Please help with some quotes for LA to Austin move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
patkhu

Re: Please help with some quotes for LA to Austin move

Postby patkhu » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:17 pm

The Blue Chip quote came in at 7998 lbs. with an NTE price of $4121. That does NOT include the cost for a $250 valuation deductible.

Gemini was 8500 lbs. with an NTE price (I verified with the estimator that it's NTE and he will change it on the order for service) of $4812. That DOES include the cost for a $250 valuation deductible.

I do not have any concerns about meeting the weight limit. I'm still not really clear why that seems to be a red flag. Would love more information.

My inclination is to go with Gemini. Both companies had very professional estimators. Both estimators showed up early. Both seemed very thorough in examining our stuff. Gemini's seemed lslightly more engaged in the whole process. He provided me with a recent BBB report on his company, and I checked it online as well. Both companies have a satifactory rating.

Based on recommendations here I will look into another North American agent or see if I can't get someone from another major to come out.

Not feeling so great about my options now.

L.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:28 pm

L.

Lets not scare you here. You are doing fine and your quotes are fine. No issues there. And as long as your not worried about going under 6000 pounds your good to go there too.

What are the discounts your getting from the two companies thus far. The price difference of $691.00 seems about right for the weight difference and no valuation thus far. So if everything were apple to apple, their both in the ball park of one another.

Get one more quote if you can, dont rack your brain getting 5-6 quotes.

Thus far it seems your more impressed with Gemini which is not a bad choice at all.

And let me address your question of meeting the weight limit. It isnt a concern if you think you do have 8000-8500 pounds. Even if you have 7500-6000 your fine. The reason I am making it an issue thus far is this. The not to exceed means if your actual weight and services come in less then the binding amount, then you will be charged for the lesser of the two. Thus if Gemini is setting your shipment at a minimum of 6000 pounds and your weight for some unknown reason comes in at 5000 pounds, then your paying for 6000 pounds. Thats why i said if your comfortable with your weights, then you should be ok. If you think you will be downsizing before the actual move takes place, then I would not want to be held to a minimum of 6000.

Do you understand??

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

patkhu

Postby patkhu » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:55 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your comments. I do get what you're saying about the poundage. At this point I think I would only get the estimate to see if someone else comes in with similar weight. P.S. there's a vent at the end you are welcome to ignore.

Quick question about the extra valuation over the .60/pound. Since we are self-packing, it seems the extra valuation is worthless, since if stuff breaks in the boxes we packed b/c it gets jostled there's no payout. Am I correct? Sounds like we only get a payout if the boxes are obviously damaged (i.e. waterlogged, crushed beyond recognition).

I checked the discounts on both. Blue Chip straight up says 63%. On Gemini's he outlined the discount $$$ amount but didn't give the percentage. I calculated and it's also 63%.

My distress at the moment comes from a friend of a friend who used Gemini to move her to NYC. I just learned this 20 mins. ago. I don't know her well, but I know she's a very demanding person. Her comment is that they weren't bad, they weren't great, and her stuff arrived on time and intact. "That's the best I could hope for" she said.

VENT starts here:
I honestly have to say that moving all your stuff does seem like a job to leave to professionals, but the mere existence of this board indicates that you pretty much can't trust anyone beyond a shadow of a doubt to do it well, on budget, and on time, unless you do it yourself. With 8000 lbs. of stuff (!) I just don't think I can do it myself. I feel that if this goes wrong, then it will be my fault for making a bad choice, rather than the fault of the person or company who screws it up, simply because there's virtually no way to hold them accountable. It's a worst case scenario of caveat emptor.

Thanks,
L.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:24 pm

Your vent is understood by many on this site. Like any big consumer purchase, you do have to do due diligence and research to select the company. You have to gather all the facts and make a leap of faith. In your case, BOTH Blue Chip and Gemini are reputable companies. I would see which one can agree to the dates you are requesting, and make a decision with who you feel most comfortable with. It sounds like Gemini is looking better to you. And that friend of a friend didn't have horrible things to say, and she's tough to please.

On the valuation, you are correct in any boxes you pack would not be eligible for damage claims. However, if anything was missing, the valuation applies. SO, if your book collection is pricey, you may consider it.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:32 am

L.,

You would be surprised just how much goes right in this industry compared to what goes wrong.

Its not a perfect industry, but keep in mind it is a service, not a product.

As far as the valuation goes, and I could be misreading you, but you can only select one valuation or another. You cant have .60/lb/article for the boxes you packed, and full coverage on the furniture. You also cannot select full coverage if you had .60/lb/article for a PBO, find the box damaged and decide for the full value. Its one or the other on everything.

In my opinion, and you wont know this til the day of the load, but the driver is the one that makes or breaks a move. He will be the one that will make the final outcome of your move a good one or a bad one. Your sales person can be great, your coordinator excellent, but if the driver is cranky that day, it makes all the other work the others have put into your move worthless. And I guess that could apply to anyone, but I think he is the one you interface with the most, actually handles and does the job we say they will.

You have to be flexible, understand the process and be open minded to change (should change take place).

And sometimes you get people that just arent easy to please no matter what you do or how you do. And believe me, we have all run into our fare share of those types.

Best of luck,
Michael

patkhu

Postby patkhu » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:56 pm

Just a quick update. I have decided to go with Gemini, the United agent. Checking on epinions.com I see that United doesn't have the best record, but this agent seems to check out pretty well.

I also looked into Broadway Express at the 11th hour, and while it was going to save us a fair amount of $$$ (about $1800), they don't have any trucks available for our move date.

Since he is coming back to finalize the order for service, I will ask him to drop the 6000 lb. minimum since no other agent required that.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will all actually work out.

Thanks again,
L.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:27 pm

L,

Actually I think United has the highest ratings on eopinions for major movers with the most moves appraised.
Michael

Return to “Open Community”