weight vs. cubic feet in a cross country move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bpgoz

weight vs. cubic feet in a cross country move

Postby bpgoz » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:39 am

Hi-

First off, this is an excellent resource. Movers I was considering for a cross country move (NYC to SF) I've now disregarded b/c of information I've found on this site so thank you!

I do have a question, though: I've read a lot about not going with movers who charge by cubic feet but at the same time, I've read "ok" or good comments about some of those same movers (Big John's being one of them). Should I really disregard cubic feet movers altogether and only go with those movers who charge by weight? Thanks for the help here.

Also, anybody heard of/used American Home (Stevens)? My impression of Stevens is that they're pretty good. Saagan or CA Express will take care of the SF end of things but I'm curious about the NY side of things. Thanks for any add'l information you can provide!

Caryn J. Case

Re: weight vs. cubic feet in a cross country move

Postby Caryn J. Case » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:01 pm

Interstate moving is typically based on weight and miles. Drivers are required to provide weight tickets for each shipper. A shipper has the right to request a copy of that document on their estimate.

A shipper may request exclusive use of an entire truck, but that would be cost prohibitive for most shippers.

If a mover is attempting to sell you space on a truck, ask if he can document the actual space you are being billed for. I don't know that there is a standard for this type of documentation nationally at this time.
Caryn J. Case
Moving Consultant

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:04 pm

bpgoz wrote:I've read a lot about not going with movers who charge by cubic feet but at the same time, I've read "ok" or good comments about some of those same movers (Big John's being one of them).

This is the first I've heard that Big John's charges by cubic feet, which is a big no-no. Could you please give me the name of your contact at Big John's so I can call them to confirm this?

As for Stevens, the president of California Movers Express is a member on this website and the company has very good reviews here. I don't know anything about the agent in NYC though.
Last edited by Diane on Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:28 pm

The laws governing the moving industry deal with estimates that are based on the weight of your shipment; you have the right to be present when your shipment in weighed, you have the right to demand copies of the weight tickets, you have the right to demand that your shipment be re-wheighed and to be present. Nowhere do any of the laws deal with cubic feet so nobody is going to re-measure your shipment.

People who have had a successful move here with companies who gave them estimates based on cubic feet have done so at their own risk. I would never feel comfortable recommending any mover who incorporates cubic feet estimates into their business strategy.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

bpgoz

Postby bpgoz » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:06 pm

The person I spoke with at Big John's was named Lisa. I specifically asked "Do you charge by cubic feet or by weight?" and she replied "cubic feet."

Everyone is so adamant about not going with cubic feet that I'm trying hard to avoid it. Yet, again, I read some ok things abot Big John's thus the confusion.

The other companies I'm looking at are American Home/Stevens; Molloy Brothers/Mayflower; Liffey/Allied; Nassau/United. I also got a quote for California New York Express ($4800) but I seriously doubt I'll go with them based on all I've read at this site.

Once I have all final quotes, I'll be more than happy to share if everyone would be interested in seeing.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:05 pm

I think I'll wait to call Big John's rather than try to get through on a Friday afternoon. I'll post what I find out.

As long as you're getting estimates from agents of major van lines, I suggest that you also consider getting one from University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ. It has 7 good reviews on this website for interstate moves - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3063 - more than any other company except Delancey Street Movers and the freight companies ABF and Broadway Express. I'm not a big fan of moves that go into the van line system, but University Van Lines does so well on its self-hauls that I have a feeling it would try to maintain quality control overall. I assume that you don't want to move with a freight company, right? Of course, run from California New York Express.

bpgoz

Postby bpgoz » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:49 pm

Thanks, Diane. One question, though: I need someone to pack and move and I was under the impression that BE only did the moving and the consumer does the packing (unfortunately packing ourselves is not an option). I'm assuming that would be the same with University?

As for freight, sorry but I'm not clear on what, specifically, that means. I can search the site to see if there is already a discussion underway, though.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:05 pm

No, University is a full-service mover and would pack your things if you want. I assume you mean by "pack," putting things in boxes.

The two freight companies mentioned on this board are ABF and Broadway Express. ABF never packs or loads goods. BE occasionally packs if they happen to have a driver in the area who is trained as a household mover, but this is rare. Normally BE doesn't pack but the driver does help load the goods. (To people in the industry, "load" means putting things on the trailer.)

It sounds to me as if you want a full-service mover, meaning a company that would provide all the labor to load and unload, and would also pack your things if you want.

bpgoz

Postby bpgoz » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:36 pm

That is correct re: full service mover. Thanks for clarifying. I'll check with University as well. I appreciate the suggestion.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:15 pm

You're welcome. It's just that they have so many good reviews here and the others don't. (There can still be glitches with any move.) Also, "23" said that if you have AAA you can get free full replacement value coverage with Atlas, which could save you a few hundred dollars. Chances are that Big John's would be more expensive than University Van Lines. They just gave someone this quote for a NY to SF move:

Estimate = $6642.00 @ 5505 lbs
Big John's did say that they would try to match price if possible. I think they are a small shipper and wanted to combine shipments at the end of the month.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?3255

Note that they quoted him by pounds. You might want to contact the people on that thread by private message since you are doing the same move. Compare notes and save yourself some time.

Return to “Open Community”