moving from NJ to Hollywood FL...any help

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
alex nj

moving from NJ to Hollywood FL...any help

Postby alex nj » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:00 am

Hi I was wondering if any one could recommend a moving company for us?

MusicMom

Re: moving from NJ to Hollywood FL...any help

Postby MusicMom » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:17 am

Can't recommend a company, but can steer you in the right direction. Look up and to the left and click on the cool smiley link. Great article on what kind of legwork you need to do to check if the mvoer you're considering is licensed and reputable.

Moving from NJ puts you at a greater risk, since there are so many bum companies there. If you want, post the names of any companies you schedule for in-home estimates, and we'll help you check them out.

The three main things you should look for when calling the moving company for the first time are:

:arrow: What is their DOT and MC number? If they hesitate at all to give you one, or say they don't need one, hang up immediately and go on to the next one. Are they a broker? (they cannot pass themselves off as the actual mover)

:arrow: How long have they been in business at this address? We recommend at least 5 years, since scammers move around so much. This will be a good indicator of their honesty, since it's easily verifyable.

:arrow: Will they come to your home to give you a visual estimate, and ask for a Guaranteed-Not-To-Exceed (but ask for this after they've quoted an estimtated weight). You will probably be charged a little more this kind of estimate, since it's a gamble for the mover, but it's safest for you. Do not let them talk you out of it.

Final note: This is NOT the time to be shopping by price only. It should be a final consideration after records, reputation, etc, but if any of your for or five quotes is much lower than the others, I would immediately suspect it. Ditto for extra-high ones.

Good luck!

alex nj

Postby alex nj » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:33 pm

Thank you for your help. I was always led to believe that word of mouth is the best way to find a reliable any thing Doc, lawyer, job and in this case a mover. I did read all the ways to find a mover and what I should do to screen one DOT MC PHONE # references and so on. I guess what I'm asking is if any one had a good experience with someone that they would feel comfortable recommending to us.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:36 pm

Where do you live in NJ, Alex? How much stuff do you have and when do you want to move? Do you want a full-service mover or would you consider a self-move?

alex nj

Postby alex nj » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:49 pm

I live in Wood ridge NJ it's north NJ. I have a 2 bedroom appt and 2 cars one we will drive down the other one not sure about it as of now. we want to move at the end of DEC. I would rather have a full service mover because we have a lot of heavy stuff like metal dining room table with glass and big bedroom set. I think that if I do a self move I would do Broadway Express.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:11 pm

My advice would be to get quotes from both BE and full-service movers since you are unsure.

With BE you have to remember that they used to be the largest Bekins agent in the United States before becoming an independent company some years back. Therefore they are not your typical freight company with drivers that aren't used to handling household goods--many of their drivers are or were household movers. If you hire either a temp labor agency such as LaborReady or a local household mover to load the truck with the BE driver supervising, I feel pretty confident that your things would be safe. Unloading is usually less of a problem than loading so just a temp agency would probably be OK for that. BE can move your car(s) on the truck with your goods if you want.

With regard to full-service movers, these are some of the companies in the NYC area that have good reviews on this board by people who have actually used them:

1. The three Wheaton agents All Brunswick Van Lines (Dayton, NJ), Moving Man (Manhattan), and Flatbush Moving (Brooklyn). A couple of people did say that the Moving Man rep seemed too aggressive, but you are from Jersey so I'm sure you're used to that style.

2. The small independent mover All Star in Brooklyn. I doubt that they would go to Florida, though.

3. Among the major van lines: University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ. People have also posted positive comments about Dahill (Mayflower), Holman (United), and A Colonial (Mayflower) in Edison, NJ, but no one has actually used them that I am aware of.

4. Loungecraft (Red Ball) and V. Santini (Atlas) have been mentioned but I can't remember the details. I think someone used Loungecraft to go from your area to Florida and was fairly well pleased.

Hope this helps. I only know what I read in reviews here (plus I have talked with the owners of Flatbush and All Star) and I am just bringing the material together to make it easier for you to consider your options. There are almost certainly other good companies in the area that just don't happen to have reviews posted, or I may have overlooked them. You can read more about any of these companies by using the search button near the top of the messageboard.

alex nj

Postby alex nj » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:45 am

Diane thank you for all of your help. I will keep you posted to the move. This site is awesome keep up all the good work. :D

Alex

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:34 am

You're very welcome. I remembered that "sammyk" just posted that he had a good experience using Applegate Moving (United) out of Manasquan, NJ - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2824. I don't know whether that is too far from you. Also, there is a person posting here as "weem" who knows a lot about the NJ moving scene and you might want to send him a PM at some point if you go with a full-service mover.

weem

Postby weem » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:22 am

Go south for pricing and reputable movers----applegate is good----look at northamerican in long branch and allied in red bank.South and east =s lower cost to do business and these 3 are not scammers----you still have to use common sense and remember the old adage that "if it sounds too good to be true--it probably is....too good to be true"

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:01 am

That would be American Movers in Long Branch (Global and North American) at 800-982-00130 and Berger Transfer in Red Bank (Allied) at 800-793-7492. Thanks, weem. Alex, please note his advice to go south and east for better pricing.

I notice that Berger Transfer advertises on 123movers.com but I agree with what weem has said before--some reputable companies may realize that that's where many people are getting quotes and they are just going where the customers are. I've noticed that the highly reputable ABF U-Pack also advertises on some websites populated by highly dubious companies.

I'm remembering other companies with good reviews here that I omitted from the above list.

"FoxyPat" moved to Florida with U. Santini in Brooklyn (Red Ball) and spoke very highly of them - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1998
I just wanted to post about my moving experience from Brooklyn, NY to Florida.

I decided to go with U. Santini (American Red Ball agent). After reading all the horror stories about moving I was expecting something to go wrong. Nothing did!

I had two households to move - mine and my parents. Our stuff was picked up with shuttle trucks on Monday and Tuesday, June 21 and 22. The four guys who loaded up our belongings were polite, hardworking, and very careful with everything. We were told that the trailer wouldn't be leaving NY until the weekend and we should expect to get our belongings the following Thursday, July 1. On Tuesday evening, June 29, the driver called to ask us if it would be okay to deliver our things on Wednesday, June 30th.

The driver and his helper were just as great as the guys who loaded up our stuff in NY. Between the two houses we had over 500 pieces of furniture and boxes and NOTHING was lost or broken. Best of all the final weight of the move was only 500 pounds over the original estimate.

I HIGHLY recommend U. Santini to anyone moving from the NY area. They are located in Brooklyn, NY on 15th Street.

Note that this company is different from V. Santini (Atlas), which I mentioned above - I don't think anyone has used V. Santini and come back to report to us.

In addition, I found this positive comment about the Dahill (Mayflower) estimator - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1532
We had Dahill Mayflower come today and they made a good impression. The first thing they did was give us the "rights" booklet and explained it. They made a positive impression, were very thorough, and offered us a choice of binding or non binding contract, and we're leaning toward them now. Plus they have an office in NC too, while Redball doesn't.
Dahill Mayflower:
DOT NYS 7123
DOT FED 125563 (Mayflower) and Dahill's own DOT number is 86492

Again, I don't think anyone has used Dahill and come back to report to us.

PacerFan577

Postby PacerFan577 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:53 pm

Just to weigh in here... I moved from NJ to Miami in August with an Atlas agent that hasn't been discussed in this thread. The local agent in New Jersey was pretty good but the long-haul was miserable. For that reason alone, unless the agent can guarantee you they will handle the move the entire way (unlikely), I would shy away from using Atlas from New Jersey to Florida. Plus I'm still waiting on my damage claims to be settled and we're approaching 4 months now. The drivers on both ends were really nice, though. Note - this is just my personal experience, we've had a number of people with excellent experiences with Atlas.

The prior year, I moved with Reliable Van & Storage in Elizabeth, NJ (Allied)... the driver and his helpers were extremely rude and their customer service was unpleasant, so I'd avoid them as well. I only worked directly with the agent on this one, nobody at their corporate HQ, so this isn't a reflection on Allied.

Best of luck, keep us posted!

Return to “Open Community”