Looking for information about South Shore Movers in Chicago

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Looking for information about South Shore Movers in Chicago

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:54 pm

Does anybody have information about South Shore Movers in Chicago? The License Numbers are IL MC 122637, US DOT 911280, IMCA 911280 (MovingScam reports a different MC number, MC #: 394483). To my horrors I just found out that they are on the MovingScam blacklist and the BBB reports 36 complaints over the past three years...
We are moving from one apartment in Chicago to another very nearby one at the end of this month. We are packing everything in boxes ourselves with the exception of furniture. We got a quote purely based on time which sounds reasonable, but I just discovered that it said "RATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE ON THE FIRST 3 BUSINESS DAYS AND LAST 3 BUSINESS DAYS OF EACH MONTH". I tend towards cancelling immediately, but we don't have much time to find another moving company and the time slot is very restricted due to elevator time requirements in both buildings.
Any input and recommendations greatly appreciated.

MusicMom

Re: Looking for information about South Shore Movers in Chic

Postby MusicMom » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:25 pm

If you have any doubts at all, then cancel. At the very least, if you can't find another mover in such a short time, ask the same good moving companies how much they charge for day labor, and have these guys load up a rental truck that you would then drive to the new apartment and unload in the already-reserved elevator time.

Their license numbers match, the MC number listed here is the FMCSA's license number. THe IL MC nuber is Illinois's license. If you click [url=http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/pkg_carrquery.prc_authorityhistory?pv_apcant_id=306187&pv_legal_name=SOUTH^SHORE^MOVERS,^INC.&pv_pref_docket=MC394483&pv_usdot_no=911280&pv_vpath=LIVIEW]here[/url], you'll see they just got their license back last month after a more than two year hiatus (do you think they stopped moving during that time? NO! They kept their insurance going that whole time). Trust me, if they are on the Blacklist here, tha means there are documented complaints from other victims.

Try your best to find another local mover for that time slot. Get each one's license number and check them out. If they have a DOT number, go to www.safersys.org and look up their record. If they are local only, perhaps Tim or one of the moverguys here can tell you who to call to check the IL license. Ask each mover that you call about hiring a couple guys for loading, if they can't fit you in.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:29 pm

I agree with MusicMom. This isn't a company that you want to be involved with.

South Shore Movers, Inc. (Illinois MC #122637) has had 15 complaints about intrastate moves filed with the Illinois Commerce Commission over the past 36 months, of which only 2 were judged to be unfounded. According to the ICC, the 15 complaints had to do with the following issues (there can be more than 1 issue per complaint):

1 No Bill of Lading
2 Crew Productivity
13 Damage to Property
2 Insufficient equipment
2 No written estimate
2 Lowballing (bait & switch)
4 Loss of property
1 Overall move satisfaction
4 Overcharge
2 No mandatory consumers guide provide to consumer
3 Storage (charge, loss, damage, wt)
6 Violation of claims rules acknowledgement & disposition

http://www.icc.state.il.us/hg/household ... nbr=122637 - bold added.
The company did a total of 312 moves within Illinois during 2003.

For help in finding another mover, if you haven't already looked at it, I suggest that you look at this very recent thread where a number of Chicago companies are discussed in terms of how they would be for local moves - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2030

You might even send a Private Message to the person who started the thread, since she has probably completed her move by now. You have to register for this website in order to send and receive PMs.

Moving professionals knowledgeable about Chicago have advised against using either Hollander (United) or Pickens Kane (Allied). The thread that I mentioned above names several other companies that seem dubious or worse, as well as several companies that might be good to consider.

Apartment building doormen can be good sources of recommendations for local moves since they have seen a lot. As for the elevator requirements, a person in the know about Chicago has advised me that elevators can frequently be made available at odd times if $$ are passed along to the people in charge of them.

Please come back to us if we can help you further.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:55 pm

Thanks for all the input from the list I got so far, I will definitely stay clear from this company, this site has opened my eyes and I will stay on alert!
I was just checking the postings from the above thread and found the following web-site with 10 local movers in Chicagoland: http://www.123movers.com/movers/Chicago_IL/z-60601/s-local_movers/results.html
This page includes two movingscam blacklisted companies (South Shore Movers and Time to Move), and another one (EZ-Movers) is on the blacklist of movingadvocateteam.com, so three out ten are blacklisted, and both blacklists combined have a total of only four IL based moving companies!
Pretty much self-explanatory... :shock:

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:02 pm

Guest,

Where are you moving from/to???

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:22 pm

Both current and new apartment are in downtown chicago, both highrise buildings with elevator and just a few blocks apart. Unfortunatly still a move!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:06 am

Yes, we routinely tell people not to go with any mover listed on www.123movers.com or www.vanlines.com. There is an "ALERT - avoid" out regarding both websites. Unfortunately, those sites draw in a lot of people who aren't as wise as you.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:09 pm

Take Diane's suggestion and talk to the doormen of each building. These guys are whizzes at storing knowledge like this.

Shaun

Postby Shaun » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:45 am

Hi,
I don't know if you have moved already, but I would HIGHLY reccomend B&B Movers in Evanston (847-491-0395) I used them a few years ago to move from Evanston to Chicago and then back again. Because it was a local move, they charged me by the hour and the rates were very reasonable, the move was quick and nothing was broken or damaged. Now, I did pack everthing myself, so I can't speak to the packing abilities, but again it was quick, reasonable, and I was very, very happy with the service I got. When I moved from Evanston to Austin, TX a few years ago, I wish I could have used them! Unfortunately, I used Piazza Van Lines (on the Black List here, wish I had know that then, horrible exprience). Now I'm moving back to Chicago, so back to looking for a moving company. I'm leaning toward All My Sons. Good luck with your move.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:21 am

Thanks, Shaun. I did check for licensing and B&B Movers is not listed with the Illinois Commerce Commission, at least under Evanston. The phone number you gave is registered to David Moore. Movers may do a good job without being licensed, but I just think that people should go into things with their eyes open. If they ARE licensed in another city, maybe you can post their license number here.

Out of curiosity, why are you leaning toward All My Sons?

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:52 pm

Hi Diane,
I don't have a license number for B&B - all I know is that I when I moved, they showed up early, had me moved in about two hours and didn't break, drop or steal anything and it cost me about $150-200. I was so impressed, I used them a few years later when I needed to move again and I was still extrememly happy with the service and had no complaints, so I base my reccomendation purely on my own two positive experiences. I got the phone number out of the Evanston phone book I took with me when I moved to Texas (that I still have). I know the guy's office is out of his house, so maybe that was the listing you found.

I haven't heard anything negative about All My Sons and I feel like I need a "name" this time around, because as I mentioned, I used Piazza last time and they stunk. Know anything about AMS?

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:07 pm

do not use south shore movers. we had them move us in october 2004 and they damaged our couch. they sent us out a claim form to fill out and to this day i am still waiting for them to settle with me. they will not return any phone calls and they are so rude. i am in the process of sending them to small claims court to receive my money. do not hire this company they are very unproffesional. :twisted:

ssusannss

Re: Looking for information about South Shore Movers in Chicago

Postby ssusannss » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:54 pm

I wish I had known about this forum when I moved...

We used South Shore in April 2004.. They brought a truck that was not large enough. When they were done unloading, they left, and never went back to the house we were moving from. My husband and I had to move the rest of our things ourselves with a borrowed van and didn't finish until after midnight. They also damaged our bedroom set. Oh, and they charged us double what the quote was.

We made a formal complaint to the ICC, and they agreed to mediation. The mediator determined we were to get $400 refunded, but they stalled on that. The mediator had insisted that they pay us by money order or cashiers check only, and when she called them to inquire about our refund, the secretary told her that they had some 'funds issues'.

Finally got our money, and we check everyone out on the better business bureau website from now on!

Return to “Open Community”