Graebel vs. Supreme Van Line in Florida

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
west

Graebel vs. Supreme Van Line in Florida

Postby west » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:57 pm

:lol:
I am in a quandary right now. I have called over 10 movers and received estimates ranging from $900 - $1900. What I am looking for is a rough estimate in moving a one bedroom house with an office. In addition, we have a living room, dining room and boxes in the garage. I was quoted Graebel with $1900 and then down to $1700. Then, I was quoted $1,100 from Supreme Van Lines. I have researched hours and hours on the internet looking for complaints and found nothing. Does anyone have an opinion on these two companies?

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Graebel vs. Supreme Van Line in Florida

Postby twalker » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:06 am

West,

A couple of questions... you didn't say if this is an interstate move, or an intrastate move, so I'll have to go on the assumption that this is an interstate move. Also, you didn't say where Supreme Van Lines was located, or provide any information other than a name, so I'm assuming that this is the same company(?):

Supreme Van Lines
Company President: Smadar Bouhadana
(954) 322-4477, (888) 795-8555
http://www.supremevanline.com

3735 Piccadilly St.
Hollywood FL 33021

also using the address:

3125 John P. Curci Drive, Bay #2
Pembroke Park FL 33009

DOT#: 992530, MC# 421264

If we're talking about the same company, then they have only been in been in business for just over two years (incorporated on 5/16/2001). They didn't receive their Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) authority until 1/10/2002 which is curious enough, however their authority was revoked on 9/5/2002 and wasn't reinstated until six months later on 4/4/2003.

Just so you are aware, their Bodily Injury and Property Damage (BIPD) is currently set to expire on 6/27/2003 (two days from this post).

From what I see, I'd put some space between myself and Supreme Van Lines. Best case is that they are just an unstable company, worst case is that this is just another scam company operating out of the scam company hotbed of Florida.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to read the article on this web site titled "How to Find a Reputable Mover". You can find that article here: http://www.movingscam.com/news/findmover.shtml

I hope that helps.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:27 pm

West,

You dont want a rough estimate. You want an accurate estimate. You will end up just like all the others with an attitude like that. Not saying that negatively against you.

Read Tims article on how to find a mover. There should not be a significant difference in cost if everyone is quoting you for the same weight and services.

Dont move with a compnay that wants money upfront or a deposit. Dont move with a company that bases their cost on cubic feet. Dont move with any companies who's staff have names of famous actors/actress'. Dont move with companies that offer a month of free storage. Dont move with companies that expect you to tell them what you have.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

west

Postby west » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:19 am

:)
I take that back about wanting a rough estimate. I want a binding contract or a flat rate. Unfortunately, if you move in-state, officially you do not get the "BIG" name movers. I called on a particular "BIG" mover and they gave me their local branch which is a local mover who has been in business for a few months. In addition, these "BIG" movers take 2-3 days to get to a destination only a couple hundred miles away. ?HUH? I was under the assumption that if one picks up your things, they will deliver it the same day. Moreover, I was informed that other loads in addition to my stuff will be on the truck too. Yes...yes...I know that they are trying to be cost effective.
Question -
If I hire a "BIG" mover, and something happens unfortunately, who is ultimately responsible - "BIG" mover or the "local mover."
I am down to 3 movers so far out of about 15. YIKES!
Another Question -
Should I use "Mayflower" which the local company is name Moving For Less on 9222 N.W. 101 St. Miami, FL.
or
North American - I do not know the name of the local mover yet.
or
Jet Movers
11110 W. Oakland Park Blvd. #234 Sunrise, FL.

HELP. I need advice! :wink:

fubar

Postby fubar » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:44 am

On an intrastate move it will be the local mover that assumes the responsibility for the problems the might happen during the move. From what I have read on this board the state of Fla. has a very strict regulations in place for instate moves. That is why the scam companys do not go after that business. This is one case where I would recomend that you rent a truck and do it your self if you are able. If not. The NAVL agt. or the Mayflower agt would be good choices.

Bob Murphy

Postby Bob Murphy » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:03 pm

West, as far as I know the Mayflower in Miami is going out of business, try A1A Atlantic Mayflower in Fort Lauderdale, or Griffin Allied in Davie, Stay AWAY from JET. Where are you moving from and to? and when are you moving?
Bob

west

Postby west » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:45 pm

Fubar, I would love to move myself if I could, but IMPOSSIBLE. My husband and I are moving from Miami, Florida to Daytona, Florida. We would like to move either the 1st week in July or the 2nd week in July. At this point, who do I choose? Do I flip a coin in the air and then pick? I forgot to mention that I receive an estimate from Graebel for $1900 down to $1700. Should I go with that company? Also, does anyone know if that company subcontract like the rest? Does anyone have suggestions on a reputable moving company in Miami, FL? Yes, I have check the yellow pages. :D

fubar

Postby fubar » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:39 pm

No one here will tell you which carrier to use. They will tell you which movers NOT to use.
Graebel is a nationaly known mover that has a good rep. over all. You mentioned North American in a previous post. I am assuming the agent is Beltmann as they are the larget NAVL agt. in So. Fla. Bob mentioned A1A Mayflower.
I cannot make the decison for you. But I think you will be happy with any of the above. The carrier you choose will probably self-haul your shipment. But the driver that p/u you furniture may be a driver for another agent for the same van line. I can tell you your things will not be brokerd out to No Name Van Lines by any of the above.

This site is a great service for the moving consumer. But you never hear about the 90+% of moves that are... Picked up on time. Del. on time. At the quoted cost. With little or no damage. You very seldom hear about the moving sales people like Michale, Bob, Josh or Nancy that work like dogs to make sure that thier customers are treated fairly and recieve a square deal. For every moving horror story on this board there are 10 or more familys that are tickled pink with thier moving experience. ( Well. Maybe not tickled pink. But satisfied.) Sit back. Relax. Take a deep breath. Choose the mover that you think is the most professional at a comperable price to the others.

Good luck.

Bob Murphy

Postby Bob Murphy » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:29 am

Fubar, thanks for positive words. I appreciate and I'm sure the others do also.

Bob

Bob Murphy

Postby Bob Murphy » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:35 am

West, If you go to www.mayflower.com then go to agent finder, then to florida, you will see that Mayflower does not have a agent in Miami. If moving for less is claiming to be a agent for them I would call Mayflower headguarters in Fenton, Mo. and verify it as it could be possible they just signed on, but I doubt it.
Bob

fubar

Postby fubar » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:07 am

Just trying to set the record stright Bob. Tim. is right. It is very hard for the average Joe to understand the convoluted way the moving industry works. But if you only come to this site for help you could get the impression from some of the posters that everyone who has used a mover has been ripped off. That is simply not the case. But we all know good news dont sell newspapers. And it is not the intent of this web-site to be the champion of the Big 7 van lines. The all have thier own web-sites to do that. Soemtimes a breath of fresh air is needed though.
Hope you are having a great summer.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:28 pm

West,

If Steve Brown is still the President at Graebel Miami, go with them. Steve is an honest, hard worker. And if he has his men work as hard as he does, you will get a good job. So look into that.

Good luck,
Michael

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:25 am

Just to clarify a bit,

The impression that some people are trying to give is that we preach "doom and gloom". Far from the truth. We tell REALITY and we don't sugar coat it, the way the moving companies do.

We feel it is at best a gross disservice, and at worst an unethical sales tactic, to lead consumers into a false sense of security by implying that they are safe from being scammed if they hire a "major" van line. What's worse is that there is NO recourse for the consumer if/when the scam occurs. The final straw is that the AMSA, backed by every dollar that goes into the corporate coffers of the major van lines, is fighting tooth and nail against every thing this site (and movingadvocateteam.com) stands for.

To see what we are talking about, all you have to do is follow the money:

Consumer $ --> Major Van Line $ --> AMSA (the national lobby for the major van lines) $ --> Pro-scam, Anti-Consumer activities (for example, the current fight against HR 1070)

This is why it is absurd for the consumer to feed the van lines; the van lines are doing everything they can to keep the consumers in the role of powerless sheep to be bled dry.

So we are not interested in "spin" such as '9 out of 10 moves don't end in a scam'. 99999 out of 100000 flights don't end in a crash but look at the resources dedicated to PREVENT such a tragedy. 9999 out of 10000 blind dates don't end in date rape but look at the penalties in place to DETER people from such criminal activity. 999 out of 1000 cars through the intersection don't run the red light, but we dedicate resources and money to ENFORCE the traffic laws. 99 out of 100 Blockbuster Video customers rewind the tape but the other 1 must COMPLY with paying the fine or lose rental privileges :wink: . My point is that this country is governed by laws which restrict certain activities, and punish other activities, for the benefit of us all. But the moving industry is currently the ONLY INDUSTRY IN THE UNITED STATES that has the freedom to wantonly disregard federal law and flaunt basic human decency, and freely destroy people's lives, with NO CONSEQUENCES.

And where there are no consequences, there is no deterrent.

This is an industry for which the following concepts simply do not apply:
PREVENT -- DETER -- ENFORCE -- COMPLY
I just can't comprehend how the moving industry can be so dismissive of something that has such a devastating impact on the victim. It really sickens me that people can be so cavalier as to suggest that since it doesn't happen 100% of the time, it's not a valid issue. And all we're saying is, "follow the same rules as everyone else".

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:49 am

Tyrone,

I dont think that Josh, Nancy, myself, or anyone else in this industry that comes on this site to help people, once has said "YOU WONT GET SCAMMED" by the majors. But yes, just like with anything else, it doesnt occur near as often with the majors, as it does with these internet companies. Thats not to say its right, or nothing needs to be done.

And I would be willing to bet, that all of us agree there is something that needs to be done. But those of us that help here on Tim's web site, are not the one's that will make the difference.

Now I do disagree with you in regards to your comment that all you do is preach doom and gloom. And I disagree in this manner. Tim, is willing to let us help people with the information we have, that can be informative and helpful to people that are looking to relocate. On the other hand, James will not allow you to post a thing about a moving company on his web site. I stopped trying to help on James site, cause so many of my post never made it. James does preach doom and gloom, and the only way to move is to do it yourself.

In the year I have been coming to this site Tyrone, and been helping people move across the country, I have only had one shipment of my own, that was honestly, "attempted" to have been scammed (Charged more for no legitimate reason) by the driver. And that person, was "NOT" charged more.

So yes, I agree changes need to be made. How the money flows, who it flows to, or why, to be honest I dont care. I do care about my customers, and their lively hoods being transported, in a safe, respected manner in which I told them they would be. And I also care, that if they owe less, they pay less.

I believe something is being done about scam movers. But it's not going to happen over night. I am sure there will be many bills and legislation passed before a final "Law" comes into place. Or regulation. But I will let the powers that be, higher then me, worry about what changes they feel are necessary and not necessary. In the mean time, I will continue to do my job to the best of my ability, and help people when and where I can.
Michael

unhappy customer

Bekins Van Lines...Pacific Storage Co. (agents)

Postby unhappy customer » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:43 am

Failed to deliver my bedroom nightstand, in the month of May...I am still waiting...the drivers Pat Wallace and Larry...forgot to take it off the Bekins Van Lines Truck....and they destroyed my Microwave the platter and all the inside where missing...it was a High-end expenisive Microwave oven. My bedroom nightstand is still sitting somewhere, Bekins customer service dept. Ms. Felica phoned me and stated they had my nightstand and would send it UPS that was in May....and they would mail me some claims forms for my Microwave oven....still waiting in July....I also notified the CEO Mr.G.Tudor of Pacific Storeage company in Vallejo...he has not assistanced in any help at all.

Return to “Open Community”