Bekins, AMS RElocation or Sterling Van Lines

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Clare

Bekins, AMS RElocation or Sterling Van Lines

Postby Clare » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:06 pm

I am completely confused and would appreciate any help. I am moving between 1,411lbs-1775lbs, depending on the quote. I have quotes from

Cor-o-Van (agents for North American) PUC:T33039 $2046
Sterling Van Lines (the Bell,CA company) $2388
AMS Relocation (agents for Bekins) PUC:T168138 $1295
Saagan (agents for Stevens) PUC: T138691 (waiting to hear)

The Cor-o-Van quote includes a $400 stated pick up day but does not include insurance which would add $212 with no deductible. Likewise the Bekins should have $216 added for insurance. The Sterling includes insurance.

Having searched your site, Sterling seem to have a good reputation and the reports confirm that beleif. Stevens also seem to bear scrutiny as I thought Bekins did, though there are comments that say that they should not be used for storage. Bekins are the lowest in price, though this is not hte most important consideration, as we have a relocation allowance, however they are also the lowest in weight estimate, which is 1411lbs. We have a not to exceed estimateon all the quotes.

Any ideas would be great. I have read the articles and comments and done the research, but would appreciate any advice on some of these companies.

Many thanks

Clare

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Bekins, AMS RElocation or Sterling Van Lines

Postby twalker » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:09 pm

Where are you moving from/to? Thanks!

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:34 pm

Sorry about that. I am moving stuff from San Francisco to Dallas.

Thanks

Clare

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:42 pm

Something else that I forgot to ask was what the discounts each of the companies are giving you. It would probably also be helpful to know what each company is quoting you for weight. The insurance puts Cor-O-Van and Sterling right in line with each other (assuming that their weight and discounts are similar as well). I would be wary of an estimate that is $700-$1000 less than the others. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Did all of these companies come out and do visual in-home estimates?

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:18 pm

We have a good review of Sterling on this messageboard, and I have heard from moving professionals that Cor-o-Van is good although we have no reviews of it as yet.

I recall someone saying that some Bekins agents in California are part of Bekins Moving LLC, which went bankrupt recently and stiffed a number of its creditors and employees. I don't know whether your particular Bekins agent is under that ownership.

I know nothing about Saagan. However, a couple of moving professionals who post here have told me that for a long-distance move like yours, it's better to stick to one of the larger major van lines since they have a network of agents that can help out if needed. Stevens is one of the smaller majors with less than 100 agents, according to my special assistant researcher here ("Blue"). Sterling isn't a major at all, of course . . . yet it has performed well, as I said.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:18 pm

Well,
Well there is about $500 difference between Cor-o-Van and Sterling. I didn't break it down very well. I have tried to include all the information this time.

Nothe American (Cor-o-Van) quoted: 1411lbs @ $1536 (60% discount. Without the $400 for a guarrenteed pickup day) and with $212 insurance (no deductible on $20000 replacemant value) Total $1748

Bekins (AMS Relocation) quoted: 1547lbs @ $1295 (65% discount) and with $216 insurance (no deductible on $20000 replacemant value). Total: $1511

Bekins said that I had a quote for 33 items and that they would not weight the load if I kept to 33 items, so despite the fact that the quote stated 5 boxes of various sizes, I could pack 5 of the biggest boxes I could find with rocks. As long as I did not exceed 33 items I was fine. If I had 34 items then they would weigh the load and if it was in excess of the estimate I would lose the discounts increasing the cost considerably. This seemed very complicated and odd. Should I be wary or was this simply an honest helpful fellow explaining how to work the system?

Stevens (Saagan) have yet to submit a quote but estimated 1775lbs. As 2100lbs is their limit they referred me to Stirling.

All the above came to the house

Stirling gave me a quote over the phone, based on the weight estimated by Stevens. The price qas $2088 with $300 insurance (no deductible on $20000 replacemant value) I am a little concerned that they say that I do not need a written quote.

I am still waiting for the quote from Stevens, but I have been on the phone all day.

It seems from perusing your site that you need to be careful not only of the agent but also the Shipper. The advantage of Sterling is that I am only looking at one contact.

Thanks again for both your site andd help

Clare

Clare

Postby Clare » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:27 pm

Thankyou for your answer Diane, and I have confirmed that Bekins Vanlines and Bekins Moving LLC are the same compnay. Thier quote is a lot lower than the other companies and they are a large mover with many agents, but I am worried about how the Bekins rep explained the estimate he gave me and about the Bankrupcy. Has anyone heard of AMS Relocation?

Bekins said that I had a quote for 33 items and that they would not weight the load if I kept to 33 items, so despite the fact that the quote stated 5 boxes of various sizes, I could pack 5 of the biggest boxes I could find with rocks. As long as I did not exceed 33 items I was fine. If I had 34 items then they would weigh the load and if it was in excess of the estimate I would lose the discounts increasing the cost considerably. This seemed very complicated and odd. Should I be wary or was this simply an honest helpful fellow explaining how to work the system.

I would go with Sterling, but again should I worry that I have only a verbal phone quote?
Thanks

Clare

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:34 pm

Verbal phone quotes are TROUBLE.

TROUBLE.

TROUBLE!!

...and so are estimates based on item counts.

A common tactic to inflate your item count is to break apart items. For example, the phone estimator will ask you "Do you have a stereo?" You reply "Yes" so you are thinking that your stereo counts as 1 item. When the movers arrive they will insist that the receiver, CD player, and each of the 5 speakers be packed each it its own box. So your "one stereo system" has now become 7 or more items and that is how they will record it...

Similarly, they may force you to take the drawers out of your dresser(s) and pack each drawer in its own box. Thus a single dresser can instantly turn into 5-7 items as well.

There are SO many ways to falsely inflate an item count it's not even funny. Neither is it worth the risk of dealing with an inventory based on item counts, cubic feet, or any of the other BS estimatation methods.

To protect yourself, only consider written estimates, priced by weight, and based on a visual survey in your home by the estimator.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:24 pm

And we already know that this company has been trouble, at least with its creditors. Given this particularly complicated and odd estimating system based on no visual survey, I would also suggest that you go with another company. Quotes that are much lower than others are almost always too good to be true.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:26 pm

In general, I completely agree with Tyrone to get in home estimates on moves. However, with the size of this move, it may not be possible to get multiple, in home estimates. Looking at what the booking commission would be on this move, it would barely pay for the gas in the salesmen's car for him to come out to this residence. Also, regarding your quote from Sterling, I don't know that they have agents across the country to do visual estimates. They normally just offer small moves.

Bekins does low ball, and it is Bekins LLC that filed for bankruptcy in April of this year. They also have a poor review on the BBB site for L.A.: http://www.labbb.org/scripts/cgiip.exe/ ... &hAddrID=5

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:05 pm

Aside from the questions and comments already suggested, I noticed that both are quoting your for $20,000 valuation. Is that the number you wish to purchase or is that the number they are coming up with.

If its your requesting it, then I understand.

If its them, then they are overcharging you for your minimum. If you do not understand how valuation is determined by a mover let me know and I will be more then glad to help you understand.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:14 pm

It was pointed out to me by today by a trusted friend that Bekins has been fined $1 million by the government that is to be paid within one year. This most likely played a part in their bankruptcy filing, and will also surely play a role in their ability to pay claims.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:04 am

Tim, Do you know if that was Bekins corporate or a group of agents? The bankruptcy filing was by a company that owned a group of Bekins agencies by the name of Bekins LLC. They are based in Southern California but have several Bekin's agencies. Bekins Van Lines is the corporate entity based, I think, in Illinois.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:08 am

Nancy,

To be honest, I don't know which entity that was. Sorry!

Tim

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:37 am

Clare, based on what you've said it's sounding to me as if Cor-o-Van is your best choice.

Return to “Open Community”