NY to PA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Sophie

Re: NY to PA

Postby Sophie » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:47 am

The link from safersys I posted says they are licensed for interstate moves.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:55 am

We need to get a reading from Music Mom or Tim on this since they are the experts, but my understanding from that post by MM is that they are not licensed.

Sophie

Postby Sophie » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:13 pm

I called Shleppers back to talk to their management about the confusion. They claim to have had some issues with the DOT regarding their DOT # & MC #. Shleppers is listed under the DOT # on safersys as 912531 which authorizes them to do interstate moves. Shleppers management says they have been doing interstate moves for some 20 years and are licensed and suggested that I call the DOT information number if I want confirmation since safersys seems to be acting up.

I have tried calling but haven't been able to get anyone on the phone at the DOT. I'm a little confused because they claimed to have had the same DOT # for many years and they seemed aware of the issue and frustrated with the DOT. I'm tempted to believe them. What's more, the listing under safersys.org does list shleppers as authorized to do interstate moves....I'm now infinitely confused.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:39 pm

That DOT license number is showing as "Applying". That's not a dealbreaker in itself as they should still be able to perform moving services unless the license is denied for some reason. What I find troubling is that I can't find a MC license for Shleppers anywhere. In order to legally perform interstate household goods moving services the company also needs a MC (Motor Carrier) license from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration with at least Common Authority or Contract Authority. I'd go back and ask them for their MC license number as well and we can research that as well.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Sophie

Postby Sophie » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:47 pm

I did ask them for their MC# and they gave me the 221016 as well as the DOT #10138. They insist that these are their numbers & the DOT has been repeatedly messing them up. That's when they suggested that I call the DOT for confirmation cause they haven't been able to sort it out with them.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:05 pm

Sophie,

That MC License number does look okay although it was revoked from 11/3/2003 until 3/25/2004. It looks like the company name is actually LBB Van Lines. Have they mentioned that to you?

I also should mention that I agree with Michael's post earlier. For any interstate move you should be getting quotes based on weight, not by the hour or by cubic feet or anything else.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Sophie

Postby Sophie » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:13 pm

Thanks Tim. They did mention that to me. They explained what LLB stands for...I can't remember exactly but it has something to do with the founder of their company...Lois something.

They are quoting based on cubic feet, which I realize is not ideal. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding anyone that will give me a GNTE at all. They are one of the few movers that is willing to do that (maxing me at about $800 & they tried to get me to move two days earlier to get a cheaper rate since the last week in August is the busiest). Everyone else will only quote me an hourly rate which always makes me uneasy cause it usually makes for a slow move (when it's by the hour, movers get lethargic) and then forces me to pay for traffic time.

Unfortunately, some of the other movers suggested are not returning my phone calls. The only quotes I have for a GNTE is Flatbush at $1300. Moving Man is charging me $1550 (which is around what I paid to move from DC to NYC). Oz is charging $120/hour. All Star won't call me back.

I did have a couple of other quotes for anywhere from 600 to 800 but I ruled them out based on some of the information on this board. Based on these quotes, what do you think?

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:20 pm

I would say that if Flatbush and Moving Man are quoting you $1300-$1550 then $800 is unrealistic. That's $500 less than the next lowest estimate that you've mentioned and almost half price of Moving Man! I would cross Shleppers or LLB or whoever they are this week off of your list. There are just too many red flags going off with them. The more I hear about them the more familiar the story sounds.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Return to “Open Community”