Binding Contract Question

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Binding Contract Question

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:48 am

I'm sure this answer is somewhere in these posts, but there's so much info on this board, I'm not sure where to start!

I'm scheduled for a move in two weeks with Continental Van Lines (Atlas) and they've given me a binding estimate of about $4200 for a move from Tacoma, WA to Galveston, TX (approximately 2400 miles), with an estimated weight of 5800#. I have a two bedroom house and am single, so I don't have a lot of things to move (IMO), so this weight seems high to me. Once they arrive with my shipment and show the weights of the items, if it is considerably lower than the estimated weight, am I entitled to the difference? The company tells me yes, that they "request" this from the parent company (Atlas) and I should have no problem getting the difference.

After seeing all the horror stories on this website, I'm having a hard time believing it. What has been your experience in getting a refund on a binding contract?

Thanks in advance!

Allied not Atlas

Re: Binding Contract Question

Postby Allied not Atlas » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:02 am

Continental Van Lines is not an agent for Atlas. They are not listed on the agent website, but do show up as an Allied agent. They are and have been an Allied agent for years. Are they issuing you a TPG Price (Total Price Guarantee) quote? If so this is a fixed price with no refund at the end. Ask for a Not to Exceed Price which will be adjusted down if the weight is less.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:33 pm

My mistake, they are an agent for Allied, not Atlas. And my paperwork does specify Total Guaranteed Price. So I guess that means they're not being honest with me. That's nice to know :evil:

Thanks for the info!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:45 pm

If you're going to be looking for quotes from other van lines, here is a thread that might interest you - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2231

The person who started the thread considered a lot of Seattle-area movers and if you click on her name you can see her other posts, which might give you some ideas and/or save you some time.

In my (inexpert) opinion, your weight estimate does seem a little on the high side.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:01 pm

Guest,

Actually your weight is about right for a 2 bedroom house or apt. A typical one bedroom runs 3000-3500. A 2 bedroom runs 5000-6000. So I think your OK there.

My big issue and you mentioned it, is he/she lied to you about getting a refund. If they priced your quote using their TPG, then NO< NO< NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you will not be getting a refund if your weight should be less. I am sure if you would not have mentioned a refund, he would have eventually told you how they do not weight their trucks.

I have learned a few things this week from a few ex Allied employess that work for us, well with me, excuse me, lol. They did confirm that they do not weigh their trucks on the TPG. BUTTTTTTTTT, if the driver feels the weight is 10% over what was quoted, he can and WILLLLLL protest. If the driver is wrong in his protest, he is fined a whopping $50.00.

Also keep in mind if this Allied agent changes to a not to exceed, his rates are based on the current tariff, 400 N. Not the TPG tariff that he quoted you on for a BINDING price.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:41 am

Micheal & Diane,

Thank you both for your information. I've talked to the agent, who still assures me that they will honor a refund for any weight less than the estimated, regardless how the binding contract is "labeled". His words to me were "well, if it makes you feel better, I will write on the contract that you are entitled to a refund if the weight is less." That set me on edge, but I'm looking at a move date of ten days away now and it's a bit late to start over with new estimates and stressing about another company telling me half truths.

Micheal, can you tell me what you mean by the price changing if the contract is changed to a NTE? If the NTE is based on weight also, why would there be a price change? I thought I had done a lot of research on all this, and I keep getting new info, and it's so overwhelming.

Thanks again for any help.

TPG vs 400 N

Postby TPG vs 400 N » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:42 am

It should be very easy to convert a TPG price to a 400N. The TPG tarrif is a wholesale pricing system. Allied has a set price for the moving costs and the booking agent(in your case Continental) sets their own "Service Management Fee" (SMF) and packing rates. In your case, Continental simply should adjust their SMF to mirror the 400 N cost. They should offer you the same NTE price as the TPG price.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:11 am

guest,

Not to exceed means if your weight is less your cost will reflect the lesser weight. The TPG will not do that. I would highly suggest you tell him to write up a new quote with the wording of Not to Exceed. I would not have him write it on the TPG order for service.

One note, please keep in mind that a not to exceed takes your actual weight and services and compare them to the not to exceed, which ever is less is what you pay.

Best of luck,
Michael

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:28 pm

Once again, thank you all for your help. It's so nice to get straight, consistent answers. I will certainly be asking for the wording to read Not To Exceed.

One more quick question; everything I've read has said that you pay once your load has arrived at destination. Continental wants my Visa number before they load at origin. I guess I have no problem with this, because I can dispute the charges if something major happens; if they lose my whole load or whatever. But is this "normal"?

You guys are great; thanks so much for the input :)

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:47 pm

Guest,

Perfectly normal. What is generall done is the booking agent will have you sign a Credit Card Authorization form. This will allow them to go onto your card and place the amount of the move onto your card. Sometimes this is done two days before your loaded. Sometimes on locals and intrastates the booking company may wait until the move is complete to put the actual charges on (depends on your type of contract).

But you will sign in the amount authorized for them to charge your card. If any additional charges were necessary, they should be giving you optoions as to how you wish to take care of the charges and not be placing any additional cost onto your card.

Best of luck,
Michael

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:42 pm

Micheal,

That's good news; I really appreciate all your help. Just curious, are you a professional mover? If so, how about you come to WA state and move me? Haha :lol:

Thanks for all your help!

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:23 pm

I am, but you missed me by 11 years when I worked in Kent, lol.

Best of luck,
Michael

Return to “Open Community”