moving man scam

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
vern

moving man scam

Postby vern » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:56 pm

i'm moving upstate from NYC. after conducting research on this site and others, i contacted 3 movers for estimates: Seamans, Moving Man, and All Star. Seamans gave me an hourly rate over the phone for a 250 mile move, so i immediately eliminated them. All Star actually came to my apartment to make an estimate ($1900) which seemed a bit high for a 1 bedroom apartment. Then, Moving Man came to my 1 bedroom apartment. after looking around they fashioned a $6000+ estimate!!! but, it was my lucky day, and they were giving 50% discounts, so i'd only have to pay $3000 for them to move my 1 bedroom apartment 250 miles. needless to say, i selected all star. the folks at all star seemed decent, no b.s., so i'm reasonably pleased with them so far (i'll report back after the move.) as for the other two, both of which come recommended on this site, i must say i am very disappointed.

Diane

Re: moving man scam

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:20 pm

vern,

First of all, we don't "recommend" moving companies on this website. We list names of companies that have had good reports from various people who have posted here. All Star, Moving Man, and (to a lesser extent) Seamens have all been mentioned favorably by people, some by more than one person.

I am glad that you will report back to us on All Star because that will give us one more piece of information about that company.

As for Seamens quoting you by the hour, that seems to be common around New York City. Whether it's legal or not, I don't know, but it's very common.

If Moving Man gave you a quote of $3000 after a 50% discount was applied, that does seem unreasonably high. If you can share the name of the person you spoke with there, I would like to personally call him or her to find out whether there is a legitimate explanation. You can register for this website and send me a PM about it if you want. If you can give me the name of the place you are moving to in upstate New York, that will make it easier for the person to identify your move. We don't call unreasonably high quotes a "scam," by the way. A scam is when companies give a lowball quote and then raise the price after the goods are loaded.

vern

Postby vern » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:17 pm

First, let me describe the move itself...All Star did an excellent job. They were professional, very hard working, courteous. The move was completed two days ago, and as of yet we haven't found anything that was damaged, broken or lost. It took them longer than it should have to get from Manhattan to Syracuse - they took a poor route - which meant that they didn't arrive until 9 p.m., and the unload wasn't complete until almost midnight, much to the consternation of some neighbors. Overall though, we are very pleased with All Star, and I would recommend them. Also, Nick, who we worked with in the office, was very helpful and professional.

As to my post about this 3 weeks or so ago, I don't remember the name of the Moving Man rep I spoke with, and I can't find my notes. I referred to this as a scam, as in my mind the high-ball approach is not much different than the low-ball approach...in the end the purpose is to extract money from the victim. Diane, if you or others don't share my definition, that's fine. The description of what happened is there, and readers can make up their own minds.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:28 pm

Thanks for getting back to us about All Star--I'll add that to my list of positive reviews of this company. Out of curiosity, was this a flat rate estimate that they gave you, and did they give you a paper with PROBABLE COST OF SERVICES at the top? Was your final cost actually $1900, and if not, why not?

As for Moving Man, other than your comment the only bad thing anyone has said about them on this site is that "silvia" found one of their sales reps too aggressive for her taste. We'll keep collecting reviews of them. I suppose it could be that they didn't want to do your move for some reason--lack of trucks or whatever.

vern

Postby vern » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:00 am

On the estimate they wrote in the word "guaranteed" next to estimate, also writing in that the total cost would not exceed the estimate by more than 10%. One of the unknows in the estimate was the cost of tolls, which I was responsible for. My cost actually came in lower than the estimate, as the estimate called for 4 workers at the pickup, and only 3 workers actually arrived. Part of that savings was eaten up by $52 in tolls, but they did provide receipts for the tolls (and if they had taken the faster route, the tolls would have dropped by about $50).

av guest

Postby av guest » Tue May 24, 2005 10:46 am

Sorry to ask such a mundane question but do you have a phone number or specific name for All Star? There are at least two in New York. One is All Star Moving LLC and the other is All Star Moving and Storage.

Thanks,

AV

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 24, 2005 12:07 pm

Yes - people should be sure to contact the right All Star. The website for the good All Star is www.allstarnewyork.com and its Manhattan exchange phone number is listed on that site. It is 212-254-2638. Make sure you are talking to Rich (owner), Nick (estimator), or Chris (assistant). They also have a Brooklyn exchange phone number since their warehouse is in Brooklyn. It is 718-643-4705.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 24, 2005 12:10 pm

http://www.bbbnewyork.org/businessrepor ... x?id=23712

All Star Moving & Storage, Inc.
88 Sanford Street
Brooklyn, NY 11205
Phone Number: (718) 643-4705
Additional Phone Numbers:
(212) 254-2638 (718) 643-9080
Fax Number: (718) 643-9080