Brooks A & A Moving in Seattle

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
blanco

Brooks A & A Moving in Seattle

Postby blanco » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:31 pm

Hello,

I am doing a local move in Seattle and can't find any information on this moving company on the internet. Does anyone have any resources to tell me if they are a legitiment company or not?

Thank you,
Melanie

consumer advocate

Re: Brooks A & A Moving in Seattle

Postby consumer advocate » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:38 pm

Melanie,

Ask them for a DOT number or an MC number. That information will help us determine if they're legitimate or not. If they hesitate to give you the information that is a definite sign that you don't want to use them.

blacno

Postby blacno » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:09 pm

They gave me HG61386 how do I look that number up?

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:30 pm

That doesn't appear to be a valid DOT or MC number. Perhaps it's some kind of state licensing number which might be all they need to do a local move. Did they call that number any particular name when they gave it to you?

blanco

Postby blanco » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:14 pm

They said it was a Washington HG number. They said they don't have any of those other numbers you're talking about.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:53 pm

Okay, it sounds like a local company that doesn't do interstate moves. You're usually okay on a local move. It's the interstate moves that give scam companies a golden opportunity to cheat consumers. Other than checking with the BBB, which isn't at all reliable, I don't know of another way to check out this company. Perhaps one of the other volunteers will know how to check with state licensing authorities about the legitimacy of this company.

blanco

Postby blanco » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:09 pm

Thank you! I have a lot of valuable items that were my grandmothers and I just want to be sure everything is in safe, reliable hands so if anyone knows anything ,please let me know

TakeAStand

Postby TakeAStand » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:39 pm

Just checking back in since before Christmas. After a terrible experience with WorldWide Relocations, I booked with Rainier Overseas offices in Seattle and Tacoma and had very good luck. The Tacoma branch handled my move from SEattle to Germany without a hitch. Hope this helps

TakeAStand

Postby TakeAStand » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:41 pm

P.S. Didn't realize it was a local move. Bekins Northwest (not related to the national Bekins line) picked up and crated my belongings before Rainier Overseas arranged for transport to Germany. All the belongings, mirrors, pictures, bikes, etc. came through without a scratch thanks to their handling of the items and the good job of crating so I would also recommend them as a local possibility.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:07 am

For a local move, "jersey_grrl" recommended McCloud Moving in Bellevue run by the Zupans (206-248-1095). She said they had a terrific reputation and were booked up all year long - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12568
She was doing a long-distance move so didn't use them, but she worked for Microsoft and seemed to have a lot of experience with moving. She was registered here and conceivably would reply to a PM. This is a case where I think you should just call a lot of local people (realtors and such) and get their take on the companies you're considering.

Just a note that even companies that do a good job sometimes have licensing issues when they are very small.

Return to “Open Community”