CT to IN - Gold Service Movers/Wheaton?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tjarnold2001

CT to IN - Gold Service Movers/Wheaton?

Postby tjarnold2001 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:11 am

Help! I am overwhelmed with quotes from moving companies and reading negative testimonials. Fortunately, I discovered this site ...

Has anyone had experience with Gold Service Movers, based in the NY/CT area, an affiliate of Wheaton? I am moving my belongings from a storage unit in CT to an apt. in IN.

Thanks for sharing your experiences,

tjarnold2001

Diane

Re: CT to IN - Gold Service Movers/Wheaton?

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:39 pm

Hi - Wheaton is one of the smaller major van lines. Because of that, people have had doubts about using them for a long-distance move like yours, especially during the busy summer months when you might wait a long time for delivery. However, we do have one report of a good move with Wheaton from CA to MA - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2333

Also, there is a rave review of Gold Service Movers on Epinions.com at http://www.epinions.com/content_138465611396 -

Absolutely Perfect
by esivers, Apr 30 '04
Pros: On time, fast, no damage, under budget
Cons: None

My wife and I recently completed a long-distance interstate move (New York to Montana). We didn't choose Wheaton; instead we chose their local affiliate in White Plains, NY (Gold Service Movers), based on previous positive experience. Gold quoted us a 60% discount, which the Wheaton driver said isn't terribly unusual in such a competitive industry.

Our Wheaton driver was terrific. He was organized, professional, and diligent. My wife and I had packed everything but our electronics, which the movers packed very well. Our drop-off in Montana was several days ahead of schedule (with a day's notice). None of our items were damaged. We paid by credit card, and the total invoice was over $1,000 less than the estimate.

Interstate moving companies use many local affiliates, and perhaps we were lucky. There is no doubt, however, that we had an excellent driver, and I have sent a letter to Wheaton to that effect.

You could contact the writer at esivers at hotmail.com to ask for more details.

I have also been impressed by the reported performance of another Wheaton agent--Flatbush Moving Company in Brooklyn (718-236-8900)--although the longest move that they did which was reported on here was from Brooklyn to Vermont. I understand that Flatbush has been a family-owned and family-run company over several generations, which often signifies a quality operation.

Whoever you choose, please come back to us to tell us how it goes since we need more information about how Wheaton performs long distance.

tjarnold2001

Re: CT to IN - Moving date

Postby tjarnold2001 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:27 pm

Thanks for your message! I will definitely check out your links and suggestions, but I quickly wanted to note that I will not be moving in the summer. We plan to move either in late November or sometime soon thereafter. My guess is that this will help my moving experience, but I'd appreciate hearing your comments about this as well.

tjarnold

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:45 pm

It might be a good idea to contact "esivers" to see what driver he/she had, and then see if by chance Gold Service could give you that same driver. It's worth a try, anyway.

I think you should be OK with Wheaton in November. In order to have a successful move, it's best if the driver who picks up your shipment is the driver who delivers it. This is the norm in the moving industry, but sometimes during the busy summer months, people's goods have to be transferred to a warehouse to wait for a driver to come along. This not only causes delay, but from what I have gathered on this board, the transferring and storage process is where the damage (if any) usually takes place--too much handling of the goods. I would ask Gold Service whether they can assure you that your goods will not be stored in transit.

You could ask Gold Service for some more names of people they have moved. And, as always, we advise people to get a Guaranteed Not to Exceed / Binding Not to Exceed (they are the same) estimate.

van operator

Postby van operator » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:23 pm

i drove for wheaton for several years. they are the only debt free van line in the industry. this means they pay their bills, people, agents and claims. most of thier business is C.O.D business and they get a good reputation by making one family at a time happy instead of concerning themselves keeping a huge national account happy. i will tell you that several times i have loaded shipments from flatbush in brooklyn and have had problems beyond my control and the agent was unwilling to help. this makes for a bad move from the begining for the driver and the customer. stay with gold services

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:58 pm

Exactly what types of problems did you have with Flatbush? I have been hopeful about them based on positive reviews on this board.

I've read all of the Wheaton reviews on Epinions and there are some bad as well as good ones there. Unfortunately, people usually don't specify the particular agent they are talking about or whether they are talking self-haul or not. There IS a more recent review of Gold Service where the long-distance Wheaton driver was said to be unsatisfactory - http://www.epinions.com/content_156378107524

Return to “Open Community”