Last minute move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jen74

Last minute move

Postby jen74 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:27 pm

Hi-
I previously posted under the topic "Any Reputable Moving Companies?". It's getting down to the wire here and I still haven't chosen a mover. The problem is that I need to have this done last minute, like sometime next week and it seems too short of notice for a lot of companies. Again my circumstances...DE 19933 to CA 90230. Shipment is small, 17 items (some small furniture items included) about 700 lbs. And I need a full service mover since I can't be at the pickup location, I have to arrange for someone else to be there. I've gotten some good quotes from these 3 companies:

1- ShipSmart $1,298.55
They are trying to find an available warehouse to do it on short notice, but it has been 2 days now and no answer. Feel like they are giving me the run around and every time I call I have to talk to a new person. Poor customer service it seems. Hesitant to use. Read all the mixed reviews on this site.

2- Navis $1287.41, w/ guaranteed pickup date: $1,449.71

3- Sterling Van Lines $1,078.22, w/ guaranteed pickup date: $1,494.24
(1st choice, very professional, but w/ guaranteed date more that I would like to spend).

So, questions remain...are there companies that do such last minute deals or do they all charge more to do so? I know these are all small move companies. Any advice?

Thanks.

Nancy

Re: Last minute move

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:40 pm

I would avoid Ship Smart since they don't have a contracted warehouse in place there. They are based in northern California, and I think are only good on moves to/from their home base.

The other prices sound reasonable to me. I don't think you could rent a truck for those prices on a cross country move, and I also do not think they are charging you extra for a last minute move. I would follow your gut felling and go with whichever of #2 or #3 that you like.

jen74

Postby jen74 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:55 pm

Thanks Nancy, I will take that into consideration. I am also considering Allied but I was forwarded to Delmarva Warehouses in DE and I have not been able to get in touch with anyone there as the phone just rings and rings. Not sure if that has anything to do with the 3 hour time difference, but you would think they'd at least have an answering service. The woman at Allied wasn't sure if they even accepted anything under 1000lbs. I am now going to try Beverly Hills Transfer (part of Allied) upon Diane's reccommendation. Also, yes, most of these small move companies I've talked to charge at least $150 more to do specific pick up dates.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:57 pm

If price is a concern, I don't think Allied will be much different from the others. You may have to focus on who can provide the service on the timeline you require. I'm not sure you need to waste your time bringing in one more company to give you the same price.

jen74

Postby jen74 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:01 pm

Yes, I don't feel the need to spend more than $1300. But timing is more the issue. Just bringing in another co. to see who can do it fastest.

Thanks for the input.

jen

Return to “Open Community”