BOSTON : Tobin & Sons (agent for: Bekins) OR Benny's

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
lawgal

BOSTON : Tobin & Sons (agent for: Bekins) OR Benny's

Postby lawgal » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:49 pm

I am trying to decide between

Tobin & Sons (A Bekings agent came to my house)

or

Benny's Moving & Storage

or

Mayflower (boston)

anyone have feedback?

Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: BOSTON : Tobin & Sons (agent for: Bekins) OR Benn

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:59 pm

I think it's safe to say you can rule out Benny's, they have had several complaints ehre. DO a search for them with the name in quotes. They are either the same as or sharing an ofice with infamous Globe Van Lines (Globe's website is registered to Benny's, and a customer said her Caller ID showed Beeny's when she was a Globe customer). Neither of these companies is any good.

Be sure to post the estiamtes from the two other companies. Can you ask them their company's DOT numbers (If they have their own, they might be only using the Bekin's or Mayflower's authority)

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:06 pm

We used Tobin & Sons / Bekins for a long distance move last summer. NEVER would I EVER recommend Bekins to anyone.

Tobin & Sons was adequate. Slow loading, started the day with 1 or 2 movers but more showed up later. For some strange reason they didn't use dollies but carried everything themselves LOL. They were also NOT HELPFUL at all regarding problems with Bekins on the delivery end. (we had no contact information for anyone on this end of the move)

Our items were loaded onto a rented truck, unloaded at their building, reloaded onto a Bekins truck. Wasn't crazy about our stuff being moved around so much, we didn't find out until the day of the move though so...

Bekins... 2 guys and 1 child came with the truck to unload. The driver apparently couldn't find anyone to help him unload the truck (big semi!) so stopped and picked up a day laborer off the street. (literally) Well the 'helper' didn't want to carry anything and kept asking me to help. Dh had a fit halfway through, we're paying you to move our things type thing. (didn't do any good btw he refused to carry things and we were sick of them!!)

Bekins damaged numerous items... turned my grandmother's china to dust, broke much of my glassware, broke a heavy double bookcase, broke a cupboard, broke the frame of our couch. Damaged numerous items and lost a box. Not to mention trashing the walls of my brand new house. :twisted:

After our items were unloaded we were given the bill. We had in writing that it was to be a 'not to exceed' quote. It was, so we paid. Noted all damaged items and problems before paying though in writing and made the driver sign before paying.

Imagine our surprise when we received a 'demand' letter from Bekins 2 months later. They wanted extra money because they claimed they didn't charge us properly for the weight, disregarding the 'not to exceed' agreement. I left a not so nice and very firm message for them. Basically said over my dead body would they receive a dime from us, they'd better read their paperwork and I would be happy to hash this out in court with them if they wanted to proceed. Never heard another word about the money after that :D. BTW we did file a claim, we received about $200-300 for thousands of dollars in damage :roll:.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:12 pm

Someone else is considering using Tobin and I'll refer them to your post. Where did you move to, and what was the name of the destination agent?

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:40 pm

Hi, we moved to Phoenix. We were not given a local agent to work with at our destination. Tobin & Sons was supposed to be our contact the entire way through but pretty much bailed on us once things started going downhill. Said oops, wow, that's terrible and then our contact at Tobin never took another call from us. (had our calls sent straight to voice mail and never returned calls)

It was lucky for us the driver wasn't very swift. We didn't have to pay until he unloaded, allowing us to at least write our complaints all over the paperwork. Didn't really accomplish much but at least we felt we got to do something LOL.

We're actually getting ready to move back to MA in October so are again researching movers :roll:. So far Allied has been recommended to us by a friend but we plan on getting at least 4 quotes.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:09 pm

Some of the Bekins agents are owned by a company called Bekins Moving & Storage LLC, which declared bankruptcy recently and stiffed its suppliers and employees. It has a horrible BBB report. I know that Bekins LLC owns some agencies in California, including one in San Diego, but I don't know whether it owns Tobin. Maybe one of the moving professionals who posts on this board can enlighten us. [PS The person considering Tobin decided to move herself in a rental van.]

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:40 pm

I must agree and disagree with previous posters.

I got next day service from Boston to Maryland. And the same guys who picked up dropped off...they loaded the truck in teh morning then unloaded the next morning in maryland. That does a hell of a lot for peace of mind. And it was nice to deal with the same 3 guys at each end.

However, they are not careful with my stuff. Luckily I own a lot of college type furniture that is good for a beating. They really did not wrap anything up. Even my mattress was not wrapped! Just some shrink wrap on about 1/2 of the mattress. they fractured and scratched my coffee table. I am in the middle of trying to contact my rep - I guess the putting you straight thru voicemail is an old trick for them. I want to file a claim and get some money back to replace the glass top on the table.

I was not too swift and did not write anything down ont he paperwork but my driver was a very nice guy.

I guess I Have mixed feelings about the deal. after reading all teh horror stories, I guess I am very lucky to have my stuff and have it over night same truck picked up and delivered.

But i guess its all about the VERY LOW expectations I started with (e.g. fear that they would want to hijack my stuff!!!)

I am still trying to think about what to do about my scratched coffee table....hmmmm

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:50 pm

Benny's Moving and Storage has been in business for 12 years on the east coast and has an excellent reputation. When we opened our new branch in CA we wanted to use a name that would sound more like a national company. We registered the name Globe Van Lines in CA, without knowing that a company existed in CA with that name AND a bad reputation. That is why the name came up on our phone system. As soon as we realized the problem, we stopped using that name. We have no association with the company in CA that is on the scam web sites. We are a member of the BBB and you can check our record. If you have any doubts, concerns, or questions, please contact me.
David Abotbool
Owner and GM of Benny's Moving & Storage--Boston, MA and Chatsworth, CA
800-286-9959
or email me at Dabotbool@aol.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:01 pm

That still doesn't address the complaints, Mr. Abotbool.

http://www.bosbbb.org/reports/reliabili ... 0000047611

Reading your BBB report, anyone can read that although they have all been resolved, there have been a VERY alrge number of complaints in the last three years. Considering you are such a small company that does not do as many moves as some others listed, the percentage of moves to complaints is pretty high. Look at the chart towards the bottom. Of the 532 movers in Mass, only 6 have had more than 26 complaints. At 42 complaints listed, I'm surprised Benny's is still in business! You certainly have an intimate office setting, why have you continued to allow your employees to treat customers in these ways?

And this is just based on the BBB report. Reminder that Benny's is a BBB member.

dabotbool

Postby dabotbool » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:56 pm

Hi Again,

To answer, please check the BBB report . You will notice that since JAN 2004 we had 6 complaints and they are all resolved. I am not sure why you have bad reviews about Bennys Moving but I can assure to you that we are making every effort to provide the best moving services and to resolve all customer complaints.

If you have any question please feel free to contact me.

Thank you

David

Sallymove

Postby Sallymove » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:04 am

I know this was back in 2004 when the owner of Benny's moving and storage wrote this... THEY DO NOT MAKE ANY ATTEMPT to make things right! After a month of our items not here and the 3 GRAND more that they charged its Not A GOOD COMPANY to do a interstate move with. Maya at their office has not been of any assistance. PLUS, they go by cubic feet. I just want to protect others out their so they don't have to go through what we have. Thanks.

Return to “Open Community”