious issues. Some forwarders do not allow self packed items as a company policy but it is not mandated by customs in most countries. Note: there may be a few countries that do not allow self packed cartons.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

Return to “International Moves”