about to make international move to UK

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
wizard

about to make international move to UK

Postby wizard » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:19 pm

I'm in the process of finding a mover for my international move from NY to England. I almost used Lehigh! but found your site thank god. After researching your site and taking the advice that was given...I have looked in my local yellow pages and have an appointment with All American Van Lines, Inc. in Hicksville, NY
NYS DOT #12304
US DOT#:663388
They are agents for Stevens Worldwide and we have called Stevens in Seattle to confirm this and they assured us that all american were very good.
OK, so here is where I'm a little paranoid, Tyrone on the board once posted something stating to stay away from all american van lines (their webste is cybermove.com)....but...Stevens has been mentioned many times on here as very reputable.
Please help! I'm getting confused with who's bad and good?

Diane

Re: about to make international move to UK

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:38 am

Hi - it appears that All American IS an agent of Stevens Worldwide Van Lines, but it has two fairly recent license revocations and I get a bad feeling from its flashy website at www.cybermove.com. Maybe you could PM Tyrone to ask him for more details, because I was also confused by what he said.

As for alternatives, a company called Sterling International has recently been praised on this board and someone is using it right now for a small move to Germany. Its website is www.sterlinginternational.com. A contact there is Phil and his number is 302-762-2896. Another company in the Pittsburgh area called Champion International at www.champmove.com and phone 800-841-1010 has also been praised by a moving professional who posts here. You might look into these two companies.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:51 am

My brother recently moved from Seattle to London, UK. He should be receiving his stuff in London in a few days at which point he would be able to give his final opinion on the move.

I can ask him which moving company he used.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:30 am

Guest,

I would advise to sticking with companies in your area unless you are personal friends with someone in the industry that can help you.

Sterling is a good company but a broker. Champion is in Pittsburgh.

Definitely see what Tyrone says about this company, I suggest you PM him for a quicker response.

There is also an article here written about international relocations. It might be helpful in your search of companies and what to look for.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

IMP

Postby IMP » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:49 am

Wizard,

Champion is in Pittsburgh which is your time zone - I think that was one of Michael's recommendations to another guest to the site so that's not a bad starting point. American International is another - may even have a NY or CT office, but I'm not sure they venture into the C.O.D. market, they may only work with corporate accounts. I think their web address is www.aires.com.

Good luck.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:57 am

Hi - I looked at the American International website but felt that they worked only with corporate accounts. Also, a question for Michael, should Sterling be ruled out because it is a broker? Is it best not to deal with a broker for an international move? I would like to know because many people ask about international moves and if this company is undesirable because of being a broker I won't mention it again.

wizard

Postby wizard » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:33 pm

Anonymous wrote:My brother recently moved from Seattle to London, UK. He should be receiving his stuff in London in a few days at which point he would be able to give his final opinion on the move.

I can ask him which moving company he used.

Hi
Thanks everyone for the advice, I will keep you posted with developments.

also , Guest, please let me know the outcome of your brothers move as it would be cool to hear from someone who had a successful move to the UK.

This all very confusing, what does it mean when someone has had their license revoked?? do they have a license now??

Thanks!

frenchiecath

Postby frenchiecath » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:52 am

Anonymous guest are you still here ? I'd like to know which company your brother used on his move from Seattle to UK, and how did it go ?

wizrd

Postby wizrd » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:41 pm

OK...here is what we have learned and decided to do with our move. We contacted several companies and decided that we will have to eliminate more of our stuff and send it through the US postal service ground. The big musical equiptment we are sending via DHL and of course we will be taking some extra baggage on the plane!

First we spoke with Sterling who gave us a quote of $2500.00 without actually seeing what we had, but were pretty right on with their estimate of how much really do have. They were actually the lowest quote we got, but a little more than we had expected to pay.

Next we had All American Van Lines (affiliated with Stevens, which is supposed to be reputable) here on Long Island come and see our stuff for a quote and never called us with the quote! We left several messages and finally got a return call 2 weeks later, not telling us the price yet and when we called back had to leave another message and we still never got a return call....so if it is this hard to get a price from them, I'de hate to imagine what would happen if something went wrong with our move! This was a double disappointment as I had cancelled plans with my best freind who was in the new york area for only that day(she's from LA), because I had to be here for the estimate. Oh well.

Next we had local company Liberty Moving who are affiliated with United come and give us a quote. They looked at half of our stuff and left, which was weird because we had a lot more things in the other part of the house that would have to be possibly crated etc....they did however call back with a quote of around $4000.00 which I dont really know what this was based on as he never really looked at all our stuff, nor did he care to know what else there was.

Finally...we had Champion come...who were absolutley and completley professional and efficient. We had the quote the next day. If only we could afford it! it was $5000.00 (way out of our budget) had we been able to afford them I would have used them without any doubt in my mind. They made me feel quite safe and informed.

We have what is considered a fairly small move. Approx. 220 cubic feet at around 1700 lbs and not really any furniture, mostly boxes. Anyone who is making an international move at this size might really want to consider mailing the stuff to yourself if you have a tight budget, meaning you want to spend around $2000.00 or less.

If you do have a bigger budget, I would definatly suggest a big company like Champion. They were the only ones that truly made me feel safe about the whole thing. I'm postive there would be no surprises at the end of the move if I were to use them.

I'm still nervous about sending my fragile belongings through the mail but at least I know what I'm dealing with. I might have to end up paying possible import duties but at least there won't be the possibilties of some of the nightmares I've read about on this site.

I think that's about it. I hope this helps anyone with a similiar move as I know it is a really nerve racking thing to go through, especially with all the dishonesty that seems to be rampant in this business. I will definatly post what my outcome is, once I get to England and can get near a computer. I wish more people would post their good outcomes!

Thanks to everyone on this site that helped with our decision, I hope it was the right one!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:56 pm

Wizard,

This is absolutely one of the most useful posts that I've seen recently. Thank you so much for taking the time.

I took the liberty of adding your name to the post (I had to misspell it slightly to get the program to accept it) and putting the names of the various companies in bold for easier reference.

I'm not surprised by the outcome except for the fact that Sterling came in so much lower than Champion. Maybe some of the moving professionals here can give their opinions about why that might be. I realize that Sterling didn't actually see the shipment, and I suppose that the quote may not have included all possible costs. "Helenakneu" on another thread just shipped 200 cubic feet with Sterling and paid $2000 (so far), which she said was much lower than her other quotes. I'll be interested to see whether this price holds.

Thanks again, and do let us know whether your boxes get to the UK safely.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:46 am

I moved to the UK from the states. DO NOT USE LEHIGH. My stuff took months after the negotiated contract, plus boxes are missing. I also have some major billing issues. Good luck.

Just make sure that your quote/estimate is BINDING and get your delivery date GUARANTEED not an estimated time. Just words of wisdom.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:51 am

I forgot to add (I'm the anti-Lehigh person from above)....

I have used Sterling for a cross-country US move. I have to admit my company did the planning. I just know Sterling was the company and North American Van Lines were used so I don't know who was contracted etc.

But I was very delighted and everything went smoothly. Some minor damage to one furniture piece (which is to be expected in any move) but they had fine repairmen come in and fix it up beautifully!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:59 am

Thanks for the testimonial. My only concern about Sterling is that their prices seem almost TOO low, but we shall see.

Regarding Lehigh, on March 14 I noted that Worldwide Relocations and Lehigh were advertising on the same website. That was one of the things that alarmed me about WWR (along with the involvement of the notorious Steve Kuller).
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=#7543

Return to “Open Community”