final decision between Allied and Atlas agents in NYC- ???

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
renee

Re: final decision between Allied and Atlas agents in NYC- ?

Postby renee » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:22 pm

Diane,

No A-1 said they use atlas for the move to NC it is around 675 miles. Neither one gave me a binding estimate but both came in around the same weight, so if my weight is a little over or under I would pay the difference. I'm also getting an estimate from Seamens, which charges by the cu.ft which I know based on all I've read is a no no, but they said they would give me a binding estimate and that they use their own trucks.
I would be interested to hear if anyone used seamens for long distant moves over 500 miles.
Thanks
renee

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:43 pm

As far as I know, we have no posts by anyone who used Seamens for a non-local move.

Having a binding estimate is a big plus, but I really don't like this quoting by cubic feet. Can you get binding estimates from the other two companies, and if not, why not? Did they say?

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:44 pm

Renee,

This is just my two cents but I wouldn't let a moving company who gives me an interstate moving estimate based on cubic feet near any of my belongings. Who's going to re-measure your shipment if you think that they are off? (Hint: nobody)

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

renee

Postby renee » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:35 pm

Tim,
I understand what you are saying, but I have one question. Is it that you would not use a company measuring by cu ft at all or only on interstate moves. And what is the difference between a move over 500 miles and one under 500 miles if both are going across states. Seamens did say that they would be using their trucks to drive down to N.C>
renee

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:38 pm

Renee,

Many local movers base estimates differently such as by cubic feet, or by the hour. This practice may be acceptable for short intrastate moves (and there are some zones that cross state lines but are not considered to be interstate moves) but for long distance interstate moves you should absolutely be getting estimates that are based on weight.

I actually talked to a mover the other day that gave a long distance interstate move based on volume. When I asked what tariff he used he told me "the 400 one". Assuming that he meant the 400N tariff I explained to him that there was no clause in the tariff to quote based on volume. When I pressed him on the issue of what tariff he was using he quicly became rude and refused to talk to me. It would have been amusing if he wasn't in the middle of scamming a consumer.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

renee

Postby renee » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:25 am

Tim,

Thanks for all the information. This web site has been very helpful and I think I will wind up using A-1 First class which using Atlas for their interstate moves. Though I don't understand all the rules and regulations and the 400n tariff laws, with everything I've read its they are probably my best bet. I did not get an GTNE estimate because it seems when they do that they inflate the weight so much to protect themselves that I don't know if it is necessary, but I will ask about it before I sign. I also notice that the big companies ask for a deposit is that standard?
renee

Return to “Open Community”