Moving from San Diego to Arizona...

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jevans

Moving from San Diego to Arizona...

Postby jevans » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:02 am

I am planning a move from San Diego to Scottsdale late this month. I too was caught in the internet trap until I found this site. I have so far gotten 3 in-house quotes.

1st was recommended from a friend Melvinthemover, anyone heard of them. Quote was $2614 based on 8057Lbs

After reading you how to list, I contacted Sullivan, an agent for United. Their quote was $4120.44 based on a weight of 8999lbs. I checked out insurance and BBB both look fine.

2nd quote was from Atlas Transfer an agent for Allied. Quoted $3855.02 for 9582lbs. Look fine on BBB need to call tomorrow to get dot# for insurance.

Allied is winning my vote, although the broker mentioned sure is tempting. Any advice or experience would be helpful!!! :?

Jo

MusicMom

Re: Moving from San Diego to Arizona...

Postby MusicMom » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:10 am

Is Melvin the Broker?

First of all, the phone number listed on www.melvinthemover.net is registered to:

A Good Idea
1815 N Broadway
Escondido, CA 92026-2036
(760) 839-9202

According to the City of Escondido, this is an 5-acre undeveloped plot of land for sale. :roll:

There is no license listed for any moving company with Melvin in the name in CA. Forget them. How did you find them?

Secondly, brokers in general shoulld be avoided. They add an unnecessary level of confusion and possibilities for erors. Also, notice Melvin's quote is almost half of the second quote? That's what we call "Lowballing". Nobody would actually complete the mvoe for that amount, you'd be charged about what you would pay with a reputable mover, but with twice as much heartache. If your friend used this company, they used an unlicensed and uninsured mover.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:13 am

OK, I might be misreading the undeveloped plot thing, because this is who the website is registered to. Perhaps there is an apartment building on this plot.

Melvin Baker
1815 N, Broadway #54
Escondido, CA 92026
US
Phone: 760-839-9202
Fax..: 760-871-9203

jevans

Postby jevans » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:24 pm

Thanks for the reply Musicmom...

Melvin is a broker and I have phone # of 858-832-1295. I found out about him through a friend who is planning a move in November. She has a neighbor who just had her stuff picked up last week. ( no news on how that went).

I pretty much ruled him out after finding this website. I have an agent for Atlas Van Lines coming tomorrow for an in-home estimate. My decision will be between United, Allied and Atlas. I'll keep you posted.:)

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:27 pm

Good to know. Is your friend still planning on using him? He has absolutely no license. Refer her (and the neighbor) to this post.

jevans

Postby jevans » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:04 am

The last quote for Atlas van lines was $5614.30 for 10000 lbs. (Ace Relocation Services). So now I am weighing the three...

Atlas, United, and Allied

Any advice for an overwhelmed mover?

:? Jo

Elismama

Postby Elismama » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:46 pm

Jo,
I recently completed a move with Atlas Transfer & Storage (an Allied agent). Is this who you meant by Atlas Transfer? If so, they were great. We had packing services as well as loading and unloading. We moved from San Diego to Fort Collins, CO.

My only two complaints were:
1) They did not wrap my couch and chair. (The packers were supposed to, and the movers did not bring wrap with them.) I was actually a little mad about this, as the movers gave me the impression they had called the office to have some wrap delivered and would do it in the truck. Ironically, I forgot to tell them about this complaint when the did the follow up survey.
2) I could not call and get my final weight before delivery. (It was billing directly to my husband's company, so I was not going to see the price tag. I cared because we had a dollar limit on our total move, and I wanted to know what else we could do with that money.) Turns out, it was 500 lbs OVER the estimate, but they gave me no trouble about the binding estimate -- it was never even brought up.

I would use this company again, though I think the next time I move, I will opt to see the weighing of the truck after the load.

Good luck.
Eli's Mama

jevans

Postby jevans » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:59 pm

Thanks Elismama for the post on Atlas Transfer and Storage....(as for your furniture wrapping concern, did you read the Allied/Continental post?)

I am down to two choices...

Atlas Transfer and Storage , Allied van lines,binding estimate, 9582 lbs. based on tariff TPG 5/24/2004 (what does that mean?) quoted 3855.02
they offer guaranteed rate reduction of $15.50 per cwt. On the estimate, it doesn't itimize much, instead it states Service included. The partial packing Is itimized at $359.40.

Ace Relocation Systems. Inc. for Atlas Van Lines. NON-binding 400N tariff.
estimate is based on 10000 lbs $5614 includes a $350 appliance disconnsct fee which we had discussed as a possibility. There is also a 110% collection option of $6175. (I could use some clarity on that too)When I called to ask for an estimate for 9000 lbs, the rep was happy to provide that to me for comparison purposes only...We would be signing the original estimate if we decided to go further. his estimate came out at 4475 (still including the $350 for appliances that Allied did not.) the 110% collection option was for 4922. The rep also increase my discount from 60% to 65% and took out an addition $200 shuttle fee.

So the question, Who will it be....I know binding vs. non-binding is huge so maybe some clarity on that would help.

Bottom line I just need some help with all the legal jargon so I make an educated decision and don't get screwed!!!

Thanks in advance, I love this sight!!

Elismama

Postby Elismama » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:25 pm

I want to let the more expert people respond on the moving jargon, but my $0.02 is, don't use a NON-binding estimate. While they may only charge you 110% on delivery, they can charge you anything they want on top of that (bill you later...) Personally, I'd say to them, "I can only go with a binding estimate. If you cannot provide that, then I will have to choose someone else." I also got a quote from Ace, but I cannot remember that much about it. I think it was binding, as I only remember Mayflower not agreeing to give me a binding estimate. I don't know why Ace wouldn't (did they offer an explanation?)

As I said in my prior post, I got a binding estimate from Atlas, and even though my weigh was 500lbs over the estimate, I was only charged the original price. This is how it should be, so I'm just reporting this to say that they did not try to weasle out of it in any way.

I would ask Atlas why they did not quote the appliance disconnect fee. This may be okay, but I thought most of them subcontracted this, so it should be separate. DO NOT take my word for it. I did not move any applicances and am only speaking from stuff I read on this board. Hope someone else can enlighten you about this, but either way, just call your Atlas T&S rep and ask. There may be a simple explaination.

Good luck.
Eli's Mama

jevans

Postby jevans » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:34 am

Thanks Eli's Mama! I decided to do with Atlas T & S ( Allied Van Lines). Deciding a binding contract was the way to go. Thanks for the advice. So far my agent has been quick to answer questions. I will let you know how the move executes itself. My moving date is October 27th.

Jo

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:33 pm

jevans wrote:I am planning a move from San Diego to Scottsdale late this month. I too was caught in the internet trap until I found this site. I have so far gotten 3 in-house quotes.

1st was recommended from a friend Melvinthemover, anyone heard of them. Quote was $2614 based on 8057Lbs

After reading you how to list, I contacted Sullivan, an agent for United. Their quote was $4120.44 based on a weight of 8999lbs. I checked out insurance and BBB both look fine.

2nd quote was from Atlas Transfer an agent for Allied. Quoted $3855.02 for 9582lbs. Look fine on BBB need to call tomorrow to get dot# for insurance.

Allied is winning my vote, although the broker mentioned sure is tempting. Any advice or experience would be helpful!!! :?

Jo

My advice: Do not use Melvin The Mover for your move. I simply can not recommend him and knowing what I know now . . I would go with a more reputable company.

Return to “Open Community”