exact same charge, different company

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
amoorthy

exact same charge, different company

Postby amoorthy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:10 pm

Just had estimate number 3 come in and wanted to ask if this is possible:

Crown Moving (Seattle) agent for Mayflower, gave me a guaranteed not to exceed of exactly $ 5645.35 (7225 lbs) plus ins.
The very professional and courteous estimator came with computer and latest technology to add the items up.

Boush Moving Puyallup (agent for Atlas) gave me a binding not to exceed of $ 5645.33 with weight estimate of 7800. The estimate is written up a bit unusually, in as much as a "total tariff charge of $ 16 129.53 is mentioned, then the discount amt of $ 10 484.20

The estimator came with a note pad and pen.

I am just curious how this can be.

Michael

Re: exact same charge, different company

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:46 pm

They both use the same tariff, so its very possible. Atlas must have given you a higher discount then Mayflower. Atlas showed you the full tariff cost then the discounted amount I believe from what your saying. Most companies dont show you the full price before discount, but will just show you the discounted price.

I noticed on your other post you said Wheaton and Mayflower? And here you say Atlas and Mayflower?

And ask why they cant guarantee 7600, but adding 400 more pouds they can?? Doesnt make sense to me.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

amoorthy

Postby amoorthy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:18 pm

I've got three separate estimates: from Olympic Moving (Wheaton), which I listed in a previous "quandary" posting; Crown (for Mayflower) and finally Boush (for Atlas). Yes, I wondered about the 400 lbs extra as well. That one came from Olympic. Maybe the estimator didn't realize I had been getting a little education about the various estimate types on this website. This site is an incredibly good resource. I can only thank you volunteers for your efforts. Also, I will post my experiences once the houshold & vehicle move is complete.

amoorthy

Postby amoorthy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:38 am

Now that the three estimates are in, and are reasonably close to each other, on what basis do you recommend making a choice?

1. Olympic (for Wheaton) non-binding 7600 lbs - $ 5300
same guar. TNE 8000 lbs - $ 5542

2. Crown (for Mayflower) guar. TNE 7225 lbs - $ 5645

3. Boush (for Atlas) guar. TNE 7800 lbs - $ 5645

insurance is separate in each case.

a) I have packed everything (incl. breakables) very carefully myself, using professional guidelines and good materials.
How does this impact any eventual claims (breakage etc)?

b)
Also, there was no mention on any estimate of any extra charges for stairs. Here, the estimators saw one flight of stairs. At the destination, there will be 2 flights of stairs to climb. Is it better to get in writing that stairway charges at the other end?

I am leaning toward Boush because it is an old local company and I think their packers would be careful loading at this end. However, I am not sure about how many cross-country treks they handle for Atlas, or if that matters. How does Atlas Van Lines rate compared to Mayflower or Wheaton? --
Next probably Crown because the estimator was incredibly thorough and took his time. Again, not sure how much that matters. He does represent his company well (David Rambin). --
Third Olympic for Wheaton but I didn't like the 400 lbs extra on the guaranteed quote (as Michael had pointed out as well). It felt like they were tossed in for the extra bucks. I have dealt with Olympic and local movers they bought up in a number of moves in the past. Those were small and local moves, though, and Wheaton was not involved.
They were always perfectly fine, and the movers were hard working people.

So which criteria should I use primarily to make a final decision?

By the way, I have decided to move everything (didn't get any answer to another post from yesterday titled "get a new quote?). Leaving 30% or so of my items behind clear across country is just too much hassle.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:55 am

amoorthy,

As a company, Atlas is rated higher then Mayflower. As an agent, I am not sure how each rates.

I would pass on Wheaton just cause they are doing the different weights for guarantees.

So decide between the other two based on who you feel more comfortable with.

Keep us posted,
Michael

Postby 23 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:30 am

Now that the three estimates are in, and are reasonably close to each other, on what basis do you recommend making a choice?

My opinion only:
I would eliminate Wheaton for the two different estimates and because they are small.
I would eliminate Mayflower, just because.
I would choose Atlas if these were my 3 estimates!
My opinion and my opinion only!

amoorthy

Postby amoorthy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:00 pm

michael,
that makes the decision rather easy then. Boush may be a small local company, but the estimator was the owner himself, and in spite of his yellow pad and pen (rather than fancy equipment), he seemed to know exactly what he was doing.

I will keep you posted.

Also, for information purposes, I wanted to pass on a bit on the vehicle transport companies I have researched.

the car will need to go from the Seattle area to NJ.

1. estimate: Alaska Vehicle transport of Federal Way WA (division of United Road Services): $ 1195, all insurance included, door to door.
I saw their office, and the employees are all knowledgable and professional. They don't seem to offer terminal-to-terminal but I may be wrong about this. Are quoting approx. 2 weeks delivery
No review of company available

2. Dependable Auto Serv. DAS
$ 710 terminal Lakewood WA to Linden NJ. Insurance extra
$ 885 door to door insurance extra
delivery approx 18 days

3. TnT Carlsbad CA
Internet quote with phone follow up by rep
$ 1440 door to door all inclusive
$ 1176 terminal to terminal all inclusive insurance
14 day guarantee, with bells and whistles (rental car if delivered late etc)

I had originally contacted them by phone, not by internet. The phone rep quoted approx. the above rates. When asked why they were so high, she said that they offer better shipment, guarantees, delivery etc. And "the others broker it out"...hmm. That puzzled me, as I thought I had read TnT was a broker. When questioned, she said they can do both, and have a new division that can ship for less, about $ 910.
Either the phone rep was new and not fully trained, or I didn't ask the proper questions. Things like that are a turn-off, and I have decided to use DAS. Also, decided to lower deduct. on my comprehensive auto insurance . Called my Farmer's agent, and she said that is okay but that I should be aware there still may be some "gray areas" when it comes to claims....depending on damage etc. So over and above, it may be a good idea to get DAS' insurance as well. Or is that overdoing it and throwing money away?

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:15 pm

Did you check with Atlas about moving your vehicle?
Michael

amoorthy

Postby amoorthy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:20 pm

good idea about the car. I have not asked Atlas or Boush about it.
I have not looked at their local office in person yet but am planning on just dropping in a little later. Also will cover my insurance and stairway questions with them in detail.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:22 pm

In regards to the stairs you are not charged for flights of stairs at orig or destination. That is included in the orig and dest fee. Also, the owner you say, and older, well I will say old dog never change, prefer the old ways of doing things, pen and pad, lol. :D
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:36 pm

amoorthy,

Thanks for this very thorough review of your quotes.

I think both Boush and Crown sound good but you realize that neither will be transporting your goods cross-country, right? I think that a long-haul driver working for the van line will do that. Nevertheless, the origin/booking agent is important. I don't share Michael's negative feeling about estimators who work with pencil and paper. I remember that one of the other moverpros posting here, IMP, said that she does all of her estimates by hand and I know that she is extremely competent and far from ancient.

If you use the Atlas agent, "23" has posted that you can get free full value replacement coverage if you have AAA.

On the auto transport companies, it's unsettling the way DAS seems better at one time, and Tn'T the next time, and so on. I don't like the way your interaction went with the Tn'T rep. It sounds as if she was quoting you whatever she thought she could get away with. I agree with your decision to use DAS.

I called my own auto insurer (Allstate) to check--theoretically--on whether they would cover a shipped auto for damage under my comprehensive because several people had posted that here. My agent, like yours, told me that it was a gray area and that I really should be insured under the auto transport company's insurance policy because they were going to be in charge of the vehicle while it was being moved. So I would be a bit wary about that. My agent told me to study the fact sheet that accompanies my Allstate auto insurance policy very carefully--I forget what it's called, maybe the declarations or "decs" page--because that and only that will govern whether the insurance will pay.

Please come back and report how both HHG and auto moves go.

amoorthy

Postby amoorthy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:54 pm

Diane-great tip on the AAA membership benefit. I was not aware of it, and spoke with Boush (Atlas agent) about it. He called about it, asured me it was a benefit he himself had not known of. This has saved me $ 250. Thank you very much!!

By the way, Michael: having Atlas ship a vehicle would be far more expensive than using a conventional vehicle shipper. So DAS is still on the agenda.

Thanks again, and more updates as things progress around here later this month.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:51 pm

Glad that the tip about FVR helped--it's "23" who should be thanked on this. I just hope that the saving isn't canceled out by money that you may have to pay to DAS for insurance to make sure you're covered.

I was very unsure about this issue after I spoke with my own agent. I do know of one case with Broadway Express where a customer's car was slightly damaged in transit and the customer's auto insurance paid. But if it had not paid, BE's negligent damage insurance would have paid. My gut feeling is that your auto insurance will probably pay even though they would prefer not to. You could send a PM to "jrebeiro" about this since he is the one who first suggested reducing the comprehensive to zero.

Also, I want to correct what I said above about Atlas not self-hauling their long-distance shipments at this time of year. Michael has said to me in a PM that Atlas agents have the option of self-hauling every shipment they book rather than putting it into the van line system. This apparently differs from the policy with United.

Me/Michael

Postby Me/Michael » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:26 pm

Diane,

Also, I dont think its a negative thing I said about someone that uses a pen and paper. What I find is people that are older and have been in the industry for 20 years or longer are not up to pace with new technology nor do they want to learn more about it or want to use it. Thats all. Its not a negative feeling I have towards people that dont use the new technology.

Its just saves tons of time from having to write everything down then figuring it out, and also it gives the customer something they can physical hold touch and see.

Michael

amoorthy

Postby amoorthy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:04 pm

D.A.S. charges $ 119 for insurance coverage with $ 100 deductible.
My comprehensive additional auto insurance premium, if reduced to zero, would add around $ 100 for 6 months. But the agent at Farmers mentioned that I could keep it down for a shorter time, maybe a month, and then change it back to the very high deductible I normally carry. This way, the cost would be negligible. DAS transport charges compare very favorably with the other two quotes (TnT and Alaska). Let's hope it is not a case of "you get what you pay for"....

About the notepad and pencil approach to estimating (dare I call it the Luddite Way :wink: ??) :
Waiting a day to get the print didn't matter to me. What impressed me was how accurately and fast the list was compiled by hand, and how close it came to the two other "high tech" versions.

Return to “Open Community”