Pack and Ship America also Sterling Van Lines

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
kim

Pack and Ship America also Sterling Van Lines

Postby kim » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:51 am

Does anyone know anything about either of these moving companies? I'm looking to move from Calif. to NYC.

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Pack and Ship America also Sterling Van Lines

Postby twalker » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:09 am

Kim,

Can you provide us with anything more than just the company names? Any of the following information will help us (the more the better):

Addresses, phone numbers, web site, email addresses, and especially helpful are DOT and/or MC license numbers (they are required to provide you with thier license information).

Thanks!

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

kim

Postby kim » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:17 am

Here is the info on Sterling Van Lines. www.sterlingvanlines.com with ICC MC 290939. They require 25% deposit to book the date (it is non-refundable). Everywhere on your website says that this is not good. Also, they go by dimensional weight....is this cubic feet? They say they are not charging me by actual weight . T hey have put that in writing. They seem really nice, but I am unsure about the deposit and the dimensional weight issue. Also, they wanted to pick me up without me having returned a signed Order of Service, etc. or the deposit. So, who knows what would have or not been on the bill of lading? I just don't know what to do other than sell all my stuff and ship it FEdEX! I only have about two weeks left before Ihave to move. I really need some advice. I received a quote from another company that is binding/total not to exceed but the weight estimate is way under what I think the actual weight is. I know that the additional services can get bumped up in this kind of estimate, but how about the weight. Also, on the Sterling estimate they do list a weight which I think is going to be under the actual,but like I said they say they won't weigh it. What should I do? The binding/total not to exceed estimate is from Peeters Transportation an agent for Atlas and uses V. Santini on the other end in NYC. You recommended Alexander's to us and Rossiter. Alexanders would not come out and give us an estimate and we called Rossiter and left a message but didn't hear back. We are in a real time crunch right now. We CANNOT afford to be charged for more services at the other end. We have been totally upfront with our estimate. Informing all movers of stairs, elevators, possible long carries, shuttles and that we think they are underestimating our weight. Two other carriers, Mayflower and Wheaton gave us estimates of $3800. Please advise. Thanks so much.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:00 pm

I'm confused. On their own website, under "Detecting Scam Movers," they say this, "DOES THE MOVER DEMAND A DEPOSIT OR ASK FOR HALF THE MONEY UP FRONT? Standard movers do not demand half of the money up front. Their service speaks for itself. Unless you require a very specific day or time it is highly unusual for a standard mover to need a deposit."

And if they don't actually weigh your shipment, how are they going to charge you? Converting cubic feet to pounds isn't legitimate. A box of barbels weighs much less than a similar-sized box of lampshades. They need to charge you by actual weight; that is, they provide a certified weight ticket showing the weight of the empty truck and then they weigh it again after it is loaded with your things. If you think they're scamming you on the weight, you have the right to a re-weigh and to be present at that re-weigh.

Go to the article on this website titled, "How to Find a Reputable Mover." Follow the guidelines carefully. You'll have less of a chance of being scammed. I should emphasize that you should not rely on BBB reports since the BBB is simply a business that charges a fee to other businesses in exchange for a satisfactory rating. Some movers operate under several names, one name under which to maintain a satisfactory BBB rating and other names under which they scam consumers. So the mover you agree to hire might be the one with the satisfactory rating and the mover that shows up on moving day might have a different name under which they carry out their scam. I should also emphasize that the moving industry is effectively unregulated. There are some weak regulations in place but they are not enforced. Once they have your belongings locked on their truck, they are allowed to steal those belongings, hold them hostage and extort money from you with impunity. Usually the local police and the DOT will decline to get involved, telling you that it is a "civil matter" and that you must go to the trouble and expense of taking the mover to court...that's after you pay their extortion rates to get your things back. If you are unable to rent a truck and move yourself, then consult the previously mentioned article and follow it carefully. good luck.

kim

Postby kim » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:13 pm

Yes, I have seen that also on their website regarding deposits, etc. I have read the article and done all of my homework. That is why I am still confused because I cannot seem to find a mover that adheres to all of the recommendations. I have posted on here also about Peeters Transportation who gave me a binding/total not to exceed estimate but did not itemize everything to be taken, instead only writing PBO in the area in which things are itemized. How then do I or the mover verify what has been agreed upon to move?

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:28 pm

Yes, it's a confusing business. I think what I'd do is ask Peeters Transportation to rewrite the estimate and include the itemized list you've given them plus how they're charging you, total binding not to exceed. Let them know that you're not comfortable with the way the estimate is now written. Did they give you their estimate by coming to your house and surveying what is to be moved? That's a must. Do they satisfy all of the other guidelines given in the article here?

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:37 pm

I just noticed in checking Peeters Transportation that their authority status is inactive. It was involuntarily revoked in 1997. I would eliminate them from your list.

kim

Postby kim » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:30 pm

Hi, thanks for your help. What is authority status? Yes, they did come to our home and take an itemized list, they just didn't transfer the info over to our order fo service.

Josh

Postby Josh » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:45 pm

Kim,

Advice for the future, keep all comments on one thread. Read your other's and I have replied. This way we can keep all of your info together, and not repeat answering the same questions.

Most of the time I do not remember the names that post, and just reply to the questions being asked.

Not having authority status means they cannot legally haul a shipment. In other words, they will either haul it illegally or broker it out to someone.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:54 pm

They don't have authority to broker your move to someone else either so they would do that illegally too. I would eliminate them as a possibility. Has anyone else given you an estimate?

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:46 am

There are (at least) 2 companies names Sterling. At least 1 of them is blacklisted.

Return to “Open Community”