Bklyn to Chgo: Nassau United, Liffey Allied, Flatbush Wheato

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Judy

Bklyn to Chgo: Nassau United, Liffey Allied, Flatbush Wheato

Postby Judy » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:53 pm

I'm moving to Chicago in two weeks. I have received in-house estimates from Nassau World Wide Movers Inc (a United agent), Liffey (an Allied agent), and Flatbush (a Wheaton agent).

Nassau and Flatbush wouldn't give me GNTE estimates. They gave me non-binding estimates. Liffey gave me a binding estimate.

However, Nassau gave me a very thorough and detailed estimate. They figured in the shuttle charge for Brooklyn, and said no shuttle would be needed in Chicago. The weight and total cost seems appropriate. I was given a list of boxes I would need and it seems accurate. Overall, I thought they have been quite professional.

My biggest concern with Nassau is not so much the non-binding estimate, but the number of complaints with the BBB! They have 10!

Flatbush definitely gave me a low-ball estimate. The cost and weight seems low. The type and # of boxes I was told I would need seems insufficient. They told me I would not need a shuttle in Brooklyn. Also, the rep. was aggressive and pushy. All of this to me spells trouble.

The Liffey estimate, the only binding estimate, is considerably more expensive. The weight estimate is the same as Nassau's. The rep. who came to my house was there for the shortest amount of time and did not talk me about boxes. He also said I would need a shuttle in Bklyn. Most importantly, it seems to me, he said that Liffey would pick up my things, put it all in storage, and then a Berger truck from Chicago would do the hauling.

Any thoughts from you wonderful people out there what I should do? I was going to go with Nassau until I checked the BBB. The fact that Liffey is not actually going to be moving my things gives me serious pause about them. Flatbush is not a contender. I really need to make a decision and get packing. I'd rather not get more estimates. Aargh.

I ruled out BE right from the start because of the shuttles needed, the additional work for me, I don't have anyone to help, and I really care about my stuff (a lot my hand thrown pottery, new handmade bed frame, etc) and was hoping to get professionals involved in every step of the process.

Thanks for any input. Let me know if you need more info.
Best,
Judy

weem

Re: Bklyn to Chgo: Nassau United, Liffey Allied, Flatbush Wh

Postby weem » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:11 pm

Berger is an excellent agent of Allied van lines--they just gave you a thorough explanation of how all the major van lines operate.

Judy

Postby Judy » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:34 pm

Well that's good news.

So, would you recommend going with Liffey even though they gave me a much higher estimate?

Liffey est. is $3000 (binding)
Nassau est. is $2200 (non-binding)
Flatbush est. is $1900 (non-binding)

Thanks,
Judy

weem

Postby weem » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:15 pm

can you supply estimated weights,price and discount if given?

Judy

Postby Judy » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:29 pm

Nassau United
weight: 2856 lbs
price: $2272.91
discount: 62%
shuttle charge: $1187

Liffey Allied
weight: 2800 lbs
price: $3099
discount: not stated on the estimate
shuttle charge: $850 + stairs: $225

Flatbush Wheaton
Can't remember, my paperwork is elsewhere. I think he gave the weight as 2000 lbs. The price was like $1800 or $1900. And I think the discount was around 50%.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:16 pm

Will Liffey give you a Guaranteed Not to Exceed estimate for the same weight? That way your price would not go up, but it could go down if your weight is less.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:17 am

Judy,

Have you checked with the NY DOT to see whether these companies have complaints? Someone posting as "lawra" posted this a while back:

You can call them directly at (800)786-5368 to see if a mover is liscensed and if they have complaints against them, or you can get the same info via email lscotto@gw.dot.state.ny.us

I had luck with the phone 1x, then never got a live person again. The email was responded to within a day though.

I can't understand why Liffey will give you a Binding estimate (I assume it's Binding, and not Binding Not to Exceed) and Nassau won't. I think I would worry about a nonbinding estimate.

Judy

Postby Judy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:31 am

Hi Tim,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Did you mean would Nassau give me a GNTE for the same weight? If that's what you meant, um, the answer is no. I asked Nassau if they would give me a guaranteed not to exceed estimate and they would not.

I feel like Nassau gave me a thorough estimate. I don't really foresee where/how the price could suddenly go up significantly. They said they would give me the weight slips and would allow me to watch the weighing if I want. They don't seem like scammers. However, they have 10 complaints with the BBB. Should I go with Liffey who will charge me $100's more just because they gave me a GNTE?

Sorry for beating this into the ground. I'm kinda at wits end with all of this. :shock:

Thank you so much!
Judy

Judy

Postby Judy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:49 am

Oops, now I see where the confusion lies.

The Liffey estimate is, in fact, binding not to exceed.

I will try the NY Dot tomorrow and get back to you.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:10 am

Hi Judy,

Thanks for clarifying the type of estimate that Liffey has given you. I'm curious if you have let Liffey know what Nassau gave you for an estimate? If not, I would let them know that you're leaning towards Nassau because of the price and that you'd like to give them the opportunity to get closer to your target price. They may or may not come down in price, but it certainly won't hurt to ask.

In regards to Nassau, I think that they are a fairly large van line so ten complaints in three years doesn't cause me great concern by itself. What does concern me is that none of them were deemed to be resolved; they were all determined to be "Administratively Judged Resolved" by the Better Business Bureau which means that the BBB decided that the complaint was resolved, not necessarily the consumer. If you are still considering Nassau then you need to bring this up and have them explain (in detail and to your satisfaction) the exact details of these complaints.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:14 am

I agree with Tim that you should resolve your issues with Nassau and the BBB to your satisfaction. I also agree that 10 complaints in three years is not a bad thing. Guess it depends on the complaint.

Second, please verify with Liffey that their quote is based on the 400N tariff and not their TPG Pricing program. If it is based on their TPG program, then your estimate is binding, NOT A NOT TO EXCEED.

Second, you yourself say Nassau was the most thorough, detailed and complete of the three. I personally feel that is a battle won in your favor by itself. As you saw in your three walk throughs, attention to detail varies.

I see in your quotes that Allied is charging for stairs, so it makes me wonder what Tariff they are following, in all likely hood their TPG Tariff.

Personally Nassau is the better deal is price is the main issue. Even for your cost to go up your weight would have to go up significantly. And if your weight goes down, I dont see your cost dropping much with Allied or Nassau significantly. Because the TPG is a commission driven pricing program, chances are the sales person will lower his commission.

I think your best bet is Nassau if your BBB questions are answered satisfactory.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Judy

Postby Judy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:34 pm

Thanks to Diane, Tim and Michael for their suggestions.

I think because it's Veterans Day, I wasn't able to get through to the NY DOT. Will try again tomorrow.

The Liffey estimate as Michael suspected is BINDING. Sorry for the confusion! I just called them and found out that it is a TPG program. The person I spoke to said the price might go up if it turns out that a shuttle is needed in Chicago. The cost of the shuttle would be $295. I also asked them if they would match Nassau's price and they wouldn't.

I'm waiting to hear back from Nassau about the BBB issues. In the meantime, I spoke to one of the references they gave me (upon request). The person (at a respected NYC cultural institution) was very, very positive. I left messages with a couple others. Nassau has looked into the shuttle and said I wouldn't need one.

Obviously I'm leaning heavily towards Nassau, I just don't want to do anything rash or stupid. I will let you know how things turn out on the other end! I think I can take it from here. :)

Best,
Judy

Judy

Postby Judy » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:50 am

I spoke to my Nassau United rep. about the BBB complaints. I am satisfied with his explanation. I also got a call back from another reference - it was positive.

Talk to you on the other end,
Judy

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:28 am

Good luck Judy. We'll be looking forward to hearing how it went!

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Judy

Postby Judy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:34 pm

Hey, my move is finished! In the end, everything turned out exactly right. I'm kinda shocked.

So, here's what happened. I hired Nassau United. They were responsible and reasonably attentive about giving me accurate time and dates for the move, returning phone calls, answering questions, etc.

The estimate, as you know, was non-binding. The final total went up by only $185 for the cost of the insurance. The insurance wasn't included in the estimate. Other than that, there were no increases in cost. The weight of my shipment came in at only 16 lbs. lower than the estimated weight!!! Could the guy who gave me an estimate really have estimated so closely? I didn't actually see the weight tickets...

The most disconcerting aspect of the move was that Nassau never actually moved any of my stuff. And after all that research I did into Nassau! They had contractors pick up my stuff with the small "shuttle" truck. They were nice, friendly, conscientious guys but they didn't have the mattress box they were supposed to bring or the saran wrap stuff they were supposed to use to wrap my sofa cushions. They did have lots of moving blankets though and were careful about wrapping everything.

They then took my stuff and moved it onto an All Chicagoland truck. The new guys had to wrap everything with their own blankets. All Chicagoland turned out to be fine, I had no problems with them at all. They showed up a half hour early, nothing was missing, and nothing was damaged. They were perfectly willing to help put stuff where I needed it to go. Praises to All Chicagoland. I'm still not entirely convinced about Nassau. Whatever. It's over. The cost was reasonable and everything is here and intact.

Thanks once again to MovingScam!

Judy

Return to “Open Community”