Follow-up: Feedback on Benny's in Boston area

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Philippe

Follow-up: Feedback on Benny's in Boston area

Postby Philippe » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:23 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am back as promised to give you some feedback about how my local move (within the Boston area) went last month. I finally selected Benny's (aka. Globe Van Lines) that had received good reviews on this web site for local moves but pretty bad ones for long-distance moves.

They had the best prices in the market by far. This aspect and the good reviews for local moves got me to decide to go with them.

Overall, it went well. I was happy with the job they did. The only minus was that they showed 1 1/2 hour late and I was starting to fear that they would reschedule for the next day (that is probably a good principle to schedules moves first thing in the morning if you can so that you avoid that kind of sweats...).

I had three guys do my move as agreed with Benny's. They were not 15-year veterans but they were good and did a fine job. I figured if you want low costs it has to come from somehwere (one of the three guys was an Irish student and another a folk from Central America - you see what kind of salaries we are talking about here...).

But since this is not a chronicle on social change (!!), I won't dwell on the salaries paid. The bottom line is that it was a good job overall and that I did not have any surprises with the bill. We packed everything and we got nothing broken. Kudos also to my wife who is an expert packer...

Guys, don't take this personally, but I hope I won't be back on movingscam for a while unless I get some messages on benny's or other questions (I'll be glad to respond of course). I hope I won't move again before a long time (2 moves in 4 months, that is more than enough).

You guys have been tremendously helpful, valuable, and also fun. You are a great community and I'm happy that movingscam.com exists.

Take care,

Philippe

Diane

Re: Follow-up: Feedback on Benny's in Boston area

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:16 pm

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the nice remarks about the website. I agree, it has become a real community. We have many people coming back for the second time now, and some who have already moved continue to post occasionally, which is just great. I remember that you compared us to a long-running soap opera at one point . . . !

Anyway, I reviewed your old posts and I saw that you moved from DC to Central Square, Cambridge, with Paxton (Atlas) and were pleased, although you commented there, too, about the workers' low salaries. Can I guess that you're a grad student in global economics at Harvard? - Well, anyway, now you've moved to the South End, where I used to live also, by the way. I guess it must be completely gentrified by now, probably with Starbucks even.

It would be great if you could tell us how much Benny's charged per hour for the three guys, and for how many hours, vs. what Gentle Giant was going to charge you. We'll keep them in mind for local moves, for sure.

Thanks again for letting us know how it turned out!

Philippe

Postby Philippe » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:24 pm

Hello Diane,

Your guess is somewhat accurate actually... I don't study economics at Harvard but I work for a nonprofit, so that may explain my bias - though I'm a management guy...

I don't have all the data you requested handy. But I will get it over the weekend and will send the info your way next week.

And by the way, I'm not a soap-opera fan in general but I love the Movingscam one... :wink:

Best,

Philippe

Philippe

Postby Philippe » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:27 am

Hello Diane and Everyone,

Here are the quotes that I got:

- Nick's (Somerville): $170 / hour (appr. time: 4 hours)
- Marathon Movers: $140 / h (appr. time: 5 to 7 hours) / $100 deposit
- Gentle Giant: between $178 and $204 / h (depending on date) + $70 for parking permit from City of Boston ($20 if you go and request it on your own): 2-hour minimum, appr. time was 3-4 hours
- Humboldt Moving: $186 / hour (4-hour minimum)
- Benny's (the one I went for eventually): $99 / hour (crew of 3; appr. time: 3 1/2 hours). Total actual time was 3 hours and 40 minutes (close) and the final bill included $8 extra of shipping supplies. Very reasonable.

In local moves, time is of the essence of course because the longer the move, the more you pay. That is why I indicated the approximate times for doing the job that I got from the moving companies when I called them. The most striking example is Marathon Movers which because of their location (Hyde Park) or some other reason (money...) told me the job would take up to 7 hours...

I hope you guys find this helpful.

Best,

Philippe

Return to “Open Community”