Paul Arpin - NJ to NC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Paul Arpin - NJ to NC

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:24 am

We are moving end of July from NJ to coastal NC. We received an estimate from Paul Arpin Movers. Website www.arpin.com. We had received a recommendation from a friend for Booth Movering, Limited in Carlstadt, NJ. Booth does local moves, and is the agent for Arpin. The estimator spent over one hour at our home and looked at everything. He input his data into his palm pilot. The estimate was for 8400 lbs, a few packing materials, (forgot to inform them of 13 stairs in new residence), and $35000 of insurance with $250 deductible. Estimate was for $3400 (or thereabouts), using the 400N tariff with a 62 percent discount. We are packing ourselves. Their mileage estimate was about 120 miles off, though. DOT No. 049922. Questions: Is the "discount" that the estimate was based upon going to be the same percentage discount if we decide to use them? Does anyone know anything about Paul Arpin? This is our first interstate move and we are so scared of doing something wrong. They were extrememly professional. We have called 3x with questions and they have answered them all. Thus far, they have done everything that they were supposed to do according to this Board and Site. Any suggestions? Any infor that can be given is appreciated.

Josh

Re: Paul Arpin - NJ to NC

Postby Josh » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:43 pm

Guest,

It does sound pretty legit to me. I have not researched the company yet, but this will clear some more of your questions.

Ask the sales rep if the discount levels change depend on the time of the month. The company I work for is not doing it this year, but has done it in the past. I would assume it should be the same especially if you told him it would be at the end of July.

With the 400N tariff, there is no charge for stairs, so don't worry about that. You should contact a neighbor or realtor down there to find out if your street is accessible for a tractor trailer. This way you will have an idea if a shuttle is needed.

One last thing, with my company, I take the estimated weight and multiply by $5/lb to determine their valuation. With your weight it would equal $42,000 worth of coverage, which I would recommend $50,000 worth of coverage. You might want to ask your sales rep how he came up with $35,000. It used to be $4/lb for us, and maybe that is still true for his company.

Hope this helps.

Steph

Postby Steph » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:45 am

I am a little concerned that no one seems to know of this company. From the information that I have obtained from Safersys.org they seem to be a large company with many trucks and drivers. Their website and the rep said that they are the official movers of the PGA and recently the NFL, and other organizations. This could all mean nothing, I do not know. Again, any input is greatly appreciated.

Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:06 am

Steph,

It isn't that no one has heard of them, the fact is there are only a few of us that do the research and post for everyone. As soon as I have some time, I will let you know what I find out.

I can tell you that Paul Arpin is a major van line, and yes, they are the official mover of the NFL. PGA, I am not sure but probably.

Have patience and we will definitley help you. Do they have an agency name or just Paul Arpin Movers? What is their DOT#, address, and phone #? This will help us.

Talk to you soon.

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:53 am

Give me some time on the Paul Arpin issue. I'll have some resolution for you by this evening. There are many branches of Paul Arpin Van Lines Inc and then there are companies with Arpin Paul in the name that say they are official NFL movers and have unsatisfactory record with the BBB. Let me do some further checking. This one's going to take a while.

Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:25 am

Rebel says this evening, but he actaully means 3 in the morning. I am surprised to see you on at lunch time!

Thanks for your help with this one.

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:02 pm

So far it looks like this is your agent:

Booth Movers, LTD
725 Dell Road
Carlstadt, NJ 07072
201-896-8867
DOT# 438165 MC# 238625
Common and only authority revoked 2/11/00
Not reinstated until 5/1/01
Some past insurance policy cancellations with the last being on 5/25/01

If you can confirm this is the company you're looking to deal with that would be great...if not I'll keep looking.

Stephanie

Postby Stephanie » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:45 pm

Yes, Rebel. That is the company. That information sounds a little disconcerting. I really appreciate your help. Everything that I have read on here has been invaluable. I have even educated and referred people here. Again, thank you.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:02 pm

Stephanie,

Where in NC are you moving too? I dont think Paul Arpin has an agent on the east coast side of NC. Therefore you run the chance of him hiring help off the side of the street if he can find it.

More importantly, I would be concerned with a companying offering you less money for valuation, then the other majors out there. Most companies, like Josh mentioned, base your Valuation on $5.00/lb. A company offerring less, is actually under valuing your goods, in my opinion.

As far as the "Official Mover" of the NFL or PGA, its a bought title, thats all. I know more companies that do moves for NFL or NBA teams, then the actually movers, that claim to be the official mover. So that really isnt anything to shout about.

Arpin is a smaller major, and they have some great agents. They use to have one of the highest rated customer service programs in the countrys in the early 90's, but I havent heard to much about them good or negative.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Stephanie

Postby Stephanie » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:51 am

I am moving to Emerald Isle in Carteret County. (Yes, the beach beckoned). In any event, I also received an estimate from Allied. This estimate came in 2000 lbs higher. The cost was not too much different though, they used a 64 percent discount. They used the $5 per lb valuation for the insurance. Our agent is Jabbour and Randolph in East Hanover, NJ. When I pulled up the DOT for Allied on Safersys.org, Allied had to be bonded. I remember one of the posts said never go with a company that needs to be bonded, because that means that they are brokers. I know that Allied is a Major, and thus far, the agent has been very helpful, answers all of our questions, and has done everything right according to this site. Also, I called the agent for Paul Arpin about the big difference in weight. He said that he can come back out and look at the table of measures for both estimates, and see where the difference is. This concerns me a little. This is getting all so confusing.

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:09 am

Michael,
I think you would do a better job of explaining why a major is bonded. I'm not really sure of the specifics. Thanks for your help.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:13 pm

Stephanie,

Speaking of Emarald Island, thats just where I came back from about an hour ago. So lets see what I need to answer.

Bonded. As far as I know, a company being bonded and fully insured protects you from an employee sueing you for getting hurt on your property, or if they damage your home, their insurance takes care of it. The other bonded that I believe someone mentioned in another post, is a totally different thing, I do believe. So in respect to your move, with Arpin or Allied, your fine. Neither Allied or Arpin are brokers.

Now, since I have traveled up and down Emerald Island, going to putt-putt this weekend, I would highly suggest you get a quote for a shuttle also. Some of those homes are not the easiest places to get into. As far as Allied being 200 pounds higher, what do the inventories tell you? First thing to look at is their total box count? How many boxes for each. Second, look at the inventory of the hhg's. 2000 pounds is a room and a half.

What type of price guarantee did ither of them give you? And we are here to help you understand, so ask away!
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Stephanie

Postby Stephanie » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:05 am

Michael:
Its a small world isn't it? Actually, I do not think that they will need a shuttle, we are on the intercoastal side of the island, on a cul-de-sac, the house is on a corner which is on the main road of E.I. They should easily be able to get the truck in.

What was interesting about the two (there will be a third because, North American is at the house now with my husband), is that Arpin came out lower in lbs as I stated earlier, and Allied came in with two prices. The first was an estimate and the second was called a price guarantee. The estimate actually came out $200 or so higher than the Guaranteed price. The estimate was based on 4 percent fuel charge and 400 N tariff. The "guaranteed" price used a 2 percent fuel charge (which I know we have to wait until next monday to find out what it actually will be), and used instead of the tariff something called T.P.G. There was also a service managers fee. I am going to call Jabbour and Randalph (united agent), today to find out more information.

I will outline all three for everyone's input and opinion.

Stephanie

Josh

Postby Josh » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:14 am

Stephanie,

Allied does give a TPG which I believe stands for total price guarantee. I also think they have a charge for an estimate like that. I have never worked for them, but compete against them often.

How was their weight compared to Arpin's?

Stephanie

Postby Stephanie » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:29 am

Well, here's the kicker. Just confuses me more and more. Arpin came in about 8900 lbs. United (I keep calling them Allied---oops), came in about 10,500 lbs. and North American came in at a whopping 15,500 lbs! I now really have to look at everything and see where the discrepancy lies.

In addition, North American listed a fuel surcharge of 7 percent. North American did not give us a rights and responsibilities handbook. I also have to call for the DOT because the estimator did not have it on her. The agent is A. Santini in Roseland, NJ. They came in at the 15,500 lbs, which of course shot up the insurance cost. She also said that with North American, they have an agreement that if its over "x" miles, North American does it. However, becuase it is so busy, they may actually be doing the moving themselves.

I think the problem in my case is that there is not a lot of furniture, in fact, we are leaving our whole dining room set. No washer, no dryer, no fridge. But we have two kids with tons of toys. In addition, there are a lot of clothes. I have gotten rid of a lot, but there still is a lot more to go. Much of the toys are in plastic (rubbermaid) boxes. They may have a hard time estimating those. I am shocked at the discrepancies. Has anyone else had such discrepancies in lbs.

Stephanie

Return to “Open Community”