Need help, SMALL move cross country

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MollieB

Re: Need help, SMALL move cross country

Postby MollieB » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:42 pm

moving from 92107 to 05401.

and i'll be uncrossing my fingers now, as adding in all those extra charges will surely kill off any savings.

Transportation Charge=
Amount includes the pad wrapping of all non-boxed items, loading of all items onto the truck, transportation to the destination, and unloading of items into the new home.

i'm starting to think it may be easier for all my stuff to have an "accident" lol. swim with the fishies.

sigh. :roll:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:45 pm

Mollie, I checked and those charges are already included in your ballpark quote. No worries. I ran the mileage with 1,100 pounds at a 60% discount. The cost would be $1280 on the 400N tariff. Your ballparks already include the surcharges that Diane mentioned.

I suggest you call a couple agents for major van lines and get their minimum quotes. YOu can start with the Allied one you already mentioned.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:50 pm

This is great news! I'll refer that person with a small load in NYC to this thread.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:57 pm

There is also a ballpark tool at www.navl.com . They include the surcharges that are required on moves, but do not include optional services such as packing, shuttle, valuation, extra stops, etc.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mollie

Postby Mollie » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:10 pm

wow, do you guys rock or what?
that is a relief to hear.

nancy, that link didn't work :wink: .

i'll search the board for vanline recommendations.

best
mollie

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:12 pm

Try again, the "." was included in the link. www.navl.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:19 pm

Eckert's in San Marcos is supposed to be good. I've heard some good things about Coronado Movers but I don't know what van line they represent. We don't have any reviews of these companies, though, whereas Atlas Allied has a couple of good reviews, I think.

MollieB

Postby MollieB » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:55 pm

hmmmm. no phone book listing for either of those.

here's a thought i just had...and it may be very foolish....but...

Booska Movers is out of vermont (and i've never heard anything but raves about them, which apparently means nothing :lol: ). i wonder if i could strike a deal to get on a truck that is coming BACK that way to begin with. most people aren't as dumb as i am to move to vermont in the dead of winter, and they may very well need the business. has anyone had any experience with this sort of "negotiation"?

as usual, thank you so much.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:09 pm

You could try contacting the VT mover, but I wonder whether they really run their trucks all the way out here.

Re Eckert's, I went on the www.navl.com website and found this contact information:

Eckert's Van & Stg.
849 Grand Ave.
San Marcos, CA 92069
(760) 727-2600

Wow! Thanks for defending us so fiercely on the other thread! :lol: (Actually, the person posting as "guest" or "Joseph" or "Joe Montgomery" is posting from Jacksonville, FL, while "East Coast Mover" is posting from Nashua, NH--moderators can see that information. They are two separate people, although I think that both may be company drivers home for the holidays.)

MollieB

Postby MollieB » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:14 pm

just to update, i have decided to sell everything i own (furniture wise). every piece of furniture i've worked my whole life to be able to afford. everything. i simply can't justify nor afford the absurd rates that reputable movers require for such a small amount of stuff. it galls me so much to be charged $1300 for 3 pieces (ie that fantastic mandatory minimum) that i can't do it. i simply cannot believe in this day and age there is NO ONE that can do a small move for a reasonable amount of money. it makes me sick, frankly. i understand that distance is a major issue, but from looking at other folks posts, i'd be hemorrhaging money if i were going even half the distance i am.

oh well. it's only stuff, right? too bad "stuff" is going to cost me money i don't have to replace. if i did, i wouldn't have this issue in the first place!

anyway, i wanted to give my sincere thanks to all of you that tried to help me out. you really are good folks, and i do appreciate all of your efforts.

Mollie

Return to “Open Community”